Water in headlights - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
MustangCaracas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Other
Posts: 107
Water in headlights

Hi guys! The other day after i took my car to the car wash, noticed that there was water vapor inside the lights. This is not the first time. They are new! Just have like 2 months installed. How do i fix that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-999987541.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	42251   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2660987746.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	42252  

MustangCaracas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
90fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 302
Well your not going to want to, but I drilled small holes in my lenses. I kept on blowing headlight bulbs too, because of water in headlights.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
fultonboy09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 629
Did you caulk them b4 you installed them?
fultonboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Water in headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by fultonboy09 View Post
Did you caulk them b4 you installed them?
+1^.... he noone told him he had to silicone the aftermarkets/jdm style headlights before installing them.

rather u buy them from ebay..or sum other aftermarket vendor... they all cum from the same chinese factory. the designs are pretty good most of the time, but i have yet too see a set not leak if you dont silcone them first.

you can take them out, shake the water out, take a hair dryer to evaporate the rest of the water. get a 3 dollar tube of clear silicone and seal the edges where the lense meets the housing.

better yet, sendm back... when u get the replacement... silicone them before u install them. no more water issues.

u can also get a set of hid's for 32-50 dollars from ebay (depends if u get 35 or 55 watt set) and you wont have to worry bout blowing bulbes do to moisture anymore
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
You should take them off the car and properly dry them and reseal them, I don't recommend this only cause idk if it will damage this particurly headlight but my old car headlights leaked so I removed them and poured in about a half cup of rubbing alcohol and poured it out and blew air into the light for about 10 mins, the rubbing alcohol helps remove the water and drys really quick, but idk if it would damage a aftermarket headlight
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
MustangCaracas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Other
Posts: 107
I silicone them in the upper part. But not the rest of them. Honestly i wont drill em bacause i dont trust in my work hahaha
MustangCaracas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
tylerb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangCaracas
I silicone them in the upper part. But not the rest of them. Honestly i wont drill em bacause i dont trust in my work hahaha
I had the same ones for 2 days back in July.
tylerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter
 
primer2tone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Region: Texas
Posts: 6,752
Does the headlight housing have a vent? It usually looks like a little rubber macaroni and it has a little piece of sponge filter. If your headlights have this, check to be sure the sponge is in place. Also, Be sure the bulb is seated properly in the housing if the bulb doesn't seat properly, you'll have the same problem. If those two check out then go ahead and silicone all the way around the lens. Look for any holes on the housing or any thing that might indicate a place for moisture to enter the assembly.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
MustangCaracas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Other
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
Does the headlight housing have a vent? It usually looks like a little rubber macaroni and it has a little piece of sponge filter. If your headlights have this, check to be sure the sponge is in place. Also, Be sure the bulb is seated properly in the housing if the bulb doesn't seat properly, you'll have the same problem. If those two check out then go ahead and silicone all the way around the lens. Look for any holes on the housing or any thing that might indicate a place for moisture to enter the assembly.
Sure!
Thanks!
MustangCaracas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
tdurham19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx

+1^.... he noone told him he had to silicone the aftermarkets/jdm style headlights before installing them.

rather u buy them from ebay..or sum other aftermarket vendor... they all cum from the same chinese factory. the designs are pretty good most of the time, but i have yet too see a set not leak if you dont silcone them first.

you can take them out, shake the water out, take a hair dryer to evaporate the rest of the water. get a 3 dollar tube of clear silicone and seal the edges where the lense meets the housing.

better yet, sendm back... when u get the replacement... silicone them before u install them. no more water issues.

u can also get a set of hid's for 32-50 dollars from ebay (depends if u get 35 or 55 watt set) and you wont have to worry bout blowing bulbes do to moisture anymore
Do you have a link to these hids???
tdurham19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
eBay

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Xentechid is the seller, I already broke one ballast and they replaced it no problem, it was my fault why it broke tho
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
Titus Wadicus
Regular
 
svtlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Region: Ohio
Posts: 2,103
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: Water in headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
eBay

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

Xentechid is the seller, I already broke one ballast and they replaced it no problem, it was my fault why it broke tho
i usually buy the vvme brand... u get 5yr or lifetime replacement on ballast..ive sent 3 back already. bought ten pairs for me and friends family. custome service service speaks lil to no english....but they do honor their warranty. i have a couple sets 4+years old.

ive bought one xentec. the customer service is great too..and tend to speak english.
__________________

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
My xentec are good I just mounted one ballast in a spot that sees a lot of water I guess and it doesn't help I had the socket facing up so it eventually shorted out
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How To: Plasti Dip Your Car (In Depth, 6 pages worth of Microsoft Word) Topless04GT Mustang Paint, Appearance & Detailing 318 05-17-2017 01:40 PM
if you could have ANY stang in the world, which one would it be?? zeltik General Car Discussion 80 03-14-2012 09:46 PM
Missing 6th gear in Beater Car mongo1970 2011-2014 Mustang GT 7 03-04-2012 10:45 AM
At the dealership in Lawton, OK GT500_CW3 Shelby Mustang 0 02-29-2012 07:59 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



11:37 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.