mods and insurance - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #1

Region: Canada
mods and insurance

I recently changed to a new insurance company..house and autos....
On one of the auto forms it asked for qhat modifications (if any). Like a dumb @$$ I indicated CAI, exhaust and lowered suspension. shortly after I was notified by my broker that they didnt want to cover my mustang because the mods were designed to increase speed.
I was able to talk my way out of it..explained it is my DD etc.
Part of me says never again disclose that info, however I also dont want to be a place.where something happens and they wont replace modded items ..so I want the correct coverage.

Just curious if any of you modders have insurance suggestions..what do you do?
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
What I did is called my agent and explained to him what I have done with my car he sent out an appraiser and appraised the car for its current value I have all my receipts. They readjusted my policy to cover the mods. My premium only went up a few dollars and my company is Allstate
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Never herd such a thing. I got quotes from 5 companys, none of them asked. I wouldn't lie tho,it'd give them a reason to deny coverage in an accident and u know how insurance co are. I'd been with progressive for 12yrs and they wanted over 1,100 a yr. Needless to say I switched all my ins and got it for $450.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

If I ever switch again , it'll be state farm. I had an idiot run over my new bike (he had them ) and they were the best co I've ever dealt with. They gave me what I paid for it ,no depreciation .
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Re: mods and insurance

Some stuff, you just have to take a lost for. You want coverage over your life or coverage over your car? Stop trying to get someone else to pay for the Exhaust you put in or the CAI you put in. I'd rather them pay for getting me A car back. It'd be nice if a company could pay for all the stuff I did to my car, but I'd be more happier if they just replaced the car I just lost. I'm just sayin.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
Never herd such a thing. I got quotes from 5 companys, none of them asked. I wouldn't lie tho,it'd give them a reason to deny coverage in an accident and u know how insurance co are. I'd been with progressive for 12yrs and they wanted over 1,100 a yr. Needless to say I switched all my ins and got it for $450.

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

If I ever switch again , it'll be state farm. I had an idiot run over my new bike (he had them ) and they were the best co I've ever dealt with. They gave me what I paid for it ,no depreciation .
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATO
Some stuff, you just have to take a lost for. You want coverage over your life or coverage over your car? Stop trying to get someone else to pay for the Exhaust you put in or the CAI you put in. I'd rather them pay for getting me A car back. It'd be nice if a company could pay for all the stuff I did to my car, but I'd be more happier if they just replaced the car I just lost. I'm just sayin.
Have u ever heard of gap insurance on a new or used car? The way I set up my policy was based off those principles. My car had an x value it is worth, so if it gets totaled I get x amount. I pay for the difference in coverage for the mods, like I said I have receipts so I can prove worth, there for no one is really paying to replace exhaust or cai except me. In my experience I found that covering ur mods to ur car is no different than insuring my wife's wedding ring! All u have to do is call ur agent and ask , and another thing to keep in mind insurance policys vary from state to state
Rm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
That sounds like what I have thur hagerty on my 5.0 I can drive it 1k miles . If totaled they pay me 8k for $170 a year. The cost is based on what I think It's worth and miles I plan on driving,not blue book. Good deal since speedo doesn't work.LOL
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
old *** post but what company wass this?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Gravydog316
[QUOTE=Sterlingbeast5.0;2313907[/QUOTE]

I dunno; but here, our insurance is government run, & auto insurance is $100/month, regardless of age, mods, etc.
Gravydog316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I guess that's the upside to communism.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Regular

hey, communism works, if people wouldn't get greedy
Old 11-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
hey, communism works, if people wouldn't get greedy

It looks like we are headed there too so we will find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravydog View Post
I dunno; but here, our insurance is government run, & auto insurance is $100/month, regardless of age, mods, etc.
That's interesting! So the drivers that avoid getting into accidents help pay for the ones that make all the claims. Yeah I think I would be too greedy to like that.
I much prefer my $33/mo/car
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Regular

yup.
that's the government for you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT