Is there any way to increase mpg - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Is there any way to increase mpg

I currently own an 06 GT, I'm getting roughly 15 to16 mpg . I drive regularly about 12hwy and 3 on street twice a day. I take it easy on the gas pedal. I notice a decrease of 1 to 2 mpg when I added a cai and tuner. I'm running performance on 91, the street tune was giving me less mpg...
I'm not complaining but any extra mpg will be great with gas going up so hi.
Thanks
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #2

Region: Florida
Try to get up in the gears faster us cruise control at or just above the speed limit. I just got 20 mpg in my 05 GT vert 5 spd with CAI 87 eco tune running 89.

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliotGT
Try to get up in the gears faster use cruise control at or just above the speed limit. I just got 20 mpg in my 05 GT vert 5 spd with CAI 87 eco tune running 89.
EliotGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm averaging 27 mpg on and 20-22 city using 93 octane race tune and every bolt on except intake manifold and heads... I'm thinking if I change my tune to the 93 street I could possibly see 30 mpg

Google the British top gear episode where Jeramy takes a jag or something to 42mpg by changing is driving techniques... That helped me a lot too
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay
I currently own an 06 GT, I'm getting roughly 15 to16 mpg . I drive regularly about 12hwy and 3 on street twice a day. I take it easy on the gas pedal. I notice a decrease of 1 to 2 mpg when I added a cai and tuner. I'm running performance on 91, the street tune was giving me less mpg...
I'm not complaining but any extra mpg will be great with gas going up so hi.
Thanks
That's what I get, but I drive it like I stole it. The way a mustangs supposed to be driven.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I get 20 city and 22 - 24 hwy in an 06 gt if I drive really way on it and shift at like 2000 rpm. When I drive it like a mustang should be driven I get like 16 - 18 mpg and I have some bolt-ons as well. But would still love to get better gas mileage.
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I get 18 I drive not slow so I think 18 pretty good
undertaker.s197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So here's the deal. If you drive the average miles per year 15,000, or 1,250 per month. For every 5 mpg you can improve that's 12.5 gallons saved or $50/month at $4.00 per gallon.
So to drive like grandma all month and gain 5 mpg you only save $50.00. Wow, really.
Bottom line - You bought a muscle car, drive it like a muscle car. Or trade it in on a Prius of ***** and enjoy your few extra bucks driving that joke.
It's really not as big a savings as you think.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #8

Region: Canada
+1
Drive it like a mustang...and enjoy it.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
What the hell. I am averaging 21-22 with 3.73s and running 93 brenspeed tune. Im doing better than I thought.
Also im about 60% hwy.
MavyMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's funny how people say drive it like a muscle car... If any of you were to drive like a teenager in their moms Honda to the mustang events I attend u would b asked to leave... To me people that drive like a bat out of hell every where they go A. Don't have a "fast" car B. look like they have something to prove C. Try and b something they are not.... I look at driving normal like a form of flirting, people will look/listen to u drive by and think MAN that thing is bad... I bet that thing can fly... Tease people don't reveal everything u got every where u go... (u don't see high end sports cars getting side ways every where they go do u? It's called class)

Don't get me wrong I jump on it daily but I don't rag the piss out of my car just because... I like to wait for a worthy opponent or a long curvy road w long straights... To each their own but to me it sounds like a lot of folks on these boards drive like RICE (unless I'm reading into what you all are saying wrong)
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lol true that... Like I said I don't Ming wasting my money in gas but if I could improve it a little why not... I don't like driving all hard, smashing on every stop sign, I'm not trying to get peoples attention or showing off that I could burn out...
I do smash my car but not everyday.
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok
So here's the deal. If you drive the average miles per year 15,000, or 1,250 per month. For every 5 mpg you can improve that's 12.5 gallons saved or $50/month at $4.00 per gallon.
So to drive like grandma all month and gain 5 mpg you only save $50.00. Wow, really.
Bottom line - You bought a muscle car, drive it like a muscle car. Or trade it in on a Prius of ***** and enjoy your few extra bucks driving that joke.
It's really not as big a savings as you think.
I agree that for most people its not a huge savings and if it was all about gas savings then yes go buy a damn prius. BUT, for those of us driving over 2000 miles per month, a savings of 5 - 6 mpgs does add up quickly. I get on my mustang at least a couple times a week, but the rest of the time I do drive pretty conservatively. I would not trade driving my mustang as my daily driver for a prius or any other gas conserving vehicle, but any way to make driving it everyday easier helps.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not saying to do a burnout at each light. If you're driving a ton each month then a little improvement on long drives will add up. The point is that with normal mileage you're not saving hundreds a month.
I don't know about your car flirting, that's a little weird.
But if you're scared that each time you accelerate you're killing your mpg, then you probably need a different car. You should be able to enjoy the Mustang.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not saying to do a burnout at each light. If you're driving a ton each month then a little improvement on long drives will add up. The point is that with normal mileage you're not saving hundreds a month.
I don't know about your car flirting, that's a little weird.
But if you're scared that each time you accelerate you're killing your mpg, then you probably need a different car. You should be able to enjoy the Mustang.
That I agree with. You have to have fun with a car as cool as a mustang.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I never said anything remotely close to worrying about mpgs... During the week I have to... I also drive 150 miles in a day 3-4 times a week... It's also fun to to get almost 30 mpg in a muscle car... It's a competition w my self to try and get the best mpgs from day to day out of this car... I know what I'm capable of, and what the car is capable of, I have nothing to prove to no one... I enjoy driving this car day in an day out whether its in a race or pushing the car to its limits on a curve... Or simply cruising through town an not crush a SS that is trying hard to get me to run em... Because I KNOW he's wasting his time... That sir is flirting... Because that guy heard my car rumble away from a stop light and the thought crossed his mind "I wonder if...... But he will never know and it eats away at him for a few minutes

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomo2

That I agree with. You have to have fun with a car as cool as a mustang.
Y'all must not have read my entire post... Ur making it out like I drive this car like a school bus driver lol... I drive conservatively until provoked by a worthy opponent b it a car or road... And ur definition of fun is different then mine... I don't see how driving like a new york cab driver is fun every where u go
Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I think it's funny how people say drive it like a muscle car... If any of you were to drive like a teenager in their moms Honda to the mustang events I attend u would b asked to leave... To me people that drive like a bat out of hell every where they go A. Don't have a "fast" car B. look like they have something to prove C. Try and b something they are not.... I look at driving normal like a form of flirting, people will look/listen to u drive by and think MAN that thing is bad... I bet that thing can fly... Tease people don't reveal everything u got every where u go... (u don't see high end sports cars getting side ways every where they go do u? It's called class)

Don't get me wrong I jump on it daily but I don't rag the piss out of my car just because... I like to wait for a worthy opponent or a long curvy road w long straights... To each their own but to me it sounds like a lot of folks on these boards drive like RICE (unless I'm reading into what you all are saying wrong)
Agreed.
It's like a first place sports team rushing a field or court after destroying a last place team. Have some class, dignity, respect and act like you've been here(in a sports car, the muscle car era has been over for decades) before.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Agreed.
It's like a first place sports team rushing a field or court after destroying a last place team. Have some class, dignity, respect and act like you've been here(in a sports car, the muscle car era has been over for decades) before.
How did this turn into racing everybody? Nobody said anything about racing SS's or anything else. It was about enjoying your car and not driving around like a granny worried about losing 1 mpg.
I think the muscle car era is alive and revived. Otherwise why make Shelby's or increase HP on GT's and V6. Why is the camaro and challenger back?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

How did this turn into racing everybody? Nobody said anything about racing SS's or anything else. It was about enjoying your car and not driving around like a granny worried about losing 1 mpg.
I think the muscle car era is alive and revived. Otherwise why make Shelby's or increase HP on GT's and V6. Why is the camaro and challenger back?
I didn't say anything about racing period.
The muscle car era is gone, and has been so for decades as I stated because today's sports cars are over produced, over engineered and over priced. They will never be worth(in sentiment or monetarily) what the true muscle cars are. The muscle cars are increasing in value and rarity everyday, where as today's sports cars are doing the exact opposite. The newer sports cars are marketed as muscle cars to draw older consumers in to relive their youth or have their mid life crisis, and to make younger consumers feel like they have or are living their parents youth. The next Mustang redesign will not be remotely retro as this phase is passing. The Challenger and Camaro came back retro to piggy back off the successes of the retro Mustang, and have done so. After the Mustang steps off the retro scene watch closely as the other two follow suit. These are just my opinions and observations, you do not have to like or agree with them. Simply stating my opinion with no intention of offending or upsetting anyone.

Also the original poster asked for ideas on improving mileage, to which my only suggestion is to drive conservatively, which I do myself. For me, I bought this, my third mustang to enjoy the ride and the view while looking good doing it, not to see how quickly I can get there. I'm over that phase of my life, and when I do feel the need to get there fast, I have a liter bike.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

+1
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #20

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545

+100 totally agree. The unknown is more appealing than watching someone rag the piss out they car ...... It's called occasional not on every occasion !!!!
SNK3BTE04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

I didn't say anything about racing period.
The muscle car era is gone, and has been so for decades as I stated because today's sports cars are over produced, over engineered and over priced. They will never be worth(in sentiment or monetarily) what the true muscle cars are. The muscle cars are increasing in value and rarity everyday, where as today's sports cars are doing the exact opposite. The newer sports cars are marketed as muscle cars to draw older consumers in to relive their youth or have their mid life crisis, and to make younger consumers feel like they have or are living their parents youth. The next Mustang redesign will not be remotely retro as this phase is passing. The Challenger and Camaro came back retro to piggy back off the successes of the retro Mustang, and have done so. After the Mustang steps off the retro scene watch closely as the other two follow suit. These are just my opinions and observations, you do not have to like or agree with them. Simply stating my opinion with no intention of offending or upsetting anyone.

Also the original poster asked for ideas on improving mileage, to which my only suggestion is to drive conservatively, which I do myself. For me, I bought this, my third mustang to enjoy the ride and the view while looking good doing it, not to see how quickly I can get there. I'm over that phase of my life, and when I do feel the need to get there fast, I have a liter bike.
I believe you agreed with the rant on racing by another poster, which was my reference to racing by both comments. BTW that poster talks about racing camaro's fairly often. But I digress.

I guess it all depends on your definition of muscle car. Mine is a long hood, short trunk, 2 door, HP car that fits a working man's budget and people modify to suit their desires. They were and still are the sports car that people can afford as opposed to a vette, lambo or viper. The camaro followed the original mustang in 67 just like they did again. There's always a certain amount of marketing crap involved, look what happened to the mustang in 1974.

No one has been offended or upset.
It's about enjoying your car the way you want to. You bought yours to look good and drive conservatively. That's great for you. But many of us bought it to get a quick shot to 70 or 80 on the freeway or pass a car on that 2 lane road.
I just get tired of others classifying everyone that likes to go faster as some reckless 16 year old moron. There is a difference between driving dangerously through neighborhoods or cities and enjoying your car on the freeway or at the track. If that's where are now then the new mustang should a 4 banger hybrid so we can all just look good.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Is there any way to increase mpg

regular upkeep along with good driving habits can help (mods can also help (intake/exhaust/pulley/lighter weight/etc)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe you agreed with the rant on racing by another poster, which was my reference to racing by both comments. BTW that poster talks about racing camaro's fairly often. But I digress.

I guess it all depends on your definition of muscle car. Mine is a long hood, short trunk, 2 door, HP car that fits a working man's budget and people modify to suit their desires. They were and still are the sports car that people can afford as opposed to a vette, lambo or viper. The camaro followed the original mustang in 67 just like they did again. There's always a certain amount of marketing crap involved, look what happened to the mustang in 1974.

No one has been offended or upset.
It's about enjoying your car the way you want to. You bought yours to look good and drive conservatively. That's great for you. But many of us bought it to get a quick shot to 70 or 80 on the freeway or pass a car on that 2 lane road.
I just get tired of others classifying everyone that likes to go faster as some reckless 16 year old moron. There is a difference between driving dangerously through neighborhoods or cities and enjoying your car on the freeway or at the track. If that's where are now then the new mustang should a 4 banger hybrid so we can all just look good.
That's is what I do, this is what I was hoping y'all were trying to say.... That's not what y'all made it sound like .... I think we are all on the same page. We just used different words to describe our driving style
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
regular upkeep along with good driving habits can help (mods can also help (intake/exhaust/pulley/lighter weight/etc)
Do the pulleys actually help?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Dakota
Close your eyes when you're at the pump. Ignorance is bliss

Grabber orange is NOT yellow!!!
dimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
I'm averaging 27 mpg on and 20-22 city using 93 octane race tune and every bolt on except intake manifold and heads... I'm thinking if I change my tune to the 93 street I could possibly see 30 mpg

Google the British top gear episode where Jeramy takes a jag or something to 42mpg by changing is driving techniques... That helped me a lot too
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
That's what I get, but I drive it like I stole it. The way a mustangs supposed to be driven.
I get 12-14 city and 17-19 highway with a 93 Race tune from bama 'all out' and the mods in my sig.

A good way to inch a few MPG out of any car is to coast/cruise in the gear you are in at the time you realize you need to stop and then right before the car gets to a stall speed, pop it in neutral.

A car in neutral utilizes MORE fuel than a car coasting in gear without the pedal pressed down or when downshifted.

Down shifting also adds a little extra wear but the compromise is to coast in say, 5th from 50 MPH to zero then pop it in neutral at almost a complete stop.

The reason for this is when the car is coasting and you do not have the pedal down, it doesn't use less gas, it uses ZERO gas. Same effect, but in reverse, as push starting a vehicle.

The engine RPM are still up keeping the car on. Popping into neutral from 50 to then slow down will utilize more fuel than coasting in X gear then dropping into neutral at the last minute.

Additionally, shifting at the proper RPM helps tremendously. Mainly because driving conservatively and shifting too low actually utilizes more fuel also since the engine is laboring more. Learning your car and choosing the correct gear to speed will optimize fuel efficiency. Which is the reasoning behind my GT getting better city MPG with 4.10 gears.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

The hell with mileage in a Mustang thats what a second car is for
blkbulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If anyone is worried about fuel effeciency i will be willing to sell you this awesome 1979 moped that gets roughly 75 mpg (ps its only a one gallon tank) oh yeah if you ever run out of gas or you want to conserve has you can always pedal!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120420_004234.png
Views:	246
Size:	733.4 KB
ID:	47694  
fresh2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh2death
If anyone is worried about fuel effeciency i will be willing to sell you this awesome 1979 moped that gets roughly 75 mpg (ps its only a one gallon tank) oh yeah if you ever run out of gas or you want to conserve has you can always pedal!
That is a pretty sweet moped.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #30

Region: Illinois

The mileage is what it is man. Our cars aren't supposed to be the most efficient on the road, but they damn sure are some of the most bada$$ out there.

Do we look for ways to cut calories on our triple bacon cheeseburgers and fries?? Same type of thing, just accept it for what it is and ENJOY the hell out of it.

My 2 cents...
RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkbulit
The hell with mileage in a Mustang thats what a second car is for
Or a sports bike so you can keep the adrenaline ur mustang gives u
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York

U got that s@#t right
blkbulit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Mine gets great mpg for a 300+hp car lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT