4.10s/tuner or cai/tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
4.10s/tuner or cai/tuner

I know this threads probably been posted slot but I am having trouble deciding on what to spend my tax return on. I have stock 3.31s and an 08 gt

"Too much horsepower is not enough"
MikesChargedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
410s and tune you won't be disappoint trust me I know from experience

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Alright and I'm a mechanic but never changed gears before how complicated is it also do we come factory with limited slip??? And are the gains really that good?? I have a commute to work but I'll suffer for go power, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Easy if you have all the tools, and a good write up. I did mine own when I was 17 with the help of my dad, but I had to paid to get it done this time cause the lack of time and tools

Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChargedGT
Alright and I'm a mechanic but never changed gears before how complicated is it also do we come factory with limited slip??? And are the gains really that good?? I have a commute to work but I'll suffer for go power, thanks!
A lot of guys I know who either do it themselves or heck even pay a mechanic wind up have some sort of issue with the gear swap. Yes it's not too complicated,but to do it right requires some special tool from Ford to set the shim gap to get the gears to mesh at the correct tolerance.

All that being said you could very well do this and never have an issue. I would recommend you read up about how others did the swap to see if it's something you want to undertake.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Ya...you must be very precise and make sure everything matches perfectly or you are gonna get gear whine.
As far as the choice of mods goes, I would get the intake tuner combo first. Reason being is that you are going to pull more power. Without a CAI, your tune will only give you so much. Gears are an absolute must. I had an open 3.31 and swapped to 3.73 Traclok. World of difference. The only thing is you are not getting HP with gears. You are just feeling like you did. The ideal situation would be to get everything at once. But if you can't I would get the intake tuner combo first. Add the gears later. You need the tuner to recal your speedo anyway.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Also, check your axle code on your door jamb. I cannot remember which code means what but mine is CG which is 3.31 open.
MavyMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Mine is cg

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

I can get the gear and tuner combo and my tax return will only cover one mod I just want the one that will give me the most off the line pull

Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesChargedGT
Mine is cg

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

I can get the gear and tuner combo and my tax return will only cover one mod I just want the one that will give me the most off the line pull
Tune first then gears

Old 04-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
A cai is incredibly over rated... People describe it as if u are driving a whole new car... If u want to know what driving a whole new car feels like but the gears lol... 4:10s have always been my favorite mod... U will smoke anyone who has just an intake and tune...

But if u buy used then u can have all 3... Just a thought... There is a bran new set of 4:10s on Dallas craigslist right now for $100 proly talk him down to $80
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
A cai is incredibly over rated... People describe it as if u are driving a whole new car... If u want to know what driving a whole new car feels like but the gears lol... 4:10s have always been my favorite mod... U will smoke anyone who has just an intake and tune...

But if u buy used then u can have all 3... Just a thought... There is a bran new set of 4:10s on Dallas craigslist right now for $100 proly talk him down to $80
Gears are an excellent mod. But a CAI is not overrated IMO. Better airflow is the key to horsepower. An intake makes a noticeable difference. Plain and simple. The stock intake is very restrictive.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My point is this.... Stick a k&n on ur stock intake and throw a tune on ur car... And do the normal cai/tune from am and tell me they both don't feel the same...
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
All u need tool wise is torque wrench, and dial indicator
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
My point is this.... Stick a k&n on ur stock intake and throw a tune on ur car... And do the normal cai/tune from am and tell me they both don't feel the same...
Been there done that. Does not feel the same. You can actually hear my intake draw air when you hit the gas. A K&N will increase flow. But the air gets restricted by the elbow.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Is the difference enough to spend the money? I know it restricts... But a jlt 3/ tune is not the same as putting 4:10s in ur car
Old 04-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 4.10s/tuner or cai/tuner

Well as I see it now the kit for 4.10s tuner and royal purple gear oil is 549 plus install will take a while but I know ill get that low end punch by pulling through the RPMs faster but then again I do alot of out of town trips and work is out of town, the CAI and tune is a nice first mod because I get a tuner and I can get a nice little boost from the combo and keep my MPGs the same BUT for that much money........idk if its even worth it when gears cost about the same

Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for the long post the first mod is always a big one lol

Old 04-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I have 4.10s , if I used it for a dd I don't think I'd like them.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #18

Region: Canada
I recently upgraded to 4.10s in my 07 vert. I love the extra kick it gives and how it gets me into the higher rpms quicker.
This is my dd.
Definitely a worthwhile upgrade.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
cai