X pipes or Flowmasters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
X pipes or Flowmasters

I know that people don't like repeat thread, I searched and did not really find any but I do have a low attention span so I am sorry if this is a repeat.

I am new to the fixing up my car. I had a '98 mustang when I was 15 and it was not legally mine and my dad would not let me do any thing. Now that I am older I just bought an '07 GT a few months ago. The sound is okay, but I want a louder more aggressive sound. I have asked around with my friends who owned mustangs before and there is a split vote on the X pipes and FlowMasters. I don't know what to put on my car, but I know I want something on there. She sounds good now but she needs to sound more aggressive.

Plus I've heard that flowmasters make a popping sound? And what is the difference in sound with an xpipe and an off-road x-pipe? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Ash's07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: X pipes or Flowmasters

the new stangs dont make as much noise with just axle backs~ if you want it loud you will need to change out the stock H pipe and such.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

well i dont know much about the 05+, but i had just a flowmaster cb n my 04 gt and it sounded ok. Then I put on a set of bbk lt's and a bbk x-pipe and i absolutly love the sound. Very exotic,mean and rumbly, exactly how a mustang should sound.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Ive heard catbacks on 05+'s and they make about half the sound difference a pre 05 has with a catback.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

just run headers.... it will get you what you want - loud!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

i guess what you are asking is what pieces you should change first, be it your catback or your midpipe.

IMO id say grab a catback first and install that, though i wouldnt go flowmasters unless you like your mustang sounding like everyone else.

if after the catback isnt enough, swap out the midpipe. there are two types, X or H. Xpipes usually give more exotic and defined exhaust tone and more top end power with less low end torque (generally), whereas Hpipes will give you that rumbley muscle-car tone (almost the tone you feel with the stock H) and generally give you more low end power increase than top end.

going catless or high-flow cats also has a big difference in tone, loudness and performance. Catless gives you more power and loudness, exhaust velocity is increased due to the lack of backpressure, you gain more power but lose low end torque when removing catalytics, and you will also need some sort of device to turn off the rear 02 sensors as to not throw CEL's, this can be done in the tune (via dyno or handhelds) or with 02 Eliminators, which in my experience, are pretty hit and miss. High-Flow cats are the best of both worlds, give you better flow while still being legal, and most times you wont need to worry about the 02 Sensors.

your best bet is to find exhaust clips of various mustangs and their setups, and go with what you like best; everyone has their own idea of what a mustang should sound like, which is why mustang exhaust is the biggest aftermarket part selection available for our cars, and why its the hardest part(s) you will ever have to choose.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM   #7

Region: Maryland

I too am in this same confusing stage. I personally think that the new pypes mid-muffler CB sounds awesome, but I'm torn btw it and a full 3" Bassani x-pipe/CB. Everything that I hear about flowmasters is they don't sound like flowmasters on the new stangs. I haven't personally hear it, but the clips don't sound too promising (got that tin-can sound)
Darkhorse_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

The best sounding cat-back system on 05+'s is the Borla/Ford Racing system...It goes for a nice low purr at idle and has that perfect throating roar up in the RPM...

if you are looking for an even louder sound, my suggestion would be long-tubes and an X-pipe...either catted or non-catted...I have found that Stainless Works makes probably the best looking/sounding full exhaust setup for the 05+'s IMO...so I would probably suggest going with a Borla/Ford Racing cat-back along with a full stainless works long tube/high-flow catted x-pipe setup...IF you have the money for it...you are looking at about $1500-2000 worth of parts there...

but as most people will attest to in the car world, you really do get what you pay for...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I have Flows on my car and I like them a lot. I have an X-pipe welded to the factory cats. and it dosen't pop at all I'm getting ready to cut open the cats and bore them out I'll let u know what they sound like then

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

^ save the scrap and sell it for platinum!! $$$$$

okay there is so little its not worth it.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
I have Flows on my car and I like them a lot. I have an X-pipe welded to the factory cats. and it dosen't pop at all I'm getting ready to cut open the cats and bore them out I'll let u know what they sound like then
What size tube do you have? I can't really rely on what "computer clips" sound like, but original exhaust map was a bassani 3" xpipe welded to the factory cats, and running 3" all the way back to a set of 40 series. You said that yours don't have that horrible metal sound that the clips do? If so, gives me new hope for my original plan.
Darkhorse_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

I have the factory mid pipes and American Thunder mufflers for the 05+ GT and I don't get and popping. but when I remove the cats I don't know what it will sound like

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #13

I also have flowmasters on my '05 GT. It sounds very nice, is noticably louder, and definitely has the characteristic flowmaster sound. I disagree with going with the ford racing axle back system. A friend of mine has it, in addition to BBK shorties, and the ford x replacement and mine is still louder and better sounding with just the flowmaster axle back. I personally think that the ford racing axle back sounds a bit like glass packs, but not as extreme. I do agree that you probably couldn't go wrong if you use borla xr-1s, they make almost anything sound awesome.
jwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #14

Region: Canada

I have the ford racing x-pipe and gta mufflers. If its good enough for Shelby , its good enough for me !!
karrnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

I would run some X pipes to equalize the exhaust pressure, also headers will help with power and the decible level as well. If thats not enought then add some flowmasters all in all you will have one louder car, better hp and tq plus added fuel economy, if you drive it right......
I have used flowmaster for years and have em on all of my V8's no poping they sound great.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

I run the magnaflow "true X" x-pipe with cats and the Magnapack exhaust on my 05. They sound great, not too overbearingly loud and no popping........
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - For American Muscle Cars
MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust - For American Muscle Cars
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas

I have the polished stainless Pypes Violator Axle back, and they look and sound great. I decided to go with polished mufflers since they are visible from the rear of the car. And they were cheap at around $240 for the pair shipped.
fear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab

x-pipes....
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

The new line of flowmasters they are making cackle when you put tail pipes on them.

I vote off road X pipe and a older style 40 series or so flowmaster
Gibbyzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee

The 40's make some sweet notes.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #21

Region: Massachusetts

Headers and Xpipes
rtracer408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT