Sparkplug Qs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Sparkplug Qs

First off, are they really that big of a ***** to replace referring to them breaking. Because that would suck!

Secondly, of all of you that have replaced them, what did you replace them with? Any plugs seemingly the best? Thanks guys! (and girls)
WillysYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
The highly the mileage the harder it is, and there is a certain way ford removes them, I don't think it's as bad as people say

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysYJ
First off, are they really that big of a ***** to replace referring to them breaking. Because that would suck!

Secondly, of all of you that have replaced them, what did you replace them with? Any plugs seemingly the best? Thanks guys! (and girls)
First of all, this is a 3 day process to make it easier.. So plan ahead!

1st day, take coil packs off and soak with penetrating oil, turn spark plugs "barely".. Just brake them loose.. Just a bump! Drive it. Distance doesn't really matter at long as it gets warm and stays warm for a little bit..

Day 2, repeat step one! But tighten plugs and then bump loose again...

Day 3, they should come out easily.. Use penetrating oil!!

And as far as what type of plugs.. The reason our cars have such problems is that the plugs are in two pieces.. Boush has a one piece plug that I would suggest.. Good luck!
Charles.young10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

Region: Arizona
Not necessarily I replaced mine and they did not break once..and I was worried about them breaking so I purchased the lisle 65600 for nothing..any takers??? Unused and new!!
N8ive Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: Sparkplug Qs

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8ive Mustang View Post
Not necessarily I replaced mine and they did not break once..and I was worried about them breaking so I purchased the lisle 65600 for nothing..any takers??? Unused and new!!
Where are you from?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #6

Region: Arizona
Az
N8ive Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles.young10

First of all, this is a 3 day process to make it easier.. So plan ahead!

1st day, take coil packs off and soak with penetrating oil, turn spark plugs "barely".. Just brake them loose.. Just a bump! Drive it. Distance doesn't really matter at long as it gets warm and stays warm for a little bit..

Day 2, repeat step one! But tighten plugs and then bump loose again...

Day 3, they should come out easily.. Use penetrating oil!!

And as far as what type of plugs.. The reason our cars have such problems is that the plugs are in two pieces.. Boush has a one piece plug that I would suggest.. Good luck!
That's an unnecessary amount of unneeded work. Mine had 85,000 and a SMALL spray of penetrating oil. Yes they were tight but none broke. I used the champion 1 piece plug.
BCS06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS06GT

That's an unnecessary amount of unneeded work. Mine had 85,000 and a SMALL spray of penetrating oil. Yes they were tight but none broke. I used the champion 1 piece plug.
Unnecessary until one of them broke on you.. Then you will wish you had done it!

Better safe then sorry.....
Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Unnecessary until one of them broke on you.. Then you will wish you had done it!

Better safe then sorry.....
No, your talking about dragging out a simple tune up over 3 days.... I don't know how safe it really is when you talk about spraying half a can of penetrating oil into each hole
Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS06GT

No, your talking about dragging out a simple tune up over 3 days.... I don't know how safe it really is when you talk about spraying half a can of penetrating oil into each hole
Lol, just read up man.. SO many people have problems with the plugs breaking.. It's NOT as simple as you make it out to be.. Just because you got lucky, doesn't mean every one else will.. There is a reason shops charge over 500 just for a tune up on 4.6/5.4 motors..
Old 04-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I think I'll be stopping by Advance Auto in my way home after the gym.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysYJ
I think I'll be stopping by Advance Auto in my way home after the gym.
Also, what's the "best" plug to replace with?
WillysYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles.young10 View Post
Lol, just read up man.. SO many people have problems with the plugs breaking.. It's NOT as simple as you make it out to be.. Just because you got lucky, doesn't mean every one else will.. There is a reason shops charge over 500 just for a tune up on 4.6/5.4 motors..
Because people like you (no offense), buy into the hype. It can be broken loose safely in a day. Sure it is dangerous but no need to drag out the work for 3 days. Given what we all know can be dangerous we should be ready to remove broken plugs. That being said, there is nothing wrong with you taking 3 days. If you have the time to give up the car. I think better safe than sorry.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

Because people like you (no offense), buy into the hype. It can be broken loose safely in a day. Sure it is dangerous but no need to drag out the work for 3 days. Given what we all know can be dangerous we should be ready to remove broken plugs. That being said, there is nothing wrong with you taking 3 days. If you have the time to give up the car. I think better safe than sorry.
No offense taken.. But here is the thing.. It's not hype when ford has to MAKE a tool to help fix the problem.. I would bet it close to 40% of people who try to change their plugs themselves break them... And in the end.. You said the exact thing I have been saying.. Better safe than sorry..
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No offense taken.. But here is the thing.. It's not hype when ford has to MAKE a tool to help fix the problem.. I would bet it close to 40% of people who try to change their plugs themselves break them... And in the end.. You said the exact thing I have been saying.. Better safe than sorry..
After reading I didn't make myself clear. I'm sorry for sounding the way I did. I just meant it can be done regularly in a day. Breaks are an issue but not common. I apologize if I was rude.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Be careful about spraying a ton of penetrating oil in there and they letting it drain into the cylinders. A lot of penetrating oil in each cylinder may cause another problem.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

After reading I didn't make myself clear. I'm sorry for sounding the way I did. I just meant it can be done regularly in a day. Breaks are an issue but not common. I apologize if I was rude.
Don't worry, it's the Internet.. Anything can be taken in any way.. Lol and we are both just trying to help!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok
Be careful about spraying a ton of penetrating oil in there and they letting it drain into the cylinders. A lot of penetrating oil in each cylinder may cause another problem.
That's the whole point I was trying to make.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT