Relocation brackets - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Relocation brackets

I just installed j&m extreme lower control arms on a car lowered with h&r springs. My question is what's a good relocation bracket that will work with those aftermarket Lcas? Anybody using any? Big difference? To be honest I didn't notice a huge improvement with lcas either.
BCS06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You'll need an adjustable panhard to center the axle.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Re: Relocation brackets

I have the UMI Performance relocation brackets on my car. Fit is great with the HotPart LCA and they have held up well to many hard launches at the track.

I didn't have to do the panhard bar. The rear stayed pretty close to center with the FRPP springs and a 1" drop. The adjustable panhard seems to be inconsistent as a need - some cars will need it and others stay close to even
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, been lowered for a year and never worried about the panhard bar. It may be off but not enough to worry about.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I have the UMI Performance relocation brackets on my car. Fit is great with the HotPart LCA and they have held up well to many hard launches at the track.

I didn't have to do the panhard bar. The rear stayed pretty close to center with the FRPP springs and a 1" drop. The adjustable panhard seems to be inconsistent as a need - some cars will need it and others stay close to even
Are yours bolt in or weld?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's all relative to the geometry of the rear end. Not off much doesn't sound very accurate. The relocation brackets correct the pinion angle. Just because it still works doesn't it's right.

But if you're a it's close enough, who cares kinda person then I guess you don't need it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS06GT View Post
Yep, been lowered for a year and never worried about the panhard bar. It may be off but not enough to worry about.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Are yours bolt in or weld?
Bolt in. The UMI are well designed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
The relocation brackets correct the pinion angle.
The relocation brackets don't do anything for pinion angle.

Pinion angle can be adjusted with adjustable UCA or adjustable LCA. All the relocation brackets do is move the LCA itself either up or down in relation to the ground.

Quote:
It's all relative to the geometry of the rear end. Not off much doesn't sound very accurate. The relocation brackets correct the pinion angle. Just because it still works doesn't it's right.

But if you're a it's close enough, who cares kinda person then I guess you don't need it.
And I'm definitely not a "who cares" type person. But when all you have is a 1/4" difference from side to side, which on many Mustangs is what it comes from the factory, the cost isn't justified to get the panhard bar to relocate the axle. Not enough to notice the difference. If your car pushes the axle 1/2"+ out to one side, then get the adjustable panhard bar. But to say "you MUST have an adjustable panhard bar" is not accurate. Many cars will be centered afterwards.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok

+1 close nuf for the girls I go with.haha
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The lca relocation brackets are not meant to re establish or correct the pinion angle. They are meant to increase the angle at which the lca mounts to the axle . Why is this important? This is meant to reduce vertical hop of the entire axle on hard launches. By lowering the mounting point, the lca has more leverage to keep the axle from moving. When you lower your car , you are actually making the lca angle worse, or more flat > horizontal. The relocation bracket will correct for this reduction, as well as give you a few additional degrees to increase the angle more than is was before lowering.

Since these brackets are so inexpensive and easy to install, it's a really effective upgrade.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
The lca relocation brackets are not meant to re establish or correct the pinion angle. They are meant to increase the angle at which the lca mounts to the axle . Why is this important? This is meant to reduce vertical hop of the entire axle on hard launches. By lowering the mounting point, the lca has more leverage to keep the axle from moving. When you lower your car , you are actually making the lca angle worse, or more flat > horizontal. The relocation bracket will correct for this reduction, as well as give you a few additional degrees to increase the angle more than is was before lowering.

Since these brackets are so inexpensive and easy to install, it's a really effective upgrade.
I couldn't have said it better.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, First of all, sorry for the Post by Alcohol. It's my only excuse.

UCA adjusts pinion angle - Agreed.

Panhard Bar centers axle - Agreed.

LCA relocation brackets improve the geometry of the LCA's and improve their performance.

But I think the point I was trying to make was that if you install relocation brackets with standard LCA (non-adjustable length) you can affect the pinion angle because the axle has to rotate a little to accommodate the fixed length of the LCA, therefore it would be better to use adjustable LCA's. But it may not be enough angle change to matter, depending on the location used on the relo bracket.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="JimC"]

UMI seems to have quite the selection. I'll have to get myself a set. What are your views on a non-adjustable uca? I'm thinking combined with the brackets, hotpart lca, and a non adjust uca, I'll be able to hook considerably well.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Did not mean to quote myself either...
Old 05-20-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Upgraded LCA land UCA even without adjustability will help. It stiffens up the rear suspension over the soft stock bushings, and the soft LCA which will flex.

I went with the adjustable UCA because it was a single point of adjustment if my pinion angle was off after putting the FRPP springs on the car. Turned out to be dead on so I didn't have to change it from the stock length.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

Quote:
You'll need an adjustable panhard to center the axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS06GT View Post
Yep, been lowered for a year and never worried about the panhard bar. It may be off but not enough to worry about.?
Solid axle cars are usually never centered when lowered. The design itself forces the shift.

Now, as you said, may not be enough to worry about but when I slam 2nd after my axle was off, I would twist to the side pretty hard costing me E.t.

After I centered it, it chirps at best and I gained some time back. Worth the upgrade considering many of the best PHB are 100 bucks.

You are also right in that aside from what I described and uneven tire wear, there isn't a huge loss with a slightly shifted axle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

The relocation brackets don't do anything for pinion angle.

Pinion angle can be adjusted with adjustable UCA or adjustable LCA. All the relocation brackets do is move the LCA itself either up or down in relation to the ground.

And I'm definitely not a "who cares" type person. But when all you have is a 1/4" difference from side to side, which on many Mustangs is what it comes from the factory, the cost isn't justified to get the panhard bar to relocate the axle. Not enough to notice the difference. If your car pushes the axle 1/2"+ out to one side, then get the adjustable panhard bar. But to say "you MUST have an adjustable panhard bar" is not accurate. Many cars will be centered afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Upgraded LCA land UCA even without adjustability will help. It stiffens up the rear suspension over the soft stock bushings, and the soft LCA which will flex.
Exactly.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT