Exhaust Leak.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Exhaust Leak..

I need help! This weekend I put on shorty headers and deleted cat pipes. Well, now I have an exhaust leak on one of the headers and my check engine light just came on. I have no idea when I will have the funds to fix this. Will this exhaust leak damage my engine?? I'm seriously considering going to ford and having them put everything back to specs, but that will cost me money that I don't have
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Okay, step 1, calm down.

Step 2. If you don't have a tune for your engine, the cat delete will cause a code. It's normal and won't hurt your car. Take your time looking for the leak. And don't go dumping money to return to stock because you're having an issue. If we all did that, none of us would have any mods.
RedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Go get it welded, problem solved for 60 bucks.
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edens5
Go get it welded, problem solved for 60 bucks.
I'm assuming his leak is where the header meets the head. I don't think welding is going to work lol
BCS06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Exhaust Leak..

Did you torque the bolts in a pattern and in steps? Are they are torqued to spec with a torque wrench? Maybe the gasket is bad or cheap. It should not be too hard to figure out.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Always use copper coat when applying new gaskets... and you should have ran the car for 30 min after header install then retightened the bolts... just go back an tighten everything back up
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok
Did you torque the bolts in a pattern and in steps? Are they are torqued to spec with a torque wrench? Maybe the gasket is bad or cheap. It should not be too hard to figure out.
Most headers have bolts you have to use a wrench on. If he's never turned many wrenchs, he won't know what 30/40 ft pounds feels like. The sequence for mine was top then bott, back to front. He needs to loosen them up and retorx , but above all.......... Don't get excited!!!!!!!!!!
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Yeah i didnt read into it lol. I saw exhaust leak and as a welder, my mind jus goes to weld it lol
Edens5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Exhaust Leak..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Most headers have bolts you have to use a wrench on. If he's never turned many wrenchs, he won't know what 30/40 ft pounds feels like. The sequence for mine was top then bott, back to front. He needs to loosen them up and retorx , but above all.......... Don't get excited!!!!!!!!!!
You're correct Sir, I wouldn't know what 30/40 ft pounds feels like. All this is new to me. My neighbor has a lift in his garage and is always working on muscle cars, I'll ask him to help me out on it.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCS06GT View Post
I'm assuming his leak is where the header meets the head. I don't think welding is going to work lol
Yes, that is where the leak is. It's annoying, all I hear is that leak over how loud the car is. It might need a double gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGT View Post
Okay, step 1, calm down.

Step 2. If you don't have a tune for your engine, the cat delete will cause a code. It's normal and won't hurt your car. Take your time looking for the leak. And don't go dumping money to return to stock because you're having an issue. If we all did that, none of us would have any mods.
Step 1..Done freaking out...somewhat...

Step 2. I do have an SCT Tuner...I cleared the codes (they were for the O2's) then I turned off the rear O2 (since that is the only option that the tuner had). Hopefully it stays off.

Step 3. Figures...after all done...I look at my inspection...It's been expired for 2 months!!

Step 4. I hate living at home..Parents not happy with sound...and apparently, nither is my neighbor (who I'm told complained about my car BEFORE I did anything to the exhaust!).

Thanks for the help and support guys, I'm more relaxed after reading your replies. And I won't freak out and have Ford put it back to normal

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
Ummm....I torqued top first, no pattern. Used a torque wrench for the top, but did it by hand on the bottom bolts. Could barely fit my small hand and arm in the bottom, so torque wrench wasn't an option!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76

You're correct Sir, I wouldn't know what 30/40 ft pounds feels like. All this is new to me. My neighbor has a lift in his garage and is always working on muscle cars, I'll ask him to help me out on it.
It's best to use a lift. Use a short handle wrench and put all u can on it. Hopefully someone didn't crossthread any bolts. With some of them being hard to reach it can happen real easy. If you end up having to replace the gasket, use antiseze on the bolts. Good luck bud the best advice I can give you is patience .

---------- Post added at 07:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

It's best to use a lift. Use a short handle wrench and put all u can on it. Hopefully someone didn't crossthread any bolts. With some of them being hard to reach it can happen real easy. If you end up having to replace the gasket, use antiseze on the bolts. Good luck bud the best advice I can give you is patience .
Just saw your last post, tighten the bolts one pipe at a time. Meaning top then bottom, back to front . I know its a pita but that's the way It's gota be done. Don't use 2 gaskets or you'll be doing it again, one good one will do the job. As silversky said, you can also use some copper spray if you removing the gasket.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust