2006 mustang Gt exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
2006 mustang Gt exhaust

Have a stock h pipe and no resonators with 40 series flowmasters.... Doesn't sound good at all... So I ordered a flowmaster catted x pipe ... Will this make it sound meaner? Or should I replace axle back? I don't want to wake the neighborhood .. But I want it to sound aggressive... When I'm driving ... Next thing I'm also gonna get is a JLT CAI with tune... Need ideas on what to do to get this exhaust to sound sweet...
Damnyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
X will make it sound worse but with it being catted don't expect much of a difference

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you think the x pipe will make it sound worse ? Should I Chang the axle backs on it to get a better sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnyer
Why do you think the x pipe will make it sound worse ? Should I Chang the axle backs on it to get a better sound?
I have a Catless Xpipe and it's hella raspy

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

h=sound
X=performance

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Wonder if a certain set of axle backs will help
Me get a nice sound
Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have Pypes OR (cat less) X-pipe and an aggressive magnaflow(don't know the model) and I absolutely felt a difference in performance and I think it sounds incredible. I'm not sure what it would sound like with an H-pipe or if my X pipe was catted, but I personally like mine. A.LOT!
WillysYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have long tubes bassani off road x borla S type stingers.... to me it sounds like an angry 350z ... on my fourth set of mufflers... I just picked up off road h pipe an after I sell my bassani x I'm going to cut an clamp in some high flow cats for two reasons A. to pass insoection B. To try an gain Back some low end tq ... x pipes on these 3 valves sound horrible IMO... if I were u I would just pick up the pypes mid muffler set up... from the sound of it you will b satisfied w the sound of that set up... an two I'd cut the cats off ur h an clamp high flow cats...
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I have long tubes bassani off road x borla S type stingers.... to me it sounds like an angry 350z ... on my fourth set of mufflers... I just picked up off road h pipe an after I sell my bassani x I'm going to cut an clamp in some high flow cats for two reasons A. to pass insoection B. To try an gain Back some low end tq ... x pipes on these 3 valves sound horrible IMO... if I were u I would just pick up the pypes mid muffler set up... from the sound of it you will b satisfied w the sound of that set up... an two I'd cut the cats off ur h an clamp high flow cats...
Sky, I am going to have to put cats back on to do emissions as well, have you tried it? I don't want to end up welding (or clamping) them on for them not to work. Thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #9

Region: Tennessee
I actually run 2 flow sound exhausts with my cats removed and o h pipe and I am extremely pleased with my sound. I have a sound like no other 3V GT here in TN cus they all go with your MAC, Flowmaster, Borla, etc. They all sound alike to me. X pipes generally sound better to me on 2V mustangs. I really don't care for the raspy sound on a 3V but to each is on. With your cats still be on your car tho you really want get that beastly sound that you may be looking for but you will still have an aggressive sound none the less. One of my club members is running an X pipe with SLP loud mouths in her 2V mustang and with cats on it still sounds like a fighter jet. She removed 2 of them and she is seriously being heard from a mile away. Alot of exhausts have their on unique style, it's up to you to choose which one fits your needs.
Eleanor901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know yet guess we will find out
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I don't know yet guess we will find out
When do you need to get your done? I don't think mild us until December. plenty of time to figure out.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

By the end of the month
Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Have a stock h pipe and no resonators with 40 series flowmasters.... Doesn't sound good at all... So I ordered a flowmaster catted x pipe ... Will this make it sound meaner? Or should I replace axle back? I don't want to wake the neighborhood .. But I want it to sound aggressive... When I'm driving ... Next thing I'm also gonna get is a JLT CAI with tune... Need ideas on what to do to get this exhaust to sound sweet...
I wouldn't go with the x if sound is your main issue, change out the axle backs.. I recommend JBAs, I love the sound of them..
Charles.young10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ugh... Just looking for a throaty sound .. That sounds aggressive
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Ugh... Just looking for a throaty sound .. That sounds aggressive
JBAs or pypes pype bombs are what you want then..
Charles.young10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
I'm running long tubes headers with a catted x pipe and stingers and it sound great. Deep race car sound and not too loud and raspy.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Too much to read so I apologize if anyone already said this. The catted pipe will alleviate the terrible sound you have but it is actually the flow masters that are doing it. Are they the rectangle ones off American muscle? I have the same ones as they did the same thing. If you want it Loud get race mufflers or glass packs. I took my flows off and put glass packs on and it sounds pretty good. I will eventually go with a set of bullet race mufflers when I get the time. The cats are going to cut ur volume level down. I would say sell those flows to someone with catalytic converters and do a different set up.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Different set up as in... New axle backs ? I'll have the high flow magnaflow catted xpipe... No resonators... So u think with that setup I should do a different axle back ? Or should I keep the hpipe and a different axle back for a better sound
Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I've got the o/rx now ,love the sound. But I think the h pipe sounded even better.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So it sounds like putting on the magnaflow catted xpipe is not gonna be the best choice..seems as if keeping the hpipe and different axle backs might be the way to go?
Old 05-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine
Re: 2006 mustang Gt exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnyer View Post
So it sounds like putting on the magnaflow catted xpipe is not gonna be the best choice..seems as if keeping the hpipe and different axle backs might be the way to go?
I went with Borla for the same basic reason you wanted - aggressive but not so loud you'd piss off the neighbors at 6am. Price is a little more than the competition, but sound and performance IMO can't be beat. I heard them on another car and was immediately convinced to buy them. Hit the throttle, they bark. Cruising around town, nice low-keyed rumble. No in-car resonance on the highway either, just a nice rumble. Sometimes I'll shut off the stereo to listen to the music.

BTW - Rest of the exhaust I kept stock.

Stainless Steel Rear Section | 11752 | Ford Mustang 4.6L 8cyl - BORLA® - The World's Most Winning Exhaust

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: 2006 mustang Gt exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
I have a Catless Xpipe and it's hella raspy

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

h=sound
X=performance
I have a Catless H-Pipe, shorty headers and flowmaster's...it's not the low throaty sound I wanted. Instead, it's more raspy So, I feel your pain.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have read that the bullet style mufflers welded in just after the xpipe on the over axle pipes will give you a throaty rumble. Like the pypes mid muffler system. I am going to be getting a bullet muffler myself. It didn't sound half bad with glass packs but I want louder.
frank07stanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #24

Region: Other
If u want agressive sound
Borla aggressive Atak axelback sounds sick
I got them now and order hot rod cam
I guess that the sound will be So sick
Never more is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
2006 mustang, exhaust