rear gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #1

Region: Nebraska
I have a 2005 GT. BBK throttle body and a CAI with an automatic transmission I'm thinking 3:73 cuz i do still have to drive it down the interstate. My question is do i want/need a posi?
bigwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: rear gears

If you have a GT then you already have T-Lok (Posi)... Try doing a burnout, if both wheels spin then you have it. If not then you have an open diff, the opens come on the 6ers but the GTs have T-Lok.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

thanks, That's what I thought also but when I asked the mechanic about putting in the gears he asked if I wanted a posi put in also? Maybe I should talk to a more Ford oriented mechanic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly
thanks, That's what I thought also but when I asked the mechanic about putting in the gears he asked if I wanted a posi put in also? Maybe I should talk to a more Ford oriented mechanic.
He may have been refering to the clutches in the t lock.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
I have a 2005 GT. BBK throttle body and a CAI with an automatic transmission I'm thinking 3:73 cuz i do still have to drive it down the interstate. My question is do i want/need a posi?
Go 4.10. I have 4.10's I just drive 400 miles on the interstate. Averaged 23.3 mpg with an average speed of 60 mph. I would have gone with 4.30's If I had known. The 4.10's made a HUGE difference tho. Had the ford dealer install them for $400

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

Thanks, that's some food for thought. Did you buy the speedometer speed converter or use a tuner to fix the speedometer?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i used a tuner. i drove it home before it was tuned but my GPS unit has a spedometer in it. it was off quite a bit. i think when the spedo said 60 i was at like 40ish.

if you want any videos at highway speeds i can post some. ive had them on for about 600 miles so far and they rock. i gained time for sure.

check out my thred for Before and after 0-60 videos ( Gained almost 0.2 seconds. )

0-60 Before and after 4.10's (VIDEO)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #8

Thanks. I appreciate the knowledge. I have a lot of plans for my 05 but it all takes time and money so I want to do it right the first time so all knowledge is appreciated. I also have a 67 Fastback so I want to match the paint and rims someday.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwilly View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the knowledge. I have a lot of plans for my 05 but it all takes time and money so I want to do it right the first time so all knowledge is appreciated. I also have a 67 Fastback so I want to match the paint and rims someday.
i would LOVE to have a clasic mustang. Ive done a lot of Simple bolt ons and mods to my 05 and its been great. im close to a 4.5 second 0-60 at least thats my goad. the 4.10's made more of a diffrence than anything ive done so far.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #10

I have had my old one for 15 years now. I have always called it my 30 year project so I still have 15 more to go. It comes down to time and money. When you have the time you don't have the money and when you have the money you don't have the time.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992

i would LOVE to have a clasic mustang. Ive done a lot of Simple bolt ons and mods to my 05 and its been great. im close to a 4.5 second 0-60 at least thats my goad. the 4.10's made more of a diffrence than anything ive done so far.
You have a classic now.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
You have a classic now.
never thought of it like that.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM   #13

I just posted my album. I'm using my little laptop so not many photos on it. The 67 has been with me through a lot with me but I have managed to hold on to it thru out. I want to match the 05 and the 67 someday
Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just posted my album. I'm using my little laptop so not many photos on it. The 67 has been with me through a lot with me but I have managed to hold on to it thru out. I want to match the 05 and the 67 someday
They would look good together. You going to paint the 67 white or the new one red ? I think the 67's look good white

Old 06-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #15

I'm not sure what I'm fully going to do yet. It will be a long process for me so lots of time to change my mind back and forth.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
If you have a GT then you already have T-Lok (Posi)... Try doing a burnout, if both wheels spin then you have it. If not then you have an open diff, the opens come on the 6ers but the GTs have T-Lok.
A safer way of checking is by jacking the rear of the car up put it on jack stands put the car in neutral and ebrake off and spin one tire forward with your hand. If both tires spin in the same direction means you have a LSD or a locker.

Also should have a sticker on the back of the housing saying what ratio is in there. If you live in a rainy area stick with a LSD. My cars all over the road with a locker in the wet, takes some major skill to try to keep it straight at 60mph with heavy downpour and puddles.
Enorym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #17

the tag says 3.55. That's the reason for wanting to lower (standard for automatic) And to be honest that's the reason I didn't know if i wanted the T loc. I'm not out racing stop lights or taking it to the track. I simply want to play a little every now and then. Thanks for info.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the tag says 3.55. That's the reason for wanting to lower (standard for automatic) And to be honest that's the reason I didn't know if i wanted the T loc. I'm not out racing stop lights or taking it to the track. I simply want to play a little every now and then. Thanks for info.
My car screams at 70mph granted its a 4.0l with a 3.73 and a 5 speed manual. But yeah 2700rpm at 70mph isn't exactly fuel saving. Also consider a tuner so you can adjust your speedo to the proper gear size.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #19

I bought a Diablo tuner at a swap meet for 40$. Yes that sounds very cheap, that's the reason I haven't used it yet. But if it does work ok I think I can change the speedo with that.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bought a Diablo tuner at a swap meet for 40$. Yes that sounds very cheap, that's the reason I haven't used it yet. But if it does work ok I think I can change the speedo with that.
Wow that's a good deal.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #21

I got the one for my engine. He had another that was for the super charged motor for same price. Had I been thinking I should have bought both and either sold the 2nd one or kept it for if I ever went that direction someday. That is my future plans but once again time and money and i will be paying to have it put on so that ups the price too
Old 06-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I just sold my secondary Diablo on eBay for $40 I had two because one came with my supercharger.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #23

then maybe I shouldn't be worried because it was so cheap. I just don't want to accidentally trash the factory program then have to tow it 40 miles to the Ford garage. LOL
This is the first newer car I have had to tune and play with.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enorym View Post
A safer way of checking is by jacking the rear of the car up put it on jack stands put the car in neutral and ebrake off and spin one tire forward with your hand. If both tires spin in the same direction means you have a LSD or a locker.

Also should have a sticker on the back of the housing saying what ratio is in there. If you live in a rainy area stick with a LSD. My cars all over the road with a locker in the wet, takes some major skill to try to keep it straight at 60mph with heavy downpour and puddles.
Says the guy who has a slo-mo video of him doing a burnout.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It should work, just pay to get it reprogramed . If you don't I think all you can do is read trouble codes, not postive.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #26

thanks for that info. from everything I have read it's kind of a fail safe deal. It either works or it don't. To be honest I bought it the middle of last summer and was driving the car a lot of miles on a daily basis. That's fine and fun but 93% was over 5$ a gallon. I liked being able to use the cheaper gas. Now that it's not my daily driver anymore I think I will try it out as soon as I get the gears changed. Thanks for the input

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT