Spark Plugs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Spark Plugs?

I have an 06 gt 5 spd what would the best spark be to put in it??
Sambizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Have you heard the potential of breaking the original plugs in the heads. They're 2 piece plugs. If you haven't, there is a TSB about it. Not to scare you but it needs to be considered when changing.
I put E3's in and like them. But this thread will grow to 3 or 4 pages of arguing between which is best and why so are no good and others are great.
Just use the penetrating oil to get them out and anti-seize when putting them back.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well yes I have I've done it twice in my last car before I smartened up and started using anti seize. Hah but Thanx for the opinion I'm I'm much need of some plugs, by the way would you happen to know of a good sight for good prices on intakes!?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambizzle
Well yes I have I've done it twice in my last car before I smartened up and started using anti seize. Hah but Thanx for the opinion I'm I'm much need of some plugs, by the way would you happen to know of a good sight for good prices on intakes!?!?
Complete intake or CAI? I'm assuming CAI. American Muscle has a good selection. You'll get the most out of one that requires a tune and therefore you'll need a tuner. But a tuner is well worth the $ and you'll need a tuner over and over again as you continue to mod.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Re: Spark Plugs?

I changed to the 'new' one piece Champion plug#7989 that Ford is buying to replace that poorly designed two piece factory plug. The oem 2 piece plug has a high rate of breaking when taking them out.
I'm sure that not all cars will have issues. Thats why Ford has made it a TSB and not a recall but the problem seems to get worse with more mileage and carbon build-up on the outer electrode. I read on one forum that a guy tried to pull his plugs with only 17,000 on it and broke a few. I've read that you should do something to mitigate any possible trouble by the 25,000 mile mark. Low mileage cars may not have too many issues but what I hear happens is alot of carbon builds up around the lower outer electrode and cylinder head and when you try to remove the crimped two piece design plug out you twist off the top piece since the lower half stays in the head. This is just a heads up for people that may want to investigate the issue
Old 06-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Running 91 or better octane will greatly reduce carbon build up in the heads.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So what's the easiest way to get the two piece plugs out then!!???
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I ran a can of seaform through the last tank of gas before the plug change.
Take your time if it has been a while. Crack them slightly, use some penetrating fluid, wait, crack some more, tighten a bit and crack some more. They will come out if you have patience. The problem is the carbon buildup on the plug which makes the bottom portion of the plug too big to come out. Use anti-seize or at least a little oil when you install the new plug. There is an extraction tool available from Ford to remove a broken plug. I did this when the engine was still warm.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I think kid ment aniseze. I didn't spell it rite either.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambizzle View Post
So what's the easiest way to get the two piece plugs out then!!???
You have to do it on a cold engine. Spray some good penetrator, but not an excessive amount since it will drain into the combustion chamber. Then loosen it a quarter turn, retight a little, then loosen small amounts at a time. This worked for me, I got out all eight with no breaks. Take your time. If you break one there is a tool you can use to extrate it. It's about $80, but the dealer will charge around $200 from what I have heard. There are detailed instructions online if you google.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
You have to do it on a cold engine. Spray some good penetrator, but not an excessive amount since it will drain into the combustion chamber. Then loosen it a quarter turn, retight a little, then loosen small amounts at a time. This worked for me, I got out all eight with no breaks. Take your time. If you break one there is a tool you can use to extrate it. It's about $80, but the dealer will charge around $200 from what I have heard. There are detailed instructions online if you google.
Although Ford says a cold engine experience tells me they come out easier when the engine is warm
Old 06-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I belive the extraction tool is called a Lesle tool. Not positive, but it should be in the stickies.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
I belive the extraction tool is called a Lesle tool. Not positive, but it should be in the stickies.
You are correct sir
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIDAGIN View Post
Although Ford says a cold engine experience tells me they come out easier when the engine is warm
They say definately not warm, but some people have said warm is better. Not sure if they are thinking steel heads and not aluminum. I'm not arguing which is correct, all I know is I did mine stone cold and they all came out fine.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well Thanx for all the info you guys I'll let you all know something as soon as I change them out and let you all know how it went!!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Hey sambizzle, check this YouTube video I found on changing the plugs.

maldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT