F****** echaust leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
F****** echaust leak

Been hunting down an exhaust leak for a few days now. Found out the H part of my offroad h pipe was not inserted all the way and the C clamp had crushed the bigger pipe. Had to saw apart the bigger pipe and force the smaller pipe in. That fixed it SO I THOUGHT. I somehow cross threaded a bolt that holds the pipe onto the manifold .. Now it's even worse and right under the dash lol. Can this bolt and screw be replaced or am I screwed? I don't have a local exhaust shop that's worth a damn so I'm on my own
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Re: F****** echaust leak

There isn't anyone that can just weld it?
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok
There isn't anyone that can just weld it?
Not that I can find. Nobody will touch it because it's an offroad pipe and the ONE exhaust shop we have in town is horrible I've had a couple really bad experiences with them.

Would it be a good idea to weld it onto the manifold ? Than it's permanent right?
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Re: F****** echaust leak

Anything welded can be cut and re-welded, but is it the stock manifold? Either way it becomes a weld only to the manifolds. I think nearly all of the muffler/exhaust MFG recommend welding anyway to ensure against leaks.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Re: F****** echaust leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
Anything welded can be cut and re-welded, but is it the stock manifold? Either way it becomes a weld only to the manifolds. I think nearly all of the muffler/exhaust MFG recommend welding anyway to ensure against leaks.
its the stock manifold. I was just scared with the pipe being cut and clamped like it is at the H im not sure how long it will hold up. i guess i could have the H welded too. the closest good exhaust shop is almost 2 hours away from my house. we have TONS of car places in town but NOBODY does exhaust work. makes me want to move to the city!

at this point if it would stop the leak id probable to anything lol.

i just didint want to ruin the manifold just because i had a crappy pipe.
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
You can't weld the pipe to the manifold, it won't last a week. Get some aero kroil penatrating oil from Kano labratory . Spray the bolt good and wait 15min . Use a set of vise grips to remove the bolt. You may have to order the oil.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Weld the manifold and It's junk. I can line you up a 100 welders and I bet you can't find 2 that can weld cast iron. It's a very complicated process, and you won't find anyone with the skill to do it working at a muffler shop.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
You can't weld the pipe to the manifold, it won't last a week. Get some aero kroil penatrating oil from Kano labratory . Spray the bolt good and wait 15min . Use a set of vise grips to remove the bolt. You may have to order the oil.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Weld the manifold and It's junk. I can line you up a 100 welders and I bet you can't find 2 that can weld cast iron. It's a very complicated process, and you won't find anyone with the skill to do it working at a muffler shop.
Wow that's good to know. Guess I'll try and remove the bolt. Thanks for the information!
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Fixed it! Replaced the bolt. It was not an easy job.
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992
Fixed it! Replaced the bolt. It was not an easy job.
But you did it the rite way,be proud.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

But you did it the rite way,be proud.
Lol I'm very proud of myself considering I'm NOT a mechanic at all.
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
The biggest part of being a mechanic is having the confidence to try. Each time you try is one more day of experience you'll have. Just remember, if you don't have time to do it rite, where are you gonna find time to do it over.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
The biggest part of being a mechanic is having the confidence to try. Each time you try is one more day of experience you'll have. Just remember, if you don't have time to do it rite, where are you gonna find time to do it over.
Yea I build computers and networks so I'm pretty technical and I'm deffenatly not afraid to start taking stuff apart but I understand the importance of doing it right the first time and always double and triple check it before you call it done. I learned that the hard way lol
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
garbill2003's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992

Yea I build computers and networks so I'm pretty technical and I'm deffenatly not afraid to start taking stuff apart but I understand the importance of doing it right the first time and always double and triple check it before you call it done. I learned that the hard way lol
Good job and well done
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Indiana
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992

Yea I build computers and networks so I'm pretty technical and I'm deffenatly not afraid to start taking stuff apart but I understand the importance of doing it right the first time and always double and triple check it before you call it done. I learned that the hard way lol
That's where you can help me. I can't even turn a computer on. If it weren't for my phone I'd be lost.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jgill1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rolla
Region: Missouri
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

That's where you can help me. I can't even turn a computer on. If it weren't for my phone I'd be lost.
Haha I can do anything with computers it's what I've been doing full time for years. I hate most of the work. Pay is awesome tho
__________________

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:49 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.