Performance mods on a DD - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #1

Performance mods on a DD

Hey everyone! I have a 2008 GT with K&N Typhoon CAI, and Flowmasters. Other than that, performance wise, it's stock. I want to do basic and easy mods to help prevent me from being burned by these Chevy and Dodge dillholes who think they are bad because they bought a car stock that's faster than me. I need ideas, but keep in mind I'm not lookin to build a 1000hp (lol) car - the obvious tuner is the first thing on my list, what do you all suggest next?
spikeshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Re: Performance mods on a DD

thro away that K&N p.o.s. , get a JLT or C&L cia and a good Bama tune from AM, with tunes for life, rear gears and a good DOT drag radial. learn to launch from a dig. best place to start.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2
thro away that K&N p.o.s. , get a JLT or C&L cia and a good Bama tune from AM, with tunes for life, rear gears and a good DOT drag radial. learn to launch from a dig. best place to start.
So you think there is enough power difference between those intakes? I doubt it
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Longtubes and an off road x pipe. It's harder to install vs CAI lol, but it's worth it. Plus you'll be able to update your tune, after you've gotten the tuner.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
So you think there is enough power difference between those intakes? I doubt it

Most definitely, the K&N is a stock size MAF. If he is going to tune the car, it will be even better. JLT showed 10 to 12 rwhp gains on stock equipped cars. If for only the improved drive-ability it was worth it on my car. The Ford Bullitt CAI with 85mm MAF added 15 hp to the car.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2

Most definitely, the K&N is a stock size MAF. If he is going to tune the car, it will be even better. JLT showed 10 to 12 rwhp gains on stock equipped cars. If for only the improved drive-ability it was worth it on my car. The Ford Bullitt CAI with 85mm MAF added 15 hp to the car.
So what gains does the k&n give? I don't think it'll be that far off
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

K&N's only advantage is the performance of the filter itself. Their own dyno test show a max hp gain of 10 hp at the top end. there is no HP gain in the lower rpm range. You are also limiting any advantage you gain with a tune. The stock throttle body has 2, 55mm inlets,total 110mm, why limited your MAF to the stock size of 70mm. With a 85 or 95 mm MAF you could see 30 HP from about 2000 rpm up.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
Think about it this way though... When you dyno a car with different CAIs on you are in a standing spot with the hood open and a lot of the time a fan is blowing to the engine... I highly doubt you will have those conditions on the road, I really have to agree with Lowflyn in this case.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Think about it this way though... When you dyno a car with different CAIs on you are in a standing spot with the hood open and a lot of the time a fan is blowing to the engine... I highly doubt you will have those conditions on the road, I really have to agree with Lowflyn in this case.
how would those conditions make any difference, you are still limited by the size of your MAF, and the fan in front is there to help with cooling not RAM air affect. Plus the conditions would be the same for both CAI's.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #10

Thank for the advice about the intake all! A lot to chew on there. For low end power (again, not a drag car) would you all suggest shortys or long tubes - actually exhaust system through and through what's the best setup? What type of hole to I get myself in by exploring new cams? Thnx again for the advice.
spikeshivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
To help off the launch, get 4.10 gears help a lot on acceleration but take away top end. For a programmer I would go with SCT with Bama tunes from American muscle. Great programmer & you get free tunes for life, can't go wrong with that!
Franco09GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco09GT
To help off the launch, get 4.10 gears help a lot on acceleration but take away top end. For a programmer I would go with SCT with Bama tunes from American muscle. Great programmer & you get free tunes for life, can't go wrong with that!
Funny you should said that cause I just burned a 08 mustang Gt with the same mods, just not 410s he got me off the line when we raced from a dig but he did the 3 honks and I spun bad so we went from a roll, he still did the 3 honks but this time traction wasn't an issue, I instantly put 3 car lengths on him and kept pulling away, gears don't take away from your top end, your car runs out of hp b4 gear

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT