Exhaust what should i do. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Exhaust what should i do.

Ok so I have an 05 gt stock headers and mid pipe. With flownaster 40 axle backs summit racing offroad h pipe I've got a horrible exhaust leak (can smell it in the car really bad do I have to keep the windows down. I've checked EVERY clamp. Every inch of pipe and finally took it to a shop and they told me the pipe was bent where it goes into the manifold and I needed a new h pipe. Should I just get long tube headers and a shorty h pipe or just replace the h pipe? I Want long tubes eventually but I DO NOT have the money to pay to get them installed right now.

If I got long tubes is it something I can do in my yard with basic tools? I'm not a mechanic but I work with all kinds of electronics and I'm very comfortable taking stuff apart but the local exhaust shop (wich is **** btw everyone that works there is an ******* and they over charge the **** out of people because they are the ONLY exhaust shop for 70 miles) they want $650 to do the install so I'm guessing it's pretty hard?

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
No buddy it's a breeze all u need is a basic socket set and something to block your car up with. And possibly a torch wrench. U can do it. I changed mine in less then a day. And that was a first time for me. Just take your time have patience and u will succeed. Plus you will learn something.
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyhill
No buddy it's a breeze all u need is a basic socket set and something to block your car up with. And possibly a torch wrench. U can do it. I changed mine in less then a day. And that was a first time for me. Just take your time have patience and u will succeed. Plus you will learn something.
Don't you have to lift the engine or something crazy?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992

Yes
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:

You can do it in your garage but it is a pain in the ***, yes you have to lift the vehicle and doing it on your back just makes it that much more difficult. I fortunately work in a shop and had access to a lift and air tools. It took us about 2 to 3 hours to install. If you don't want any leaks in your exhaust take it to a shop to install. It's gonna cost you but it will be worth it.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster Troy

You can do it in your garage but it is a pain in the ***, yes you have to lift the vehicle and doing it on your back just makes it that much more difficult. I fortunately work in a shop and had access to a lift and air tools. It took us about 2 to 3 hours to install. If you don't want any leaks in your exhaust take it to a shop to install. It's gonna cost you but it will be worth it.
I agree. If its something you really have no confidence that you can do, id get it done in a shop. But if you can do it, more power to ya.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm 100% confidant I can do it. It may take me all damn weekend tho lol.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No you don't have to lift or pull the engine. Just block it up as high as you can safely under proper blocking or jack stands. U don't need nothing fancy for a bolt on job like this just some determination and patience. And looks like you will save yourself $650. Just be sure to torch your header bolts properly.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No you don't have to lift or pull the engine. Just block it up as high as you can safely under proper blocking or jack stands. U don't need nothing fancy for a bolt on job like this just some determination and patience. And looks like you will save yourself $650. Just be sure to torch your header bolts properly.
Will ramps work or do I need to remove the wheels?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ya ramps will work. Didn't work for me but thats because I have a low chin spoiler..
Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Any performance difference between h pipe and x pipe?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviG2010
Any performance difference between h pipe and x pipe?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's a difference in proformance at all I just like the h pipe better. Less raspy more of a deeper sound. But I've heard some people with x pipe set ups that sound great.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm. May have to swap out my x pipe for a h pipe. I prefer the deeper sound. Over the more race Car-ish raspy sound
Old 06-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hmm. May have to swap out my x pipe for a h pipe. I prefer the deeper sound. Over the more race Car-ish raspy sound
I just love that deep old school muscle car sound.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah same here. I also own a 68 mustang. Mustangs run deep in my blood. Haha. Just need to find the perfect exhaust for my newer one. Running kooks LT headers, hi flow cats and x pipe, magnaflow cat back. Sounds badass. But may have to swap that x pipe out.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah same here. I also own a 68 mustang. Mustangs run deep in my blood. Haha. Just need to find the perfect exhaust for my newer one. Running kooks LT headers, hi flow cats and x pipe, magnaflow cat back. Sounds badass. But may have to swap that x pipe out.
My mustang right now is the worst sounding car I've ever been in. I'm embarrassed to turn it on around people lol it just sounds fluttery and buzzy I can't stand it. I just don't have the $$ to fix ift right now next chance I get I'm redoing the ENTIRE exhaust from the headers all the way to new mufflers

Old 06-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

My mustang right now is the worst sounding car I've ever been in. I'm embarrassed to turn it on around people lol it just sounds fluttery and buzzy I can't stand it. I just don't have the $$ to fix ift right now next chance I get I'm redoing the ENTIRE exhaust from the headers all the way to new mufflers
What's your setup?

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Good rule is with shorty headers go with an x pipe due to less scavenging and fairly stock cylinder pressure. Long tubes should get a maximum of 5 inch crossover tube or h pipe because with long tubes your scavenging cylinders on a related bank rather than from both pipes
Newline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I'll have my kooks long tubes this week but right now I'm running stock headers to 3 inch exhaust with o/r x pipe to 4 1/2 inch tips and it sounds amazing can't wait for my kooks to show up
OneSick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I currently have stick headers summit racing offroad h pipe. Stock mop pipe and flowmaster 40 axle backs but I've got a BAD exhaust leak some wear

Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'd like to see a 2-3hr install.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Quote:
No way In hell will headers go in without lifting the motor.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

He'll ya headers go on without lifting the motor. I installed my Slp long tube ceramic on my 06 without lifting the engine!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree with benny its not hard just take your time and be patient. With the money you save you can buy other things
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's a difference in proformance at all I just like the h pipe better. Less raspy more of a deeper sound. But I've heard some people with x pipe set ups that sound great.
X-pipes DO give you more HP.. H pipe of for sound..
Charles.young10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I dont know how you put headers on without lifting the motor.. I put ford racing shorty headers on my 07GT and it was a ****ing nightmare!!! I took the motor mounts off put jack stands under the motor and then lift it up with a jack... Basically took me about a full day... I have been working on cars all my life and struggled so if you have no mechanical experience i would not recommend it... Aftermarket parts don't always fit like they are supposed to, it takes patience
galindojr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

X-pipes perform better than an H; although it's really not a massive amount. Maybe a couple more hp simple because it has a beautiful flowpath. The biggest downside to an X is they have a lot more rasp than an H or prochamber. If you're running an X behind longtubes, it's just a gorgeous sound though.
BackPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yea if I can get them on myself I'll use that $650 I saved and put it away towards some good cams. I'll have to buy a new pipe anyway maybe I'll get an x pipe. I'm not SURE what longtubes I want tho. There's so many brands and they differ in price a lot..

Old 06-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 PM ----------

Mitchell time to remove and replace both exhaust manifolds is 4.8 hours. We did it in about 3 hours. Again, this was in my shop on a rack and I had 2 of my techs helping. I'd be glad to show you, just bring your car and your parts in, oh, don't forget your $550.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Mitchell time to remove and replace both exhaust manifolds is 4.8 hours. We did it in about 3 hours. Again, this was in my shop on a rack and I had 2 of my techs helping. I'd be glad to show you, just bring your car and your parts in, oh, don't forget your $550.
3 people x 3hrs = 9 man hrs......$550 is a very reasonable price, I wouldn't do it for that.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I'd love to get it done for $550 that sounds a lot better than. $650 - $700

Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Exhaust what should i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
I've got shorty headers and an H-pipe (no cats) and I get more of a raspy sound...I'm not particularly pleased with that sound. I'm going to put some Hi-Flow cats on and see if that gives me more of the deep throaty sound that I'm looking for. I dont' like that my muscle car sounds more like an Italian supercar!

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by galindojr24 View Post
I dont know how you put headers on without lifting the motor.. I put ford racing shorty headers on my 07GT and it was a ****ing nightmare!!! I took the motor mounts off put jack stands under the motor and then lift it up with a jack... Basically took me about a full day... I have been working on cars all my life and struggled so if you have no mechanical experience i would not recommend it... Aftermarket parts don't always fit like they are supposed to, it takes patience
I did the same thing! Only it took me a day and a half!! AND, after all was done....exhaust leak coming from pax side header on the bottom side! So I went across the street to my neighbor had him help me (he has a lift in his garage...sweet) took pax (passenger) side header off (in less than 1\2 hour!!) and he was able to take off the bolts by hand....gasket was falling apart from the leak!! I've been waiting for my gaskets for a week and nothing...every place has them on back order!! You would figure that a popular car that these things would be stocked everywhere. Weird.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

AGREED!!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbain76

I've got shorty headers and an H-pipe (no cats) and I get more of a raspy sound...I'm not particularly pleased with that sound. I'm going to put some Hi-Flow cats on and see if that gives me more of the deep throaty sound that I'm looking for. I dont' like that my muscle car sounds more like an Italian supercar!

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

I did the same thing! Only it took me a day and a half!! AND, after all was done....exhaust leak coming from pax side header on the bottom side! So I went across the street to my neighbor had him help me (he has a lift in his garage...sweet) took pax (passenger) side header off (in less than 1\2 hour!!) and he was able to take off the bolts by hand....gasket was falling apart from the leak!! I've been waiting for my gaskets for a week and nothing...every place has them on back order!! You would figure that a popular car that these things would be stocked everywhere. Weird.
That raspy sound is most likely because of not having cats. Putting some on should def reduce that.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Re: Exhaust what should i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTdevildriver View Post
That raspy sound is most likely because of not having cats. Putting some on should def reduce that.
Sweet, Thanks for the info!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yea these cars don't sound the best with just an h pipe and axle back. You can add resonators that helps sound a little. It sounds best with cats on but it's not loud. When I just had my flownaster 40 axle backs it sounded PERFECT. Just a quiet perfect

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust