Cobalt SS vs. Mustang GT w/ a Stage 2 Roush Kit? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Cobalt SS vs. Mustang GT w/ a Stage 2 Roush Kit?

the SS SC cobalt isnt a slow car for what you get, they run mid 14s stock which is faster than any pre 99 GT Mustang. just FYI no need to bash and put up false information.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

i cant believe you guys are still talking about this..........anyway, i got something better than talk, an actual video of me running a cobalt ss.

cobalt ss- stock. the guy went from a 5-speed v6 stang (that he drove to 14.8 w/ boltons) to this, so he knows how to drive a manual.
me- intake, exhaust, udp, and a tune.

the vid was done by michael and the first few seconds of it is how awesome his car hung with mine :yup:
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

now since the vid, the owner of this car did some **** to it and is now in the 13s i believe
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab

SLAP HANDS! :high5:

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #75
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

also the vid shows how a non tuned v6 stang holds up with a tuned v6er
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

:pickle:

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #77

Like SpectorV mentioned, our friend has a SS SC and I just bought a 08 GT. It's only a matter of time till we line up. I'll let you all know when it happens.
toofastcomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

let me drink about 4 NOS energy drinks and ill beat the ss *** on my huffy lol
Old 04-17-2008, 08:19 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_gang View Post
let me drink about 4 NOS energy drinks and ill beat the ss *** on my huffy lol
we are talking about the SS SC not just the SS, its a slow car. The SS SC is decently quick for the car~ dont overlook them.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #80
Registered Member
Regular

hmmmmm.... it's still a family car.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

study long, study wrong...

I know these dont have a mopar sticker but there are some BAD *** srt-4s out there... to think dodge put out the stage kits... stage 2 mid-low 12's... for 1500$!!!!!

GM tried to do the same thing but their stage kits only added like 30hp...

dont overlook the mod factor...
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

yeah....but still. they drop 1500 into modding them to high 12's, all i did was just add tires. heh...just makes more sense to me to start with power rather than something that i can beat on my bike while it's stock. But then again, I've always been about American Muscle so my thought process is automatically jacked up.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

yeah but i think your sticker was more then theirs!!!...

all im saying is... dont be fooled... ive gotten my *** handed to me by some **** i never thought... thank god most of the time i was driving a Shelby Z ...

Actually the best way to explain it is... before i bought the shelby i ran it in the 65... we went 3/8's mile and he had me by half a fender when i let off.. but before the race i looked his time up... 1987 dodge daytona stock 1/4mile... 15.2 or whatever it is... i run a 14.0 i have this **** beat... little did i know he was running 5psi more boost and had other small mods...
Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

It's always been...who gets to the finish line first. Not who spent the least amount of money....
I always want to blow the other guy into the weeds...I didn't care what it takes to do that.
They never take a poll or check the amount of money spent on the car at any race I know of.
RedRoushOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

all im saying IS price per HP they have us beat...
Old 04-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #86
Registered Member

Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Rocket 442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
i cant believe you guys are still talking about this..........anyway, i got something better than talk, an actual video of me running a cobalt ss.

cobalt ss- stock. the guy went from a 5-speed v6 stang (that he drove to 14.8 w/ boltons) to this, so he knows how to drive a manual.
me- intake, exhaust, udp, and a tune.

the vid was done by michael and the first few seconds of it is how awesome his car hung with mine :yup:
Is that Cobalt a SS/SC or just a 2.4 SS?

The SS/SC's are a bit faster than the 2.4L N/A versions. It looked like a N/A one, but it's hard to tell.
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads & ARP Bolt Kit | Mondello JM 22-25-10 Cam - 274/280 .512/.523 | Harland Sharp 1.6 Ratio Full Roller Rockers | Trickflow Chromemoly 3/8" Pushrods | Edelbrock Modified Performer Intake | Pypes 2.5" X-Pipe | Dougs Ceramic Headers
Rocket 442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Price per horsepower? Walk to the track, change into your running shoes, and you have beaten everyone.
There was a guy at Bunker Hill raceway (in Indiana) that had a VW bus that he modified and put a chevy 350 behind the driver and passenger seat, had a 10 bolt rear end (4:10 gears) and drag slicks on the back. Total investment = under $2000.00 It ran 8.3 (1/8th) all day long. He killed a few ZR1's at the track. There is your price per horse power...
RedRoushOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:44 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

and thats what im saying... youd never expect it out of a bus, neon, or cobalt...

there is always a faster car...
Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

okay guys....

I was my way home and found one (SS/SC)... or... it found me. I was cruising 80 and he caught me and pulled beside me. There wasn't anyone on the interstate and I don't condone illegal racing but I was curious....so from the roll at 80mph....we got on it. I kicked it into 3rd from there which might not have been the best idea, the response time is a bit lacking. He pulled slightly ahead for a split second then my power kicked in. From the roll, I win. Bad. But, I didn't expect him to hang with me for the short time that he did...So I do have a little respect built towards them.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumab View Post
okay guys....

I was my way home and found one (SS/SC)... or... it found me. I was cruising 80 and he caught me and pulled beside me. There wasn't anyone on the interstate and I don't condone illegal racing but I was curious....so from the roll at 80mph....we got on it. I kicked it into 3rd from there which might not have been the best idea, the response time is a bit lacking. He pulled slightly ahead for a split second then my power kicked in. From the roll, I win. Bad. But, I didn't expect him to hang with me for the short time that he did...So I do have a little respect built towards them.
alright, with all do respect, "roll racing" from 80 is probably the GHEYEST thing i have ever heard....

and secondly, a cobalt SS/SC will kill a mustang GT or otherwise in the twisties 9 times out of 10...This would be why they are classed in a "higher" stock class than mustangs in the auto-cross world...

I, however, am much more of a fan of racing in the twisties than I am of the whole "racing in a straight line and see who gets there first" drag racing thing...Drag racing is fun to a point, but IMHO, it gets really old after a while...The first 60 feet are really all that matter...

Now, if anyone was ever interested, SCCA has what are called "ProSolo" events which are essentially a combination of "drag" and auto-x racing....Basically you line up at the line and have a typical lit-tree, and youre R/T and such are counted into your overal time...you launch off the line as if you were at the drag strip, and then you enter a whole bunch of twisties as if it were a normal auto-x event...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #91
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

I wouldn't exactly say going from 80 is gay, and I definitely wound not say it is the "GHEYEST". Cruising that speed is when I have experienced the most road encounters.
Also, I enjoy the strip as well as autox which is why I have/continue to build my car to respond respectably to both and I'd be hesitant to diss straight line power and acceleration since we are talking about American Muscle here. This is kinda where we excel.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

...well i couldn't just stop and do an actual drag...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

braumab, do you know anything about the dealer Hallum Motors in Marion?
fear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

lol. yeah, i bought my car from there. I know the dealers personally. what's up? got your eyes on that mustang on their lot? it's nice.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedDevil View Post
I wouldn't exactly say going from 80 is gay, and I definitely wound not say it is the "GHEYEST". Cruising that speed is when I have experienced the most road encounters.
Also, I enjoy the strip as well as autox which is why I have/continue to build my car to respond respectably to both and I'd be hesitant to diss straight line power and acceleration since we are talking about American Muscle here. This is kinda where we excel.
Roll racing at 80 is an S197 is ghey because you are in a very bad spot in the car's power band...as brauma said, he had to shift to third to get the most power, but at the speed, the 3 shift is so short, its nearly pointless, but if you keep it in 4th, the car will be guaranteed to bog down...hence the reason it was a ghey race, whether he won or not...

And as far as building a car to be "respectable" in both, you are, in all honesty, wasting your time (and money) IMHO...you will just have an alright car with lots of money in it, but it will still get beaten handily by most cars that are built specifically for one or the other...

Oh, and i had to break it to you my friend, "american muscle" as it were no longer really excels in anything...generally speaking, the american moto is to increase power, you must increase displacement...which is why we are still riding around in the same basic power-plants that we have been for years...

Other manufacturers are making just as much if not more power/torque out of much smaller power plants, and there are plenty of "non-american muscle" cars that can wipe the floor with us...whether it being straight line drag or curved-road racing...

While I must say my S197 is probably one of the more fun cars to drive that i have ever been in, it's definitely no where near the top as far as handling, power, reliability, etc...But that is what i enjoy about it so much...Because the car is such a big and handles so poorly, It actually requires skill to be good at driving it...which is what makes it a blast to drive...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol. yeah, i bought my car from there. I know the dealers personally. what's up? got your eyes on that mustang on their lot? it's nice.
Actually I am looking at the Escalade. I spoke with Kent, but it isn't looking good because of the payoff on my Avalanche.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:51 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

ah, the escalade. I think I sent you an e-mail about that.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #98
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
Roll racing at 80 is an S197 is ghey because you are in a very bad spot in the car's power band...as brauma said, he had to shift to third to get the most power, but at the speed, the 3 shift is so short, its nearly pointless, but if you keep it in 4th, the car will be guaranteed to bog down...hence the reason it was a ghey race, whether he won or not...

And as far as building a car to be "respectable" in both, you are, in all honesty, wasting your time (and money) IMHO...you will just have an alright car with lots of money in it, but it will still get beaten handily by most cars that are built specifically for one or the other...

Oh, and i had to break it to you my friend, "american muscle" as it were no longer really excels in anything...generally speaking, the american moto is to increase power, you must increase displacement...which is why we are still riding around in the same basic power-plants that we have been for years...

Other manufacturers are making just as much if not more power/torque out of much smaller power plants, and there are plenty of "non-american muscle" cars that can wipe the floor with us...whether it being straight line drag or curved-road racing...

While I must say my S197 is probably one of the more fun cars to drive that i have ever been in, it's definitely no where near the top as far as handling, power, reliability, etc...But that is what i enjoy about it so much...Because the car is such a big and handles so poorly, It actually requires skill to be good at driving it...which is what makes it a blast to drive...
I believe I chose my words very carefully when I said it is "respectable". I know I will not be the grand champion of either but I am not looking to beat records, merely the large majority of people I encounter, which I do.

Yes, you are corect, American Muscle no longer exists. God knows the Shelby GT500 is not an icon with the 5.4 and could never win a drag race. The ZR1 is not amazing with a 6.2 and would suck on a course. Oh, and that Challenger SRT8 will be nothing with the 6.1. You're right, I will pay twice as much for foreign cars that don't do twice as much. :swordfigh
Old 04-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

:threesome we're all friends here. :]

Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

IMHO..... if i wanted to race the twistys i would buy a Lotus Elise. But i like strait line performance thats why i own 4 mustangs. now dont get me wrong i wouldnt mind a double duty car but i stick with is most avilable in my area. oh and for the american autos being behind in power i got one word for you......terminator and for the road course i have 3 words for you 00 cobra r.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ah, the escalade. I think I sent you an e-mail about that.
I got to work this morning to read an email stating that our email isn't working real well here on the base. Could you PM me?

Thanks,

Larry
Old 04-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to 1996stang Send a message via Yahoo to 1996stang

Quote:
IMHO..... if i wanted to race the twistys i would buy a Lotus Elise. But i like strait line performance thats why i own 4 mustangs. now dont get me wrong i wouldnt mind a double duty car but i stick with is most avilable in my area. oh and for the american autos being behind in power i got one word for you......terminator and for the road course i have 3 words for you 00 cobra r.
Mustangs do fine in the twisty's trust me i live within 1 hr of 421 mountain and the dragon.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

+1 even though i live in indiana im from the mountians of west virginia... and there isnt much more fun then to beat *** up some mountian roads (with v-8 torque )
Old 04-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

i know this sounds wrong but i like to keep my driving the twistys to the road. back woods country roads are what i grew up around. my wifes 98 has full eibach sys with a sturt tower brace ect ect, and with it being a v6 its light and the only corner i have to drop below 100 is the one that says 40, and she will take that one at 85. lol i need to make a video of it, "filmed entirely in mexico of course" lol
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
i know this sounds wrong but i like to keep my driving the twistys to the road. back woods country roads are what i grew up around. my wifes 98 has full eibach sys with a sturt tower brace ect ect, and with it being a v6 its light and the only corner i have to drop below 100 is the one that says 40, and she will take that one at 85. lol i need to make a video of it, "filmed entirely in mexico of course" lol
...dude. you're wife is a boss.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT