Cobalt SS vs. Mustang GT w/ a Stage 2 Roush Kit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab
Cobalt SS vs. Mustang GT w/ a Stage 2 Roush Kit?

I was leaving a town last week coming home from business... Some Cobalt SS pulled besides and tried to launch, kept wanting to race... I didn't for 2 reasons... There was a wind advisory warning (the wind was blowing about 70mph and it was raining) so I didn't run it... But a part of me wanted to eat it up and crap it out. What do you guys think? Unless there's something I don't know, they barely pass 200 HP with a Supercharger...
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Cobalt SS vs. Mustang GT w/ a Stage 2 Roush Kit?

I burried one from a 20 roll in 3rd gear. Yeah, you should walk him pretty well.

Hell, Kyle only has a N/A 04 V6...and I believe he was either close or beat one.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

first of all a stage 2 roush has little (if any) performance mods if i'm not mistaken, its just a body kit and suspension. stage 3 is when they do the s/c and some have the engine conversion.........whatever that is.

second of all, if your driving is equaled to or better than a retarded 3rd grader you should not have a problem beating him.......you could probably launch in 2nd, then shift to 5th and still beat him hell, i held a stock one off till ~80 and i have a v6 auto, granted i can pace stock/very lightly modded 99-04 auto gt's, but still i run .5-.7 slower in the 1/4 than a well driven stock 5-speed gt

*edit* rob beat me to it.........also the driving skills equaled to a retarded 3rd grader might have been a dramatization. you might need to drive a little better than that.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

^^^ Yeah, I thought it was close with y'all...couldn't remember.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i ****in yanked his *** out the hole by about 1-2 cars every time......held that till i hit the ole trusty 3rd gear and that massive top end kicked in. those ratios are in different area codes
Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

There...now that we gave you a nice positive answer...what is the address of the house we can stay at in little rock for the power tour.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

the SS supercharged versions run mid 14s and with mods would be faster than you but the regular SS ones are slow
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

that'd have to be some serious mods? I run 13's anyway...? I don't know to much about cars but??? And Kyle is right, it's just suspension and stuff in the stage 2, I just like saying that I have it. :] I do have a few mods, nothing to serious ... yet. I'm debating on a Super Charger or Turbo Charger at the moment...

- Lol, I forgot about the Power Tour, when is it again?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
first of all a stage 2 roush has little (if any) performance mods if i'm not mistaken, its just a body kit and suspension. stage 3 is when they do the s/c and some have the engine conversion.........whatever that is.
that is correct. its the GT version of a stage 1, slightly modified kit though, but really no performance mods other than like, an upgraded air filter (good for 432890532+ hp though)

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumab View Post
they barely pass 200 HP with a Supercharger...
they are actually under rated, they dyno around 200 stock (they are supposed to have 205 at the engine) so they push out much more than that at the engine.

I wouldnt take them so lightly. My friend has one (SS SC) and I ride in it now and again. It feels about as quick as a 99-04 gt to me~
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
they are actually under rated, they dyno around 200 stock (they are supposed to have 205 at the engine) so they push out much more than that at the engine.

I wouldnt take them so lightly. My friend has one (SS SC) and I ride in it now and again. It feels about as quick as a 99-04 gt to me~
The key word there is "Feels". A Stock 03/04 Cobra "Feels" slow and underpowered....until you look down and see you're doing over 100 mph.

Kyle would have walked all over the one he raced if 3rd gear wasn't like shifting into overdrive. Had he had a gear between 3rd and 4th....or manual...his 6er would have embarrassed that cobalt even worse and he is only putting down in the 180s and runs 15 flats and I'm sure is heavier.

Oh ****, I just realized, I just ruined any chances of you making money off street racing kyle...I posted your damn numbers. DAMMIT....I am a ho.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

lol, you guys are crazy. I just have a hard time believing a Cobalt can take me. Even the buffed up ones. Maybe it's my pride, maybe it's muscle in my car. I don't know...but I have a really hard time believing a Cobalt could take me... Especially on a wide open interstate...

- By the way, I passed a car on the street the other day close to my house... This prick bought a mustang, the SAME year, the SAME color, and the SAME mods except for exhaust. Mine sounds much better... I think I'm going to either murder this guy or repaint his car for him.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

Quote:
lol, you guys are crazy. I just have a hard time believing a Cobalt can take me. Even the buffed up ones. Maybe it's my pride, maybe it's muscle in my car. I don't know...but I have a really hard time believing a Cobalt could take me... Especially on a wide open interstate...

- By the way, I passed a car on the street the other day close to my house... This prick bought a mustang, the SAME year, the SAME color, and the SAME mods except for exhaust. Mine sounds much better... I think I'm going to either murder this guy or repaint his car for him.

repaint it then murder him a week later. t
Old 02-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

ha. Great idea.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

many run 14.0-14.5s stock on average (the higher part on average of around mid 14s) and they respond good to mods as it takes a pulley swap to raise them up a good bit (seems most dont go past 275rwhp/tq). They suck due to being FWD... so I didnt mean fear them or anything just dont brush them off as stock 99-04 gts run mid to low 14s (high 13s with a good driver but most are 14.2 range) so just dont take them so lightly.

if you want to read up on them more you can look at cobaltss.net~ I wouldnt really know anything about them had it not been for my friend buying one.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

i'm looking at the site now...it looks like a friggin family car... are you kidding me? The more I look at them, the more I think they're a joke.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

i'm sorry, i shouldn't put it down ... I guess it offends me that this particular person tried to engage running with me ... My time is valuable, I can't waste it on a Cobalt ...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

street racing is bad mmmkay?

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

lol
Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
street racing is bad mmmkay?
Yes it is...but sometimes...you just have to make that dotted line solid....so no one can cross it and pass you.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
The key word there is "Feels". A Stock 03/04 Cobra "Feels" slow and underpowered....until you look down and see you're doing over 100 mph.

Kyle would have walked all over the one he raced if 3rd gear wasn't like shifting into overdrive. Had he had a gear between 3rd and 4th....or manual...his 6er would have embarrassed that cobalt even worse and he is only putting down in the 180s and runs 15 flats and I'm sure is heavier.

Oh ****, I just realized, I just ruined any chances of you making money off street racing kyle...I posted your damn numbers. DAMMIT....I am a ho.
you underrated my numbers.......a while back when cody was pickin on me for warming my car up before he dynoed it he said it put down something in the mid 190s. so youre not a ho.............youre helping me out

damn i just realized........i ruined my own chances..........i'm a ho
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
if you want to read up on them more you can look at cobaltss.net~ I wouldnt really know anything about them had it not been for my friend buying one.
yeah go on there and tell them a v6 mustang paced one down the track to the 1000 ft mark or ran with one till 80 on the street and watch what they say.....you'll get a ****load of "bs" "v6 mustangs are slow" blah blah blah. pretty much any auto forum outside of a mustang forum will say that. which is one of the reasons i want to do a buildup on my car, just do a tt 4.3 stroker v6 and be done with it.........
Old 02-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #23
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
you underrated my numbers.......a while back when cody was pickin on me for warming my car up before he dynoed it he said it put down something in the mid 190s. so youre not a ho.............youre helping me out

damn i just realized........i ruined my own chances..........i'm a ho
I have all your dyno runs from his shop....don't fall for the "It put down xxx but I lost the run file" line....

Remember, I am the true definition of ho...I have all your numbers up for sale yo.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have all your dyno runs from his shop....don't fall for the "It put down xxx but I lost the run file" line....

Remember, I am the true definition of ho...I have all your numbers up for sale yo.

really?............whats my best one? i never saw the sheet. i just went by what he told me.

for real though, let me know what my best run was......b/c i really dont know
Old 02-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
really?............whats my best one? i never saw the sheet. i just went by what he told me.

for real though, let me know what my best run was......b/c i really dont know
SAE: 181.xx
STD: 185.xx or 186.xx

I'll send you the files and the exported images once I reboot into the other version of windows where winpep is installed.

My having the dyno sheets is what makes me the ho according to inbred coonasses.

I've heard the "It did over 500 but I lost the run file in some other folder" line when I first did my swap. I have every file from his shop up until about 3 weeks ago....yeah....no where.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

Nice. I like Kyle's car...I remember the day in the park in AL on the Joe Wheeler road trip with Candice and I with Kyle's car trying to catch Lowflyn and Tiff, lol.

I'll race you when I'm down next time Kyle. And yeah, I think you could take him.

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

fine............but this time from a dig
Old 02-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

You're on. lol

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #29
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
fine............but this time from a dig
You want to lose that badly? At least from a roll you have a little help being in your power band....
Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Had one try to launch on me a while ago ( i believe there is a post here somewhere bout it). I had a feeling he was gunna try to mess so I just pulled out slow and kept it in 2nd. Heard him pound it, so I followed suit. He stayed at my door and slowly faded back. Once I hit third, I was gone. Loved hearing the SC whine on it though. Sounded pretty cool. But yea, no prob for me and I have an 04 gt, very lightly modded. So you WILL NOT have any prob with him, as long as you can drive decently.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

stock for stock it would be a drivers race. FWD sucks but from a roll thats not part of the equation, and on average, a FWD vehicle has less driveline loss than RWD.

if it had mods done, it probably wouldve pulled you. i think one with a pulley swap and tune and all that stuff is probably equivalent to a Stage1 SRT4 and my 02 GT didnt stand a chance versus my buddies S1 SRT4, even from a dig (hes got the best driver mod ive ever seen, this guy took his stock LS Integra and ran better times than bolt-on GSR's back in the day!), and i knew how to drive the hell out of that GT.

EDIT:

i just noticed this was 05+ Section. to add to my above post, ive raced many a 05 GT stock for stock versus my 02 GT and the outcome usually in my favor, and if not we always ended up null at the top of 4th, so my above post still stands.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

I was thinking it was 99-04GT vs SS SC cobalt.. if its an 05 gt those are at least a little more respectable. They shouldnt have much trouble unless the cobalt is moded and its from a roll (quite modded as they would need a second shaved off their time). The Cobalts respond good to mods but they are not nearly as good as neon srt4 mod for mod.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You want to lose that badly? At least from a roll you have a little help being in your power band....
i think it will be relatively even from a dig...........at least i was the last time i raced an auto 2000 gt. stayed at his back tire out the hole and crept up even till i hit 3rd, then lost he put about 3 cars on me from around 80 to 120-125

but then again, there is only one way to find out :burnout::yup:
Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

lol, yeah. It was from a roll ... I was pacing at 60 when he came up on me and launched ... I'm pretty sure I couldn't thrown down to 2nd and by time 3rd came along, he would've wondered why he didn't just save his money... I justy have absolutely no respect for those cars. So are you guys telling me that I can't beat one from a stand still? That hurts me ...
Old 02-14-2008, 03:23 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
lol, yeah. It was from a roll ... I was pacing at 60 when he came up on me and launched ... I'm pretty sure I couldn't thrown down to 2nd and by time 3rd came along, he would've wondered why he didn't just save his money... I justy have absolutely no respect for those cars. So are you guys telling me that I can't beat one from a stand still? That hurts me ...
your thought process makes no sense. you do not respect those cars? why not? just cause you have a V8 and they are a 4cyl? i give respect when respect is due. theres alot of little 4cyl's that come factory boosted that with the right mods would make even most of us cobra guys on here look pretty bad.

i would hope you could beat one from a stand still, they are FWD, you are not. however from a roll it would be a bit closer, and if he was modded and you are stock, its quite possible he would have a kill in hand.

a 300hp 3800lb lead sled isnt exactly the epitome of performance........

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT