Rear End Clunk? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Rear End Clunk?

My car has all of a sudden developed a clunk when I am starting out. As I am letting out the clutch and start moving you hear and feel a big clunk. It doesn't happen everytime, but is happening more and more often. It feels like the rear end is actually shifting. What can this be?
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomo2
My car has all of a sudden developed a clunk when I am starting out. As I am letting out the clutch and start moving you hear and feel a big clunk. It doesn't happen everytime, but is happening more and more often. It feels like the rear end is actually shifting. What can this be?
Can you have someone do it while you look under the car from the side?

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yes but I have to find someone who drives a stick. My wife refuses to learn lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It could be a lot of things. Could be any moving part from the transmission to the axles, even ye control arms. I would get under the car and see if any of your bushings are worn, then with the car in neutral I would try to move the drive shaft back and forth. Then do the same with each wheel. You should be able to find it that way.
RedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Does it happen after you have gone backward, like backing out of the driveway? If this is pretty much the only way to repeat the clunk, it might something as simple as slop has developed in a U joint and needs to be replaced.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGT
It could be a lot of things. Could be any moving part from the transmission to the axles, even ye control arms. I would get under the car and see if any of your bushings are worn, then with the car in neutral I would try to move the drive shaft back and forth. Then do the same with each wheel. You should be able to find it that way.
When you say try to move the tires back and forth while in neutral, won't they always move in neutral? This may doing like a dumb question, I just want to make sure what I an looking for.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #7

Region: Mississippi
No that's not dumb question haha. Just make sure e brake is down. Your driveshaft might be out of.balance. super easy fix if that's the case
sabrina1265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrina1265
No that's not dumb question haha. Just make sure e brake is down. Your driveshaft might be out of.balance. super easy fix if that's the case
how do you fix an out of balance drive shaft?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #9

First thing to try is Jack it up and turn drive shaft about 180° if that doesn't work you just have to keep turning it while letting engine run. You can hit a hump and it will twist your drive shaft by just a bit and it will give you ton of problems
Old 06-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

how do you fix an out of balance drive shaft?
I don't think an out of balance drive shaft would clunk. It would be a vibration you would notice and feel while driving at higher speeds.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #11

My boyfriends f150 had same thing happen and that is what it was - but.normally no that's not how.it.would sound
Old 06-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
Does it happen after you have gone backward, like backing out of the driveway? If this is pretty much the only way to repeat the clunk, it might something as simple as slop has developed in a U joint and needs to be replaced.
+1 I would check the rear u joint
5-Speed-IUP, Predator tuned, k&n cai,Mrt shifter,Hooker Lts-o/f x-pipe, KC clutch,Alum flywheel,FR 4:10's. Upr rear control arms. Forged Teksid Eaton swap in progress!

WickedStangs Mustang Club
Tulsa,OK Chapter President
TtownMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Sounds like a u joint... Are you hard on the car? Like aggressive burnouts around turns or bumpy road you can mess up your pinion or main gear in the differential, along with bearings.. But more common issue is the u joint.. Jack the rear of the car and use " jack stands"!! Engage the parking brake to lock the rear tires and put car in gear if it's stick.. Now try to spin you driveshaft by hand, watching your u joints... If the " clunk" noise is duplicated and you can see the slop, replace u joint.. Be careful sometimes they do t like to come apart, atleast here in Ohio
Illdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have a so so friend lay down under the car drive forward to see if he can find it... if not just reverse over him to see if you can use his body to knock everything back into place...if u have no friends it's OK to use cops or lawyers or insurance sales people.... I personally would use a Jesus freak... I would inform them Mary's face was formed underneath the car from road dirt and oil...
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
Have a so so friend lay down under the car drive forward to see if he can find it... if not just reverse over him to see if you can use his body to knock everything back into place...if u have no friends it's OK to use cops or lawyers or insurance sales people.... I personally would use a Jesus freak... I would inform them Mary's face was formed underneath the car from road dirt and oil...
Not have a good day today, huh?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hey, Jesus freaks like cars too I think I'd stay away from your car though..
Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ha no I'm having a good day... just thought posting that would make someone's Monday better lol
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Rear End Clunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illdrag View Post
Sounds like a u joint... Are you hard on the car? Like aggressive burnouts around turns or bumpy road you can mess up your pinion or main gear in the differential, along with bearings.. But more common issue is the u joint.. Jack the rear of the car and use " jack stands"!! Engage the parking brake to lock the rear tires and put car in gear if it's stick.. Now try to spin you driveshaft by hand, watching your u joints... If the " clunk" noise is duplicated and you can see the slop, replace u joint.. Be careful sometimes they do t like to come apart, atleast here in Ohio
I drive over some crazy bumpy roads, I have driven the car hard some. This did get worse after my only standing burnout I have ever done. How would you know if you tore up the pinion or main gear or bearings? This poor car has been through a lot in the last month or so.

I will jack the car up later this week, I am driving crazy miles this week. =(
Old 06-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I drive over some crazy bumpy roads, I have driven the car hard some. This did get worse after my only standing burnout I have ever done. How would you know if you tore up the pinion or main gear or bearings? This poor car has been through a lot in the last month or so.

I will jack the car up later this week, I am driving crazy miles this week. =(
Check it ASAP, even if you have to take it to a shop, normally it's like 50 or so dollars for them to tell you the problem, if good be something cheap that will turn into something expensive real quick

Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol

Check it ASAP, even if you have to take it to a shop, normally it's like 50 or so dollars for them to tell you the problem, if good be something cheap that will turn into something expensive real quick
Oh, really? I haven't had a rear wheel drive car in so long, I didn't know. What would be cheap they turns more expensive? I know I am asking a lot of questions, I just honestly don't know the answer and I don't have any help right now.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If you u joint breaks and your driveshaft falls you will get alot of damage you don't want lol get it figured out and fixed
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003
If you u joint breaks and your driveshaft falls you will get alot of damage you don't want lol get it figured out and fixed
Well that makes sense!! Sorry to sound stupid on this stuff.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Well that makes sense!! Sorry to sound stupid on this stuff.
No question is stupid its better to know than not know at all because you didn't ask and we are here to help
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Report back after you figure out what it is too, cause that is very helpful to all
Old 06-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedSomeMods
Hey, Jesus freaks like cars too I think I'd stay away from your car though..
+1
RedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Re: Rear End Clunk?

I had this issue in my 1998 gt back when I was 17 really being a dork and showing off. sounds like you may have sheered a spider gear or two in your rear end. I had been reving my motor and slamming the car into drive to do burnouts when this happened. you think I would have destroyed the tranny doing this but no ..rear end. I had to get a replacement at the junk yard and beg my girlfriends father "mechanic" to help me put it on.
bryanbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanbrock
I had this issue in my 1998 gt back when I was 17 really being a dork and showing off. sounds like you may have sheered a spider gear or two in your rear end. I had been reving my motor and slamming the car into drive to do burnouts when this happened. you think I would have destroyed the tranny doing this but no ..rear end. I had to get a replacement at the junk yard and beg my girlfriends father "mechanic" to help me put it on.
Why? Duh fuq

Old 07-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got the car in the air. My shifter is broken, my u-joints are tight, but there is some play in the rear end. i dont know how much play is too much, but i do need help figuring this out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120707_135355.png
Views:	755
Size:	842.3 KB
ID:	57933  
Old 07-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Damn how did that happen

Old 07-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #30
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Finally got the car in the air. My shifter is broken, my u-joints are tight, but there is some play in the rear end. i dont know how much play is too much, but i do need help figuring this out.
Up to you taking a peek and snapping this pic, could you still put it in gear and drive it? If so, I bet that broken piece was clunking against the underside.

It's hard to say because there is some acceptable play. If the rear is not whining or grinding while your driving, your probably okay. Is your limited slip working, does both tires spin when you burn out?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Up to you taking a peek and snapping this pic, could you still put it in gear and drive it? If so, I bet that broken piece was clunking against the underside.

It's hard to say because there is some acceptable play. If the rear is not whining or grinding while your driving, your probably okay. Is your limited slip working, does both tires spin when you burn out?
I don't know about the limited slip. i know both tires did spin the last time i did a burnout , but i just bought new tires so i don't really want to try that.
As far as the shifter, i guess i am in the market for a new one. i would love suggestions, i currently have the shelby short shifter. The only problem i can find with changing brands is that i don't have the metal bracket that holds the shifter to the car because the shelby one doesnt use it.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol
Damn how did that happen
By what we figure it happened when i hydroplaned across a highway while spinning at ~30 mph and slammed into the center rail with my rear end.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't know about the limited slip. i know both tires did spin the last time i did a burnout , but i just bought new tires so i don't really want to try that.
As far as the shifter, i guess i am in the market for a new one. i would love suggestions, i currently have the shelby short shifter. The only problem i can find with changing brands is that i don't have the metal bracket that holds the shifter to the car because the shelby one doesnt use it.

---------- Post added at 10:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

By what we figure it happened when i hydroplaned across a highway while spinning at ~30 mph and slammed into the center rail with my rear end.
Now we get the whole story.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Now we get the whole story.
Haha +1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT