any of u buy this stuff: - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
any of u buy this stuff:

I'm getting ready to replace a bunch of stuff on the car... for a tune up... just seeing what your opinion is on:
Coil plugs
Frpp spark plugs
New.polyethylene bushings every where
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Motocraft or axcell or msd that's your call but I don't replace cops unless they are bad motocraft plugs bushings why ?
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: any of u buy this stuff:

stay ford OEM for coil packs and plugs, dont go aftermarket as many have issues. As far as plugs make sure they are not the ones that are known to break in half.

Many 05+ GT's have had plugs break in half on removal, its just how they are so be CAREFUL. Even if you let Ford do it, and they know about this.... they will still charge you 100-200 PER plug that breaks regardless if its a design flaw on their part or not

Bushings, Poly is fine but Delrin is better in many ways, you get a worse ride though so its a trade off. Go to maximum motorsports and review their product offerings and info. AmericanMucle has discounts for forum members so you can buy their stuff from AM.com's site and save as well.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have poly engine mounts, upper and lower Rear ctrl arms and shifter. Gave me a 25% increase of fuel mileage with my 91 tune. Huge power to the ground difference, and no wheel hop. Go for it.

Keep in mind that the ride will be stiffer with poly though. But it's worth it. Just grease them properly during the install.
RedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGT
I have poly engine mounts, upper and lower Rear ctrl arms and shifter. Gave me a 25% increase of fuel mileage with my 91 tune. Huge power to the ground difference, and no wheel hop. Go for it.

Keep in mind that the ride will be stiffer with poly though. But it's worth it. Just grease them properly during the install.
Bushings gave you 25% better mpg?
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Bushings gave you 25% better mpg?
Ford uses cheap rubber bushings. Try this for fun. Open the hood of your car, rev the engine to 4500 rpm or higher and watch how much the engine moves. Each time you accelerate the engine compresses the mount before putting power to the ground. Same happens with the ctrl arms. By using poly bushings there is significantly less movement and the body of the car is moved much sooner because there is no give in the bushings. All that to say the car takes off faster everytime, wasting less power in the bushings. Add this to a tune and you can get a huge gain in mpg.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Ford uses cheap rubber bushings. Try this for fun. Open the hood of your car, rev the engine to 4500 rpm or higher and watch how much the engine moves. Each time you accelerate the engine compresses the mount before putting power to the ground. Same happens with the ctrl arms. By using poly bushings there is significantly less movement and the body of the car is moved much sooner because there is no give in the bushings. All that to say the car takes off faster everytime, wasting less power in the bushings. Add this to a tune and you can get a huge gain in mpg.
I could see the trade off being that your engine is absorbing more impact than with the stock bushings. Is that bad?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

What kind of mpg are you getting? 25% seems like a huge increase.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

I could see the trade off being that your engine is absorbing more impact than with the stock bushings. Is that bad?
The engine does take a bit more of a beating but I have 80K and no issues.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

The engine does take a bit more of a beating but I have 80K and no issues.
Cool!
Old 06-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

What kind of mpg are you getting? 25% seems like a huge increase.
I get 24.5 in the city and 29.7 hwy. The increase is partly due to the tune as well, but between the tune and bushings it's a huge difference. Keep in mind I'm also at 2000' above sea level too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT