S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ReggStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Has anybody had any run ins with these challys and wants to share a story lol because my boy just Beat one by atleast 1 length. I witness the whole race. Challenger was bone stock and my boys GT has a Ford racing CAI and tune lol I was pretty surprised
ReggStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
S197Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307
I was just thinking about this. My girlfriends dad has a challenger and he thinks its so fast.
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
At the track right? it was? Good just making sure because no street racing is allowed.

But those challengers are about 4200 lbs and push 375 hp. That s197 is 300 plus tune and CAI should put it about 330?

Either way good job!
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

CAI and tune on a 05-10 won't net you anywhere close to 330whp. You are probably looking at more like 300whp. The dodge cars are some heavy S.O.B.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
CAI and tune on a 05-10 won't net you anywhere close to 330whp. You are probably looking at more like 300whp. The dodge cars are some heavy S.O.B.
Yea I was talking about flywheel hp, that's why I said 300, stock engine hp, then talking about adding 30 more hp to the motor for a total of 330 flywheel hp. Is it more? 300 rwhp would be alot more than 330 engine hp. From what you're saying CAI and tune is adding 50 or so hp. Or am I reading you wrong?
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joel_L_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 280
I just beat a srt8 jeep 2nights ago and I've driven a charger r/t a ton and can say its definitly slower then a s197 gt with a Cai and tune
Joel_L_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Yea I was talking about flywheel hp, that's why I said 300, stock engine hp, then talking about adding 30 more hp to the motor for a total of 330 flywheel hp. Is it more? 300 rwhp would be alot more than 330 engine hp. From what you're saying CAI and tune is adding 50 or so hp. Or am I reading you wrong?
I am talking whp. The stock 05-10 pulls 260whp give or take. Add a CAI and tune and you will barely break 300whp most of the time.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_L_H View Post
I just beat a srt8 jeep 2nights ago and I've driven a charger r/t a ton and can say its definitly slower then a s197 gt with a Cai and tune
What are your mods in order to beat a srt8 jeep?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

I am talking whp. The stock 05-10 pulls 260whp give or take. Add a CAI and tune and you will barely break 300whp most of the time.
I know you are talking whp, I was talking hp at the motor. What I'm asking is if you're saying that tune and CAI will add 50 hp in the motor? Because I was only adding 30 at the motor. We are saying the same thing pretty much. I'm simply trying to figure out what a tune and CAI actually does add
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Joel_L_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM

What are your mods in order to beat a srt8 jeep?
I only have a Cai and tune so I don't think he was going all out or something. He was trying to get me to mess around on the freeway though so we punched it and I was doin over 110 and i was ahead of him but he was still there

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0

I know you are talking whp, I was talking hp at the motor. What I'm asking is if you're saying that tune and CAI will add 50 hp in the motor? Because I was only adding 30 at the motor. We are saying the same thing pretty much. I'm simply trying to figure out what a tune and CAI actually does add
Cai tune should add up to 30 whp so they say
Joel_L_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_L_H

I only have a Cai and tune so I don't think he was going all out or something. He was trying to get me to mess around on the freeway though so we punched it and I was doin over 110 and i was ahead of him but he was still there

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------



Cai tune should add up to 30 whp so they say
Thanks!
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stockish302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: California
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_L_H

I only have a Cai and tune so I don't think he was going all out or something. He was trying to get me to mess around on the freeway though so we punched it and I was doin over 110 and i was ahead of him but he was still there

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------



Cai tune should add up to 30 whp so they say
About right autos around 25whp and sticks get around 30whp and they usually dyno around 260-270 stock
__________________
BBK cai, 96 tbird maf housing, BBK 70mm TB, TFS intake manifold, BBK shortys, bassani off road X pipe, Flowmasters with turndowns

If any one is willing to donate parts to the Make Joe's Mustang Faster that Corvettes Foundation, donations will be gladly appreciated
Stockish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang.racr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 915
I beat a challenger rt pretty bad. He was none stock and mine was stock or might of had a axle back. Not sure it was about 7 months ago
__________________
having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out!
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 681
The Challengers are just too heavy. They are sick cars tho, i love them. Just too much weight on them.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggStang View Post
Has anybody had any run ins with these challys and wants to share a story lol because my boy just Beat one by atleast 1 length. I witness the whole race. Challenger was bone stock and my boys GT has a Ford racing CAI and tune lol I was pretty surprised
I have videos on you tube where I pull them at the track with intake, 4.10s, tune. They are on par stock for stock it seems in the 1/4 but their open differential kills them. They might even be a little quicker in the 1/4 but with intake and tune, it should be interesting races every time out. Also, remember, one car length is easily overcome by slamming a shift faster or hitting the gas a split second sooner. Your friend can race one over and over and they can swap wins over and over.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
ReggStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

I have videos on you tube where I pull them at the track with intake, 4.10s, tune. They are on par stock for stock it seems in the 1/4 but their open differential kills them. They might even be a little quicker in the 1/4 but with intake and tune, it should be interesting races every time out. Also, remember, one car length is easily overcome by slamming a shift faster or hitting the gas a split second sooner. Your friend can race one over and over and they can swap wins over and over.
I feel you on that bro. Definitely love to see it also send me a link for the YouTube.
ReggStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
9tee7pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Radford
Region: Virginia
Posts: 673
At one point my dad had a Challenger SRT (stock) and a S197 (CAI, hot plugs and wires, and extensive exhaust work) and the challenger would win all day long. The challenger isn't the fastest, still quite fast though, but is by far the best cruiser. I rode in it for 6 hours down to Charlotte and i was still super comfortable.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggStang View Post
I feel you on that bro. Definitely love to see it also send me a link for the YouTube.
soyeltonka@gmail.com
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter
 
GrabberBlue5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 5,661
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tee7pony View Post
At one point my dad had a Challenger SRT (stock) and a S197 (CAI, hot plugs and wires, and extensive exhaust work) and the challenger would win all day long. The challenger isn't the fastest, still quite fast though, but is by far the best cruiser. I rode in it for 6 hours down to Charlotte and i was still super comfortable.
The SRT's are awesome, but they're talking R/T vs S197
__________________
New quick exhaust video

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ucfknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
CAI and tune on a 05-10 won't net you anywhere close to 330whp. You are probably looking at more like 300whp. The dodge cars are some heavy S.O.B.
Have to correct you. 2010 GTs make 315 at the engine. Mine is heavily modified and I will get it dyno'd soon. I haven't been beat by an R/T yet.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight View Post
Have to correct you. 2010 GTs make 315 at the engine. Mine is heavily modified and I will get it dyno'd soon. I haven't been beat by an R/T yet.
315 is the same as me saying I don't have 400.....I have 412. Heavily modified is a different story against a RT. We are talking CAI & tune,not heavily modified. A heavily modified new edge would spank a stock RT.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

What is 'heavily modified'?
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #23
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

^^ That's what I would like to know also.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,260
a lot of this thread has to do with driver also. bc if you cant drive how your supposed to to maximize the cars potential a 4.6l can get stomped by a gremlin lol. i would like to know what you have done to be heavily modified is also?
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lethal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
CAI and tune on a 05-10 won't net you anywhere close to 330whp. You are probably looking at more like 300whp. The dodge cars are some heavy S.O.B.
I have proof mine has 343whp with bbk tuned length headers, slp exhaust CAI and tune. But yes dodge has more power but also way to much weight. The 1/4 mike is just about the same.
Lethal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal View Post
I have proof mine has 343whp with bbk tuned length headers, slp exhaust CAI and tune. But yes dodge has more power but also way to much weight. The 1/4 mike is just about the same.
Ok? Put your cards on the table.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang.racr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 915
That is a lot of power for a bolt on 3 valve but every dyno is different.
__________________
having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out!
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #28
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

I've never seen a full exhaust,CAI and tune 3V pull anything close to 330whp on any dyno.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ucfknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126
a lot of this thread has to do with driver also. bc if you cant drive how your supposed to to maximize the cars potential a 4.6l can get stomped by a gremlin lol. i would like to know what you have done to be heavily modified is also?
My biggest mod to date is a roush super charger but that's only been on for a few weeks. I beat Chargers R/T even before that addition with just cai, tune and headers.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Silversky545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal

I have proof mine has 343whp with bbk tuned length headers, slp exhaust CAI and tune. But yes dodge has more power but also way to much weight. The 1/4 mike is just about the same.
If that is true... I have 400 hp...
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight

My biggest mod to date is a roush super charger but that's only been on for a few weeks. I beat Chargers R/T even before that addition with just cai, tune and headers.
bad *** man. did you get the 2300? or the m90?
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ucfknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 208
I like the style of challenger. They r nice. But they are heavy and when I test dove one it just reminded me of a Chrysler 300c. Big, powerful, but nothing compared to a well equipped Stang. It would take me getting spanked by a challenger every weekend at the track to want one and that isnt happening!I would take nearly any new edge to 2010 up Stang over a challenger everyday.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight

My biggest mod to date is a roush super charger but that's only been on for a few weeks. I beat Chargers R/T even before that addition with just cai, tune and headers.
My bad. I meant challenger. I know my cars, just had charger on my mind cause a buddy of mine just brought one.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #33
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Austin
Region: Texas
Posts: 5,980
Re: S197 GT vs. Challenger R/T

I like the Charger SRT8s but not a fan of the 2011/12 body style changes.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang.racr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM
I like the Charger SRT8s but not a fan of the 2011/12 body style changes.
This!!!! I hate the newwer I'd love to have the older srt8 only though
__________________
having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out!
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ucfknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126

bad *** man. did you get the 2300? or the m90?
I have the m90 bro.
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:25 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.