05 mustang gt gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
anthonyrc618's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 78
05 mustang gt gears

I have a 05 GT 5spd. I looked up what it came with through the vin it comes with 3.55s. I wanna do lower gears. I'm stuck between 3.73 or 4.10s. The 10s are great for performance but can be bad on the highway ext. the 73s are probably better but that much of a difference. Help !
anthonyrc618 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
GTRob504's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 158
I am not sure that the Vin would note the rear differential ratio. That code is found on a sticker on he driver side door or the differential housing itself.

The stock GT came with 331 gears , the 373s where an option.

I upgraded to 373 from 331 and only lost less than .3 mph
so don't like that scare ya much.
__________________
2008 Metallic Alloy GT Convertible Premium
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Caster Troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Hawaii
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc618
I have a 05 GT 5spd. I looked up what it came with through the vin it comes with 3.55s. I wanna do lower gears. I'm stuck between 3.73 or 4.10s. The 10s are great for performance but can be bad on the highway ext. the 73s are probably better but that much of a difference. Help !
Go with 4.10's, if your car came with 3.55's you won't notice as big a difference with 3.73 as you would with 4.10. My car also came with 3.55's and the 4:10's made a kick in the pants difference. As far as highway it's no problem unless you plan on cruising at 120 MPH, in fact you will love the way your car will snap in fourth gear between 45 and 65 mph, assuming you have a manual.
Caster Troy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
anthonyrc618's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
I am not sure that the Vin would note the rear differential ratio. That code is found on a sticker on he driver side door or the differential housing itself.

The stock GT came with 331 gears , the 373s where an option.

I upgraded to 373 from 331 and only lost less than .3 mph
so don't like that scare ya much.

Thanks for the info, yea I think 331s are on the automatic. I called the ford dealer and gave them the vin. They said 3.55 with limited slip is what came on my car. Yea some say gas mileage would be horrible but I read on here from a lot of people that done it said its not bad at all

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster Troy

Go with 4.10's, if your car came with 3.55's you won't notice as big a difference with 3.73 as you would with 4.10. My car also came with 3.55's and the 4:10's made a kick in the pants difference. As far as highway it's no problem unless you plan on cruising at 120 MPH, in fact you will love the way your car will snap in fourth gear between 45 and 65 mph, assuming you have a manual.
Thanks for the info. Yea that's what I thought ! I'm never gonna go that fast on the highway at least not for a long time. I'm gonna do the 4.10s for sure. I know they make 3.90s but it's not a brand I heard of
anthonyrc618 is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
410s I still get around 22-24 on the highway at 80
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
anthonyrc618's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Illinois
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol
410s I still get around 22-24 on the highway at 80
Yea I'm definitely doing the 4.10s thanks
anthonyrc618 is offline  
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc618

Yea I'm definitely doing the 4.10s thanks
Ya 373s are a waste of money unless you get em for free
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline  
Old 07-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: 05 mustang gt gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
410s I still get around 22-24 on the highway at 80
Yep.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline  
Old 07-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

Yep.
I sometimes think how 430s woulda been
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline  
Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: 05 mustang gt gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
I sometimes think how 430s woulda been
me too haha. I may tell you soon after my cam install. If torque drops enough, I'll swap haha.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline  
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



06:52 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.