Upholstery Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Upholstery Help

The leather trim on my door panel is separating from the foam material. Would contact cement do the trick without damaging the material or what else is recommended?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
bluefirstgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I know a few people who have had the problem. No matter what adhesive you use to tack it back up, the foam is the problem. It deteriorates, and will come loose again. The only permanent fix that I have seen is where the foam is scraped off and new and different vinyl is installed. ( not the same with the perforations in it). Before you fix it, and while it is falling off, take it to a shop for an estimate.
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Mine did same thing. What I did was strip all that foam crap off. Every little bit of it. Get some fiber glass resin, and 3m spray adhesive. Lather the fiber glass resin in generously. Let it dry full day then apply your leather with 3m adhesive spray and I also used a high adhesive glue. Worked perfect and hasn't had any slack.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3987190631.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	460.7 KB
ID:	59599   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-735908626.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	59601  

Lethal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh also San fiber glass resin when it completely dry. Very important part. This might not be best et to do this but it worked for me. Also takes patience.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal
Oh also San fiber glass resin when it completely dry. Very important part. This might not be best et to do this but it worked for me. Also takes patience.
Very impressive! So the resin is build up for the space occupied by the foam? It turned out great by the looks of the pictures. I'm a perfectionist and not confident I could pull that off. Great work!

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefirstgt

Very impressive! So the resin is build up for the space occupied by the foam? It turned out great by the looks of the pictures. I'm a perfectionist and not confident I could pull that off. Great work!
What kind of resin is that? When I think of resin, boats and surfboards come to mind.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
I know a few people who have had the problem. No matter what adhesive you use to tack it back up, the foam is the problem. It deteriorates, and will come loose again. The only permanent fix that I have seen is where the foam is scraped off and new and different vinyl is installed. ( not the same with the perforations in it). Before you fix it, and while it is falling off, take it to a shop for an estimate.
Makes sense... I'll obtain some quotes to see how much folks are charging for those panels. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #6

Region: Washington
Re: Upholstery Help

be careful to spray the glue evenly and clumps will show threw the material it is also best to lay it flat for atleast twenty four hours to let it dry
abell146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 AM ----------

What kind of resin is that? When I think of resin, boats and surfboards come to mind.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 AM ----------

Makes sense... I'll obtain some quotes to see how much folks are charging for those panels. Thanks!
The resin I bought was just in a tin canister, looked like an old fashion oil can. Auto parts, napa, and o'reileys sells it. I did both doors, center console and boot around shifter all for under $100
Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I called a reputable auto upholster in the area. $45 per door if foam is in condition to re-glue and $100 per door for total replacement.

As soon as I mentioned year model, he knew right away I was calling about the door panels.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I called a reputable auto upholster in the area. $45 per door if foam is in condition to re-glue and $100 per door for total replacement.

As soon as I mentioned year model, he knew right away I was calling about the door panels.
That sounds very reasonable. I have one spot on ds about the size of a quarter.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My drivers door has this issue I was hoping there was an easier way lol
The Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
They guy I know who had it repaired with new vinyl paid about 300. From what I saw, the vinyl matched the hard plastic in both texture and color. It looks liked it belonged. Maybe it's time for you to go two-tone on the door panel?
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
They guy I know who had it repaired with new vinyl paid about 300. From what I saw, the vinyl matched the hard plastic in both texture and color. It looks liked it belonged. Maybe it's time for you to go two-tone on the door panel?
I am considering having it redone. It appears to be an issue that, unless corrected properly, will be reoccurring. Since the panels will be completely replaced, why not be creative and add a personal touch. Now I have to research ideas. Two tone sounds like a great possibility.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Got busy, but finally was able to have the panels repaired. The upholsterer mentioned the panels could be fixed without replacing. Good as new for $80 both doors! Very happy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT