Get the most out of stock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Get the most out of stock

Ok so I purchased my 05 GT last weekend and she is just over 62000, the low mileage is nice but it's obviously a hard 62k. In my contract I got them to replace the clutch (happening wednesday) and address the check engine light (seems to be the common TB sensor problems and what not and I'm assuming when they send it to the ford dealer the TB will be replaced)

So I am trying to get her running as best as possible in stock form before i start the modding process Id like to get a starting dyno. I'm going to replace the battery with an optimum red top, run a fuel system cleaner trough, probably replace the belt, clean the filter or possibly throw a new one in it. I'm wondering if there are any stand out options for these steps and also if there is more I should check / do. It looks like the oil change was recently done by the dealer so I'll wait to 65k to do another.

Thank you for your responses in advance!
The Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
seems like some of
this stuff is something you should have checked b4 you purchased it. have you checked it for blow by? since u said it had a hard life b4

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

and i would change the oil again yourself as well as the transmission fluid
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126
seems like some of
this stuff is something you should have checked b4 you purchased it. have you checked it for blow by? since u said it had a hard life b4

---------- Post added at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

and i would change the oil again yourself as well as the transmission fluid
This... Plus rear end fluid under the circumstances... I'd also suggest a good synthetic fluids all around.. Like RP or Ams Oil
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not really worried about the car much I checked it pretty good and new what I was getting into and was able to get it with the dealership losing money lol I was dead set on an 05+ GT and this was the only reasonable option all I'm trying to do now is get here in top shape to start the building so it's all just tune up type stuff

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

I was also looking to go the fully synthetic route with all the fluids but I know some cars don't play well with certain products but it seems like the mustangs are fairly good with most
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

As far as blow by I'll be checking the plugs tomorrow need to search the firing order but i don't have a compression gauge maybe i should grab one at advanced tomorrow??
Old 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so iv been searching around the forums and web but i need to start moving now that it's noon lol I'm going to go grab the battery, see if they have a belt in stock, I think iv decided on a fully ams oil synthetic oil change and filter, I'm going to see If they will do the trans fluid while they replace the clutch. I'm going to hold off on the plugs as I'm seeing some conflicting info on change intervals, kind to go with, and that there are sometimes problems taking them out.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't get much done Sunday late start early finish. Can't find the optimum red for my car at autozone or advanced so I'll prob just order one. Couldnt find amsoil in either never used it before but it looks like I'll have to find a dealer in Virginia beach the website shows names of dealers but not the shop / store they are at. Here's what I did manage not that it's much lol

Should see some mpg improvement from the injector cleaner and replacing that horrid looking motor craft filter lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2245026570.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	60499   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1574418667.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	60500  

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Try Americanmuscle.com
Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford
Try Americanmuscle.com
Yeah I have a pretty big list started for that site lol was just trying to knock out stuff sooner then later
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your ac don't work?!
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash
Your ac don't work?!
Lol it works just fine and is ice cold, I had that left over from a friend and was going to check the low pressure valve just for Sn giggles but it didn't fit haha
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Re: Get the most out of stock

It looks like ur headed in the right direction. The first thing I did to my 06 GT when I bought it was CAI, SLP loudmouth and SCT tuner. The difference in the performance just with that was amazing. Well have fun with her.
maldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #13
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Good start! Isn't JLT in VA beach?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
Good start! Isn't JLT in VA beach?
Yeah it's here in Chesapeake right on the VB boarder, trying to stop in ASAP but I work second shift so it's hard to get there. If there's anything anyone would like to know while I am there i am completely down to relay questions
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

This... Plus rear end fluid under the circumstances... I'd also suggest a good synthetic fluids all around.. Like RP or Ams Oil
Also, change those plugs, even if they said it was done recently. Motorcraft or Autolite is all you need. Some here like NGK's, but no fancy plugs. Make sure you use anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the boot so you get a good connection from COP to plug.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure

Also, change those plugs, even if they said it was done recently. Motorcraft or Autolite is all you need. Some here like NGK's, but no fancy plugs. Make sure you use anti seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the boot so you get a good connection from COP to plug.
Ok thank you I want to change the plugs but I keep reading that they are prone to snapping in half I'll prob have a mechanic go after them and I think I'll go with motorcraft
Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kraken

Ok thank you I want to change the plugs but I keep reading that they are prone to snapping in half I'll prob have a mechanic go after them and I think I'll go with motorcraft
Just make sure to ask them to put anti seize on the threads as this is the primary reason the snap off The other reason is changing them when the engine is too warm.

I too was worried about this when I changed mine for the first time. I just didn't trust anybody to be careful enough.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure
I too was worried about this when I changed mine for the first time. I just didn't trust anybody to be careful enough.
Well now that you put it like that haha maybe I will just dedicate some time to doing it myself very carefully
Old 07-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well now that you put it like that haha maybe I will just dedicate some time to doing it myself very carefully
Exactly what I'd do. A buddy took his to a shop that broke 6 out of 8 plugs on his f150 and it ended up costing $1500 for a tune up. They get paid to break them. The plugs on a mustang are the easiest of any car to change.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Exactly what I'd do. A buddy took his to a shop that broke 6 out of 8 plugs on his f150 and it ended up costing $1500 for a tune up. They get paid to break them. The plugs on a mustang are the easiest of any car to change.
Yeah I can see they are super easy and iv changed plenty of plugs on harder cars but when I ran a search to find the best plug option it seemed like all that came up where horror stories but you guys def convinced me to just do it carefully myself and I'm sure I should thank you now lol
I would really love to start modding but i want to be smart and start from a well oiled machine first plus I wont have to worry about what maintenance is done because I'll know it all has been by me haha
Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:

Yeah I can see they are super easy and iv changed plenty of plugs on harder cars but when I ran a search to find the best plug option it seemed like all that came up where horror stories but you guys def convinced me to just do it carefully myself and I'm sure I should thank you now lol
I would really love to start modding but i want to be smart and start from a well oiled machine first plus I wont have to worry about what maintenance is done because I'll know it all has been by me haha
It's actually a design flaw on the F150 4.6 and 5.4's during a certain year span. The plugs were basically stuck due to corrosion causing them to break while trying to remove. Moisture getting through the coil/plug boots are the culprit. When you do change them there is a new part number on the motor craft plug and you have to replace all the coil boots at the same time. Pretty pricey plug replacement no doubt.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster Troy

It's actually a design flaw on the F150 4.6 and 5.4's during a certain year span. The plugs were basically stuck due to corrosion causing them to break while trying to remove. Moisture getting through the coil/plug boots are the culprit. When you do change them there is a new part number on the motor craft plug and you have to replace all the coil boots at the same time. Pretty pricey plug replacement no doubt.
Good info thank you for the heads up!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Pretty sure it also has to do with them being two piece spark plugs more so than anything else

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster Troy

So the COP design has changed from that time as well?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT