Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What to replace to hold 600 rwhp?

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  black9D5 
#1 ·
I have a buddy with an 08 gt and he wants to go FI. He thought he could get 600rwhp on stock motor....until I informed him it's only good for about 450 lol so he asked me what he woul have to replace in order to hold 600 safely. I told him the clutch for sure and forged internals but didn't know anything else. That's why i come to you guys!!!

#3 ·
Silversky545 said:
With the right tuner you could run 600hp.... but if he were to romp on it alot he would have problems.... best thing to do is buy a hardened short block... or put a low mile 03-04 cobra block in it....
With 600hp I would worry about the clutch and trans and axles as well

#9 ·
Don't quote me if Im wrong but according to the Kennie Bell website 520rwhp
is the max safe limit for the pistons in the stock 4.6 short block. But then they could be just saying that because the lowest rwhp figure they give for their S/C kit for the 05/09 GT is 501. But I would think that is somewear in the ballpark seeing as how Ford racing sells a bolt on 50 state legal S/C kit that is rated at 550 flywheel hp. Ford would not be able to sell many of those kits if everytime someone like your average joe bolted on one of their kits they blow the motor up Im pretty sure they know what their stock 4.6 motor is able to handle

#7 ·
you can handle 450rwhp IF THE TUNE IS GOOD of course, thats the limit and even then who knows. Some push more and are ok some dont~ but 450 is about the limit if everything is done right to be safe.

If you want 600rwhp then expect to build the motor (which is NOT cheap) or you could save money and resale value etc and buy a GT500 and do a couple small things and tune it to get there.

#8 ·
Torque is really what we need to worry about. Engines make Torque not HP. 450 Torque can equal more HP. Either way, as stated by spector, if the limit is 450, going right up to 450 isn't the BEST idea.

#10 ·
stemar said:
Don't quote me if Im wrong but according to the Kennie Bell website 520rwhp
is the max safe limit for the pistons in the stock 4.6 short block. But then they could be just saying that because the lowest rwhp figure they give for their S/C kit for the 05/09 GT is 501. But I would think that is somewear in the ballpark seeing as how Ford racing sells a bolt on 50 state legal S/C kit that is rated at 550 flywheel hp. Ford would not be able to sell many of those kits if everytime someone like your average joe bolted on one of their kits they blow the motor up Im pretty sure they know what their stock 4.6 motor is able to handle
Ford really sells that so you'll blow your motor and you'll spend 10k on a new one lol I've heads that you can push 500 but it's a time bomb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.