Bama tuner - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #1

Region: California
Bama tuner

I updated my tuner and forgot to put my stang to stock. Is there any way that I can unlock my tuner? I'm trying not to spend $150 to get it unlock from SCT.
Tmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Re: Bama tuner

Have you called SCT?
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #3

Yes I did they told me to send it them and they will unlock it for me for $150. I was thinking to bring the car to the dealer and ask them if they can reset the tune for me. Is it possible? Ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm confused... I have had major issues w bama /sct my car locked up... lost stock tune and aftermarket... ended you being a firmware problem... updated firmware reinstalled tune no problem... I don't understand why you would have to unlock something that is tied to your car via serial number on the sct and proof of purchase
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #5

What happened was the tuner was set to 89 n 93 octane since I used to live in jersey. When I move here in Cali it's hard for me to find a gas station that sells 93 octane, most gas station only sell 91. My tuner was set to S89, P93 & R93. They change my custom tune to 89, 91. When called SCT what happened they told that I need to send the tuner to them. Anyway they told me to try to plug the unit in and try to reset it to stock but it failed.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii

you should be able to reupdate the firmware OR call bama instead of SCT, they're very helpful

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxx
What happened was the tuner was set to 89 n 93 octane since I used to live in jersey. When I move here in Cali it's hard for me to find a gas station that sells 93 octane, most gas station only sell 91. My tuner was set to S89, P93 & R93. They change my custom tune to 89, 91. When called SCT what happened they told that I need to send the tuner to them. Anyway they told me to try to plug the unit in and try to reset it to stock but it failed.
I dont get why you would have to send your tuner in??? All you have to do to change octane would be go to am, go to tuners, go down to free members for life, write you a whole new tune. And the very first question they ask you on the form is what octane you want?? For instance im 87s 87p 91r. You can change it from there. You shouldnt have to send it in. Unless your tuner is messed up??
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

The scenario is kinda confusing that your trying to explain. If your tuner has the correct tune in it and your just trying to change octane, just do what Jake said. If for some reason your trying to start fresh and you want a stock factory tune before you upload your performance tune you can go to the dealer and ask them to load the factory tune to your vehicle. I'm not sure how much they charge. I hope this helped?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #9

Will do, Thanks a lot guys.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxx View Post
Will do, Thanks a lot guys.
Tmaxx,

Let me know how you make out with this. Shoot me a PM if you still need help and I'll see what I can do with the situation. It's hard to get you an exact answer right now because I'm a little confused on exactly the problem your experiencing.

Like I mentioned, feel free to shoot me a PM if you're still stuck!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #11

Shane,

What happened was my tuner was program to 89 and 93 octane. 93 octane is in every gas station in jersey. I move here in Cali 3 weeks ago and can't find @ 93 octane. I called American muscle told them the issue and they emailed me the new octane settings. My mistake is that I did not reset the car to stock tune before uploading the new program to my tuner. I called American muscle they told me to call SCT. SCT told me that the carried I married to the old setting of my tuner, the only way for me to fix it is to send them the tuner and they will unlock it for me. $150 fee and I'll get the tuner in 10 to 15 days.

Tmaxx
Old 08-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Shane,

What happened was my tuner was program to 89 and 93 octane. 93 octane is in every gas station in jersey. I move here in Cali 3 weeks ago and can't find @ 93 octane. I called American muscle told them the issue and they emailed me the new octane settings. My mistake is that I did not reset the car to stock tune before uploading the new program to my tuner. I called American muscle they told me to call SCT. SCT told me that the carried I married to the old setting of my tuner, the only way for me to fix it is to send them the tuner and they will unlock it for me. $150 fee and I'll get the tuner in 10 to 15 days.

Tmaxx
Can you just sync it with the updater? I locked my tuner once and I linked it up to my laptop and did the software update and then it restored itself with the tunes from my files on my PC.

What is the message on your screen?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Shane,

Tmaxx
Tmaxx,

You don't need to go back to stock in between changing custom tunes, only when updating firmware. You should have no issues loading your new tunes onto your Bama programmer and loading them up in the car. It's not locked, and your stock file is still in the tuner and can be returned to stock at any time.

If you have any trouble doing all of this, give the Bama team a call and they'll walk you through it. Again, the only time you'll ever need to return the car back to stock is for firmware updates or if you're selling the car and would like to keep the tuner and re-use it on your next Mustang.

If there's anything else I can do, give me a shout!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Is the car supposed to be returned to stock every time the tune is changed ?
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
Is the car supposed to be returned to stock every time the tune is changed ?
The only time I've seen where you are supposed to return to stock is when you update the firmware on the handheld tuner.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I've been in a worse bind... non of this adds you to me... I had a bad firmware locked up everything... still did not have yo have it unlocked... sucks for u... I feel bad for u
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I big company like American muscle doesn't have any pull with SCT?, that's crappy customer service, I can understand that AM can't unlock it, but AM can't get on the phone with SCT and explain the situation and work something out to were he can be helped for free. That just surprises the hell outta me

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

The reason it's "locked" is because he doesn't have a stock tune. The tuners need to see a tune that the handheld doesn't recognize (as its own) to treat it as the "stock" tune and be uploaded. If he could get lucky enough to get the PCM re-flashed at a dealership, he could trolley on his merry way.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
So what happens if u just dont update the firmware and keep on going? I mean the new update just came out and for the past 2-3 years people have been driving without it and changing tunes. Is it really really necessary unjust ask because I don't wanna take the chance of being locked in back to stock if the tuner decides to fudge up during the upgrade any thoughts?
Artaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol
I big company like American muscle doesn't have any pull with SCT?, that's crappy customer service, I can understand that AM can't unlock it, but AM can't get on the phone with SCT and explain the situation and work something out to were he can be helped for free. That just surprises the hell outta me
I agree 100% , and we all know they are aware of it, rite Dan.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
The only time I've seen where you are supposed to return to stock is when you update the firmware on the handheld tuner.
The tuner software TELLS YOU to return the vehicle to stock between tunes,

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 08-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I did not return car to stock b4 bama sent me a tune for another customer... not to mention the other customer had a different set up than me so it messed everything up... when I got the tuner anther car had been on it... was unlocked however the original cars stock tune was locked into the tuner... via bad firmware, it erased my stock tune and locked my car as the other car... despite a shotty service bama got sct on a conference call and was able to get everything right (a few tunes later ) I had my stock tune file saved in my computer... main reason I was able to get fixed... during all of this both bama and sct both said switching between tunes and or firmware does not mean u have to return car to stock... it's only for safety measures as a back up to your saved files on your end... bama showed fantastic customer service as did sct... I'm happy w both, however I'm not happy w performance out of a can tune... but I can't complain too much because it's a great way to save money while modding... I'll get my dyno tune after I'm finished modding if that is even possible lol.... so op do you not have your stock tune in your computer?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 AM   #24
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

Yup, just before you try to update the firmware. It gives you an opportunity to cancel the procedure.

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 AM ----------

Sorry, re-read that... My tuner does not do this. You can tune with a 91P and re-tune with a 93R and not have to or be told to flash back to stock. This might be because my tuner is the newest model.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:07 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I will mention that I often forget to return to stock and knock on wood, the files always take successfully.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 08-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I've tried 4 tunes that all sux. Lmr has never told me to return to stock, just make sure the firmware is updated each time. I'm gonna try this and load the original tune to see if I still get the cels. The first tune, the car felt like it wanted to pull the wheels but I got cels.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
I will mention that I often forget to return to stock and knock on wood, the files always take successfully.
For flashing tunes, does your handheld actually tell you to return to stock, or is the proper procedure to return it to stock?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For flashing tunes, does your handheld actually tell you to return to stock, or is the proper procedure to return it to stock?
The Bama instructions AND SCT Firmware pre instructions tell you to return it to stock. I believe the reason is to make sure if something happens, you have your stock file and can just retrieve your tunes files from an email again.

It is worth the extra step to me.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM   #29
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:

The Bama instructions AND SCT Firmware pre instructions tell you to return it to stock. I believe the reason is to make sure if something happens, you have your stock file and can just retrieve your tunes files from an email again.

It is worth the extra step to me.
Yes, I agree! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #30
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Tmaxx,

If you are having an issue going back to stock, all you have to do is give Mike Wilson at Bama a call and he'll help you work with SCT to recover the stock file using your VIN number and PCM code. Shouldn't take very long. Hope this helps!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
In this case, the OP has no issue. His tuner isn't locked. There's no need to go back to stock when switching in between custom tunes. The rep that he spoke to on the phone either gave him the wrong info or was confused as to what the problem actually was.

Sorry about all of the confusion, it even took me a few minutes to figure out where this was all going!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
I did not return car to stock b4 bama sent me a tune for another customer... not to mention the other customer had a different set up than me so it messed everything up... when I got the tuner anther car had been on it... was unlocked however the original cars stock tune was locked into the tuner... via bad firmware, it erased my stock tune and locked my car as the other car... despite a shotty service bama got sct on a conference call and was able to get everything right (a few tunes later ) I had my stock tune file saved in my computer... main reason I was able to get fixed... during all of this both bama and sct both said switching between tunes and or firmware does not mean u have to return car to stock... it's only for safety measures as a back up to your saved files on your end... bama showed fantastic customer service as did sct... I'm happy w both, however I'm not happy w performance out of a can tune... but I can't complain too much because it's a great way to save money while modding... I'll get my dyno tune after I'm finished modding if that is even possible lol.... so op do you not have your stock tune in your computer?
I'm glad we were able to get you solved! Sometimes small glitches happen when we send out thousands of tunes or with SCT's devices. However, we always make it right and so do they. They've been one of the most trusted tuning devices for Mustangs for years and we stand behind their products!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #31
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
In this case, the OP has no issue. His tuner isn't locked. There's no need to go back to stock when switching in between custom tunes. The rep that he spoke to on the phone either gave him the wrong info or was confused as to what the problem actually was.

Sorry about all of the confusion, it even took me a few minutes to figure out where this was all going!

Shane
Thanks Shane! Looking back, it appears that there are two topics here; updating your tuner firmware and flashing custom tunes.

So for OP, if his handheld tuner is locked because he forgot to return the ECU to the stock tune before updating the handheld firmware, would his tuner work again if he went to a Ford dealership and got his PCM returned to stock?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
There's no need to go back to stock when switching in between custom tunes.
You do realize the instructions when adding new tunes FROM AM say to return to stock then update firmware, right? I am sure it has to do with adding the firmware since Am is running the latest and maybe the customer isn't but that isn't depicted in the email.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #33
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Shane! Looking back, it appears that there are two topics here; updating your tuner firmware and flashing custom tunes.

So for OP, if his handheld tuner is locked because he forgot to return the ECU to the stock tune before updating the handheld firmware, would his tuner work again if he went to a Ford dealership and got his PCM returned to stock?
Yes, I was confused myself on which one the OP was talking about. If you forgot to return your PCM to stock before updating your firmware, you could go to a Ford dealership and have your computer flashed to stock again. However, we do not recommend this because then your PCM will be change and your tuner will be locked on the old PCM.

The best way to handle the problem you mentioned is to have SCT unlock the the tuner and they'll recover your stock file as well. This way there's no changes to the PCM!

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
You do realize the instructions when adding new tunes FROM AM say to return to stock then update firmware, right? I am sure it has to do with adding the firmware since Am is running the latest and maybe the customer isn't but that isn't depicted in the email.
Borii,

Yes, that is true for updating firmware. I simply stated that you do not need to go back to stock when switching custom tunes, not updating your firmware. Although we don't recommend it, the OP could have kept his old firmware and updated his new Bama tunes without changing back to stock, with no issues. I'm still a little confused what he means by

"I did not reset the car to stock tune before uploading the new program to my tuner."

OP could you your clarify a little more whether or not you're talking about uploading your new Bama tunes or new firmware?

Thanks!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I still want to know what happened to his stock file saved on his computer...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #35
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

Yes, I was confused myself on which one the OP was talking about. If you forgot to return your PCM to stock before updating your firmware, you could go to a Ford dealership and have your computer flashed to stock again. However, we do not recommend this because then your PCM will be change and your tuner will be locked on the old PCM.

The best way to handle the problem you mentioned is to have SCT unlock the the tuner and they'll recover your stock file as well. This way there's no changes to the PCM!

Shane
Thanks Shane!

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I still want to know what happened to his stock file saved on his computer...
And, what the purpose of doing this is. If you can't put it on the tuner and download it to the ECU, what's the point?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT