Cold Weather Misfires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #1

Region: North Dakota
Unhappy Cold Weather Misfires?

Anybody have problems with misfires on a supercharged car in cold climates?

Put in my KB blower last spring. Ran great for 3,000 miles (qll last summer) but started to misfire this winter--driveability quickly deteriorated until I couldn't top 50 MPH. No problems with vacuum, coils, etc, but the plugs were fouled with black soot. I got codes for left bank rich, #6 misfire and random misfire. Replaced plugs and ran great for about 100 miles or so, but now starting to misfire again at higher RPM and throttle (no codes yet, though).

I installed Autolite HT-0 plugs (one heat range colder than stock) as recommended by Kenne Bell, but am wondering--is it possible these plugs are too cold for use on short trips in a cold climate? Most of my trips since these problems started are a mile or two, with the longest being 20 miles. Temperatures have been mostly below zero, with a few days as low as -20. I'm wondering if the plugs are not retaining enough heat to burn the fuel completely, starting a snowball (pardon the pun) of plug fouling and misfires.

I am considering putting the stock plugs back in. I run 8 PSI of boost. Any advice?
NDblackstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner
Re: Cold Weather Misfires?

I'd say it's worth a shot. Granted, temps are starting to warm up now, but you may as well try it. Also, if you're getting a sooty build up, you may want to seafoam the car to clean it out just before you change plugs.

Plus, it's not like plugs are expensive.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #3

Unfortunately, the plugs ARE kind of expensive--at least 100 bucks a set for Autolites. I definitely don't want to have to put in a new set with every gas-up.

KB says I shouldn't use the stock plugs due to detonation, but I wonder if they are just being ultra conservative. They say 99.9% of most problems are due to vacuum leaks, but I think I'm good there. I also haven't messed with the KB tune, which I suspect might be on the rich side to be conservative.

What is Seafoam?

Also, how did you get the picture of your car to show up on your post? I tried adding a photo of mine to my signature, but it doesn't show up when I post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

there's something in your user CP called sigpic or something like that. As far as seafoam, it's a cleaning agent they sell at like any auto store. It'll clean out the carbon deposits. Since you said you're getting some on your plugs, it might be a good idea to clean **** out. It's like $7 a can. I had no idea your plugs were that expensive. I spent like $30 for a new set of 8 just 10 days ago.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

Stock style plugs are pretty check but when you get down to those colder range plugs they are about $100or more for all 8. Raw deal but no one said modifying a car was cheap
Old 03-11-2008, 01:14 PM   #6

That is a fact. Of course, it softens the blow if your $6K investment doesn't run like %@#! 3,000 miles after the install! I heard I need to gap my plugs to make my problem go away--ordered the special gapping tool from PMP yesterday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT