DIY upgrading - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
DIY upgrading

hey guys, i have some parts i would like to DYI but have never done it before, wondering if there is some manual online or at a store i can buy to help me out so i dont screw it up.

what i want to install

FRPP intake manifold
FRPP hotrod cams
CNC machined heads
Longtube headers
Short x-pipe
Pulleys

Shocks and struts
Sway bars

THNX
Neilmac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I just did a new intake manifold on my 03 gt
And it wasn't too bad just gotta go slow and take your time making sure you know where everything goes
I think you'd be able to handle it
03torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilmac23
hey guys, i have some parts i would like to DYI but have never done it before, wondering if there is some manual online or at a store i can buy to help me out so i dont screw it up.

what i want to install

FRPP intake manifold
FRPP hotrod cams
CNC machined heads
Longtube headers
Short x-pipe
Pulleys

Shocks and struts
Sway bars

THNX
First option should be using the directions that most aftermarket companies provide with the parts. If that fails, You can get a Haines manual at your auto parts store, If that isn't very helpful, use google/YouTube. People have posted videos of themselves doing some of these mods.

The pulleys and suspension you talked about won't be hard if you have the right equipment. Preferably a hydraulic lift. The suspension stuff is really pretty self explanatory. The intake manifold is pretty simple as well.

I can't speak for the heads or the cams. Out of my league. The X pipe is pretty simple, but the L/T's are a bit of a *****. If you have the right tools though, it's very doable.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: DIY upgrading

LTs require good height to angle them in. Removing the steering as well. Lengthy but relatively simple.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07 View Post
First option should be using the directions that most aftermarket companies provide with the parts. If that fails, You can get a Haines manual at your auto parts store, If that isn't very helpful, use google/YouTube. People have posted videos of themselves doing some of these mods.

The pulleys and suspension you talked about won't be hard if you have the right equipment. Preferably a hydraulic lift. The suspension stuff is really pretty self explanatory. The intake manifold is pretty simple as well.

I can't speak for the heads or the cams. Out of my league. The X pipe is pretty simple, but the L/T's are a bit of a *****. If you have the right tools though, it's very doable.
neither the intake manifold or cams came with instructions, but ill try and track down a haines

thnx
Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

haha was able to find most of what i was looking for on AM, didnt know they had all that stuff DYI here i come.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I would have a professional do the heads & cams, its easy but over a beginners head.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:

neither the intake manifold or cams came with instructions, but ill try and track down a haines

thnx
Go on American muscle they should have an install guide for one of the manifolds they sell and they should be very similar to each other
03torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

Don't know why you would want to replace the heads, but changing them includes changing the Intake, Cams, Pulleys, and exhaust. So do not do those first, it would be double work. You need to let a pro do it. There are to many little tricks that will not be in a manual. If you mess up it can cost you Thousands to fix.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
^^^^^^^^^^ that ^^^^^^^^^
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
Don't know why you would want to replace the heads, but changing them includes changing the Intake, Cams, Pulleys, and exhaust. So do not do those first, it would be double work. You need to let a pro do it. There are to many little tricks that will not be in a manual. If you mess up it can cost you Thousands to fix.
thnx for the advice on doing heads first. everything i have read on getting new heads has said that they provide huge gains along with all the other parts for mentioned.

my goal is to beat a 5.0 with my 4.6 N/A

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

and any camaro's and challenger's for sure
Old 08-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=my goal is to beat a 5.0 with my 4,4 na[/QUOTE]

It will take all those mods and more just to run a 5.0 even. With the cost of the upgrades you could have bought a 5.0 , Even if you stay N/A. With the Mods you listed you will only make around 350 rwhp. You will need a serous Cam, Stage 3 w/springs, limiters.

NOT trying to be an ***, but you really need to rethink. Since you have no experience you will need DEEP pockets.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilmac23 View Post
haha was able to find most of what i was looking for on AM, didnt know they had all that stuff DYI here i come.
Neilmac23,

Yup! Most of our products have loyal customer submitted install guides that are extremely useful. If you're feeling confident and find one that doesn't have an install guide, make one yourself to submit it into AM. If we use your guide, you'll receive a $200 dollar AM credit!

I figured I would give you a heads up when you're in the middle of a big project!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Haha not sounding like an ***. Sounds like experience. I have had passion for mustang all my life but never really worked on one but have always wanted to. Information I'm getting from websites is telling me that what I have posted should get me 425 at the crank which is 5.0 territory if what I want to do doesn't get me there not a big deal I can always add more. It's the road that got me there that I want to experience learning how to take an engine apart and putting it back together and i get to do it over time little bit here little bit there. I don't think buying a 5.0 is a worth while experience either cuz I own my mustang outright. And now I get to make it into what I want it to be. Not what the dealership made it cuz I wouldn't have any money left over to do anything to it lol. I have a friend who is a mechanic so I would have professional help for the cost of a few beers if I need it.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well good luck, take advantage of the free HP, by making the car as light as possible. I,ve removed all the air bags, radio, power steering, power brakes, padding from under the carpet, no heat or a/c, Aluminum drive shaft, and a lot more.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm running lts, cams, x pipe, high flow cats, an a cai with a custom dyno tune that puts out 353 at the wheels So good luck with the parts if you dyno it post your hp cuz thats the direction I'm shooting for in the next year
2007pullinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
Well good luck, take advantage of the free HP, by making the car as light as possible. I,ve removed all the air bags, radio, power steering, power brakes, padding from under the carpet, no heat or a/c, Aluminum drive shaft, and a lot more.
haha i still want my car to function as a good drivers car. i doubt i would ever take it to a track on a race it on the street where i need it to be as light as possible. i will probably do soemthings like alum driveshaft and rear seat delete.

and wouldnt 360 rwhp equal out to 400 ish hp at the flywheel. so that would be my goal then 400 at the wheel N/a seems liek a bit of a strech.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

And you should probably upgrade the clutch too to handle all that power at the fly
Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007pullinaway View Post
And you should probably upgrade the clutch too to handle all that power at the fly
Stock clutch is more than capable of handling 400 rwhp. Guys are running low 11's on slicks with stock clutch.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007pullinaway
I would upgrade the clutch if the stock one is starting to slip, but not til you need to. I've seen S197 FI cars with over 400whp doing fine with the stock clutch.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

thats good to know i was just about to ask that question. is there any other benefit to getting a better clutch if the one i have is still working fine? or just to handle more power
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
thats good to know i was just about to ask that question. is there any other benefit to getting a better clutch if the one i have is still working fine? or just to handle more power
Just mainly to handle more power.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Hey keep us updated. I'd really like to know real dyno numbers for the heads and the intake manifold.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

A better clutch allows you to grab gears much better... for sake of argument if you can only scratch 2nd gear after new clutch installed you can scratch 3rd ...
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know thnx. Might add that to the build list. Will keep everyone updated. But this will probably be a winter project so it will be a while

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT