Idle surge... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Idle surge...

Okay, I've searched every forum on the Internet, 4 times I think. I know lots of other people have had this problem, but I haven't found the right answer and it's really making me mad.

My car's idle surges when slowing down. Going up and down between 600 and a thousand RPM's. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's bad. Today it wasn't that bad on the way to work or at lunch, but on the way home it was really bad.

I've been told bad gas. I only use 93 octane and it's been going on too long for it to be that.

I also reset the base idle several times, cleaned the TB, put a new TPS on, and got a new dyno tune. I recently moved to Jacksonville, so the guy doing the tune is new to me. He had good reviews though, and a LOT of experience with 4.6L's. His builds were featured is several prominent mustang mags etc. But I took it to him 3 times and when his tune didn't fix it, he said it was just part of having cams. I know that's BS, so now I'm kind of stuck.

Any suggestions?
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07
Okay, I've searched every forum on the Internet, 4 times I think. I know lots of other people have had this problem, but I haven't found the right answer and it's really making me mad.

My car's idle surges when slowing down. Going up and down between 600 and a thousand RPM's. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's bad. Today it wasn't that bad on the way to work or at lunch, but on the way home it was really bad.

I've been told bad gas. I only use 93 octane and it's been going on too long for it to be that.

I also reset the base idle several times, cleaned the TB, put a new TPS on, and got a new dyno tune. I recently moved to Jacksonville, so the guy doing the tune is new to me. He had good reviews though, and a LOT of experience with 4.6L's. His builds were featured is several prominent mustang mags etc. But I took it to him 3 times and when his tune didn't fix it, he said it was just part of having cams. I know that's BS, so now I'm kind of stuck.

Any suggestions?
Mine does the exact same thing and ive always wondered that. But I too have cams so it could be them
2007pullinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Re: Idle surge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07 View Post

Any suggestions?
I have heard that changing the cams to a rough idle cams,,that the computer constantly tries to smooth it out which cause surging during in town driving and idling

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang View Post
I have heard that changing the cams to a rough idle cams,,that the computer constantly tries to smooth it out which cause surging during in town driving and idling
someone may be able to manipulate it by changing the programm,,but not sure

Old 08-22-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007pullinaway

Mine does the exact same thing and ive always wondered that. But I too have cams so it could be them
I don't buy it being the cams. I've had the cams for about a year and this problem just started. About a week ago, it threw code P0442, which I thought was unrelated. I put a new gas cap on, and drove it several hundred miles. Then this morning, same code came back. Along with error code P2100.

Unless someone else has another suggestion, I'm going to put the stock TB back on this weekend and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'm just gonna go trade it in on a 5.0.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

I don't buy it being the cams. I've had the cams for about a year and this problem just started. About a week ago, it threw code P0442, which I thought was unrelated. I put a new gas cap on, and drove it several hundred miles. Then this morning, same code came back. Along with error code P2100.

Unless someone else has another suggestion, I'm going to put the stock TB back on this weekend and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, I'm just gonna go trade it in on a 5.0.
If you can afford it trade it lol
2007pullinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

Region: Indiana

Don't know if this is a related problem or not but mine also surges during idle but only when my a/c is on. It sounds like the compressor kicks on and the revs jumps to about 1000 and then settles back to about 750 after a second. This happens every 10 seconds or so only when I have the a/c on so maybe it is just my compressor. Anyone know if these problems are related?
s197streetmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The first code is a small evap leakk,,shouldnt be related..But the other code im not familiar with..I looked it up and it had to do with the TB..Im assuming yours is drive by wire,,It may be dirty ,,or a electronis problem with it..I can look it up at work if you havent figured it out by then ,,and look at the pinpoint test and maybe give you some info on it..
Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Mind does the same thing. So does my father in laws since he git it brand new in 06 and my brother in laws 07 does it to.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

The first code is a small evap leakk,,shouldnt be related..But the other code im not familiar with..I looked it up and it had to do with the TB..Im assuming yours is drive by wire,,It may be dirty ,,or a electronis problem with it..I can look it up at work if you havent figured it out by then ,,and look at the pinpoint test and maybe give you some info on it..
Yeah. I knew the first one was a small evap leak. I was hoping it was just the gas cap... Apparently not though.

Yeah, I looked up the other one too. But I cleaned the TB really well and that didn't help. We'll see if the stock TB fixes it. I'm putting it back on tomorrow night. If that doesn't help I guess it's TB electrical type.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona

Is your car an auto or manual? How many miles on it? You cleaned your TB, but what about the MAF? If you're not sure how check out Youtube. CRC makes a good MAF cleaning spray and they have a good instructional video on there. I would try cleaning the MAF before swapping back to the stock TB.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
Is your car an auto or manual? How many miles on it? You cleaned your TB, but what about the MAF? If you're not sure how check out Youtube. CRC makes a good MAF cleaning spray and they have a good instructional video on there. I would try cleaning the MAF before swapping back to the stock TB.
It's a manual. 55K miles. Did not clean the MAF, I'll try that as well. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's a manual. 55K miles. Did not clean the MAF, I'll try that as well. Thanks.
After you clean it reset the baro reading by disconnecting the neg battery for about 10 mins,,then drive it around for a little while..A small evap leak is crazy to find without a smoke machine,,but ive seen alot at work,,being the vent solenoid leaking during the self test..You cant really do any test on it without watching the numbers with a scanner,,but thats a common problem around that year..
Old 08-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, I cleaned the MAF, reset the base idle and took it for a spin around Jacksonville tonight. Seems like it's running better, but it still takes it a bit to settle down when stopping. And the CEL didn't come back on, so I'm going to see how it does over the next week, and next weekend I'll try putting the stock TB back on if I need to.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Multiple profanities! Ok, the car was running ok, then yesterday afternoon was heading home from work and it threw p0300 at me. Random misfire. I cleared it, drove home and back into work this morning. So a solid 50 miles. No issues or lights and the idle surge is still there, but not as noticeable. Based on my research, P0300 could be anything from spark plugs (replaced less than 10k ago), to the fuel pump, to the Alternator (replaced about 15k ago), to the CPS to the coil pack... Does anyone think this could all be related? Maybe the CPS is bad and that is causing the surge? I dunno, I'm just throwing stuff out there. I can't work on it til this weekend and after the last mechanic I used here in Jax, I'm not taking it to someone I don't know again, and I can't get it over to Lamotta until this weekend or first part of next week. Any ideas?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:
Multiple profanities! Ok, the car was running ok, then yesterday afternoon was heading home from work and it threw p0300 at me. Random misfire. I cleared it, drove home and back into work this morning. So a solid 50 miles. No issues or lights and the idle surge is still there, but not as noticeable. Based on my research, P0300 could be anything from spark plugs (replaced less than 10k ago), to the fuel pump, to the Alternator (replaced about 15k ago), to the CPS to the coil pack... Does anyone think this could all be related? Maybe the CPS is bad and that is causing the surge? I dunno, I'm just throwing stuff out there. I can't work on it til this weekend and after the last mechanic I used here in Jax, I'm not taking it to someone I don't know again, and I can't get it over to Lamotta until this weekend or first part of next week. Any ideas?
Sounds like you may have a bad PCM with all these random unrelated codes. You might want to take it in to a good diagnostic tech to confirm.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

In completely unrelated news, I have a 2007 Mustang GT for sale. Or trade. If you have a decent Foxbody I'll swap you straight up. You just finish paying off the 6k I owe on it
Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Just to update this. I put the stock TB on last Friday. There's still a little bit of idle surge, but no check engine light for anything. So best I can tell, the BBK TB works fine for lightly modded vehicles. Still don't believe it helps HP, but I think it does help throttle response. However once you add LT's and cams, apparently only some people know how to tune it to work without it throwing codes. I don't think the slight performance gain is worth the hassle and money.

Still haven't figured out the idle surge, but it's not hurting anything, just annoying me, so whatever.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT