Cams - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Cams

Just wondering how much they cost to get them installed? And if they're worth it. I heard they give a really badass sound but what about performance wise ? I was looking at the frpp cams. Thanks
anthonyrc618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm about to help a friend do it our selves... why don't you just do it yourself BTW install is around $600
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc618
Just wondering how much they cost to get them installed? And if they're worth it. I heard they give a really badass sound but what about performance wise ? I was looking at the frpp cams. Thanks
Agree with silversky, price around 600. Plus a new tune. I wanted to do it myself, but felt like it was out my league. I'll be doing it myself next time though.

As far as what you gain, I did Brenspeed rockers and the sound gain alone is worth it IMO. HP gain depends on your supporting mods, bolt ons help bolt ons. I only picked up like 10 whp with cams. But after that, I did lt's and o/r H.... And picked up another 40. I'm sure I wouldn't have gained that much without the cams. Hope this helps.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07

Agree with silversky, price around 600. Plus a new tune. I wanted to do it myself, but felt like it was out my league. I'll be doing it myself next time though.

As far as what you gain, I did Brenspeed rockers and the sound gain alone is worth it IMO. HP gain depends on your supporting mods, bolt ons help bolt ons. I only picked up like 10 whp with cams. But after that, I did lt's and o/r H.... And picked up another 40. I'm sure I wouldn't have gained that much without the cams. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I have the normal. CAI full exhaust flowmasters with x pipe. Long tube headers. I was thinking cams just wanted more info. Thanks

---------- Post added at 07:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I'm about to help a friend do it our selves... why don't you just do it yourself BTW install is around $600
I wish I can do it myself ! lol thanks
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Just follow a Wright up... I've never done it either... what's the worst that can happen lol
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Re: Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07 View Post

Aside from the fact that sound is a ridiculous reason to drop 800 bucks, they do make great power. 10WHP is an understatement. Do you have any dynos for your 10WHP and then 40? Any ET times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
Just follow a Wright up... I've never done it either... what's the worst that can happen lol
A lot lol

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Aside from the fact that sound is a ridiculous reason to drop 800 bucks, they do make great power. 10WHP is an understatement. Do you have any dynos for your 10WHP and then 40? Any ET times?

A lot l
As far as the sound/money, that's your opinion. I would do it again in a heartbeat just for the sound. I wanted old school muscle sound and I got it. There's just something about that lope that makes me smile every single time I'm driving it.

I don't have my old dyno sheets with me, but I do know what the numbers were. I was at 282 to the wheels prior to the cams. After cams, 292. After LT's and O/R H, I was at 336 to the wheels. Both those upgrades were done while I was still in NC.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
As far as the sound/money, that's your opinion. I would do it again in a heartbeat just for the sound. I wanted old school muscle sound and I got it. There's just something about that lope that makes me smile every single time I'm driving it.

I don't have my old dyno sheets with me, but I do know what the numbers were. I was at 282 to the wheels prior to the cams. After cams, 292. After LT's and O/R H, I was at 336 to the wheels. Both those upgrades were done while I was still in NC.
Was 282 and 292 done same day? Same place? All that jazz? What did you rev too at 282, 292 and 336?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 08-25-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Was 282 and 292 done same day? Same place? All that jazz? What did you rev too at 282, 292 and 336?
Not done the the same day, but it was the same place. I don't remember the RPM's. But I've talked to a lot of mechanics that say you don't pick up a lot from cams without supporting mods. Especially not cams like Detroit rockers or FRPP Hot rod cams.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not done the the same day, but it was the same place. I don't remember the RPM's. But I've talked to a lot of mechanics that say you don't pick up a lot from cams without supporting mods. Especially not cams like Detroit rockers or FRPP Hot rod cams.
Mechanic doesn't make you an engineer. That being said, I totally agree that LT will help your numbers tremendously. The LTs didn't ADD 40 HP, they let your cams perform as they should. The gain is the same of course. I say about the RPM because if they revved your car to 6200 for the 282 then they would have made probably another 10-12WHP at 6600 or 6700. Bottom line, you made great numbers in the end. Was it cold when you dynoed the 282 then later dynoed the 292 in the heat? Could throw your numbers off a little, too?

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Old 08-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyrc618
I got frpp cams & the sound couldn't be better, I love it! Performance wise it's good, I definitely felt a lot more pull in upper rpm but I know I can squeeze out a little more if I buy some LT's. Total was about 770$ with the cams & 2 cam phaser bolts you will need. Didn't spend a dime on labor cause my bro & I did it ourselves. If you don't have a lot of mechanical experience I don't recommend you doing it yourself. But if you do, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the ford cam retention tool off Anderson Ford mortorsports, this tool prevents you from taking off the front cover which saves a lot of time & work!!!
Franco09GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco09GT

I got frpp cams & the sound couldn't be better, I love it! Performance wise it's good, I definitely felt a lot more pull in upper rpm but I know I can squeeze out a little more if I buy some LT's. Total was about 770$ with the cams & 2 cam phaser bolts you will need. Didn't spend a dime on labor cause my bro & I did it ourselves. If you don't have a lot of mechanical experience I don't recommend you doing it yourself. But if you do, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND getting the ford cam retention tool off Anderson Ford mortorsports, this tool prevents you from taking off the front cover which saves a lot of time & work!!!
Nice ! Thanks for the info ! I gotta save up for them lol
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia

Yes that tool is important if u do it yourself,,but if follow the instuctions its not that bad,,i do them on the 5.4 at work all the time,,they have problems with the passenger cam not oiling properly or something,,but the first time a little scary ,,but not to bad..Now i heard that the loping camshafts have some issues with idle flares,,so you might want to do some reseach..The ones i do at work are all standard so i dont know personally..I wanted to do mine,,but i rather have a sleeper

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT