Need some help.... New to the site - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

Region: Florida
Need some help.... New to the site

Recently picked a low mileage 08 Ford GT 5spd. It already has an AirRaid CAI, Pypes violator axle backs, and an x-pipe. Stock headers and cats. I need to know if there is a way it has been tuned for the CAI yet. I don't want to purchase a tuner if it has already been tuned. Does it eve need a tuner hooked up to it for the CAI??

This is my first 3v mod motor, I have owned over a dozen fox bodies in the past. Thanks for any info.
Red08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: Need some help.... New to the site

I am no wizzard on the subject but I would check out American Muscle to see if a tune is required for the specific intake you have. Some require a tune, some dont.

Another guy I know ran into issues not knowing he had a custom tune already installed after he put in a bunch of mods he spent months trying to get it sorted and ended up having to buy a new computer with a custom tune for his application. I suspect a ford dealer can tell you if it has a stock tune but am not 100%
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
You could call air-raid and see if that particular cai needs a tune or not
Coreyw428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

My mechanic hooked his fancy diagnostic hand held unit up on my car when I had a vacuum problem. He was looking at it and said to me ( do you have a tune?) I told him yes! How do you know? He said he could see the setting that were not stock.

This is very important for you. If you decide to get a tuner you can hook it up without flashing it and look at your parameters and see if it's tuned. If it is not tuned you can just flash the tune into your system. If it is tuned and you want to put a different tune in it. What you will have to do is get a stock tune flashed into your vehicle before you put your new tune in. This way your tuner will have the stock factory tune stored in your tuner.

The last time I called a Ford dealer around where I live, they said it would be $80 to load the stock tune.

Good luck.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08GT View Post
Recently picked a low mileage 08 Ford GT 5spd. It already has an AirRaid CAI, Pypes violator axle backs, and an x-pipe. Stock headers and cats. I need to know if there is a way it has been tuned for the CAI yet. I don't want to purchase a tuner if it has already been tuned. Does it eve need a tuner hooked up to it for the CAI??

This is my first 3v mod motor, I have owned over a dozen fox bodies in the past. Thanks for any info.
Red08GT,

Most Airaid CAI's don't require a tune. However, they do make a tune required CAI as well. If your Mustang is running well, without any light bucking or surging and you're not throwing any engine lean codes, I would bet that your car is tuned. However, definitely get it double checked at a Ford Dealership or with a Friend that has a SCT tuner.

If you plan on modding the car down the road at all, you mies well invest in a Bama SF3 hand held tuner anyways. Aside from benefiting from our Free Tunes for Life program, you'll be able to check DTC's and datalog your engines overall running condition. Personally, I definitely think it's worth knowing how healthy the tune setup is, before putting tons of miles on it. Even if a Ford dealer can confirm your Mustang is tuned, who's to say it's a quality tune. Keep this info in the back of your mind when making your decision.

Hope this helps some. Let me know if there's anything else I can do!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

Region: Florida

Awesome feedback! Thanks for the info guys this helps me out alot. I planned on getting the Bama Tuner anyways. Im not throwing any codes and she seems to run very well, thanks again!
Red08GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT