stock interior - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

stock interior

Anyone know where I can get a factory looking leather for the doors? Mine had fallen off and I have tried to fix it but it keeps falling down. So I was just going to buy new material and have a shop put it in.
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I guess since this is not an over asked question about cold air intakes or straight pipes that no one has any idea? Lol
Old 09-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by S197Miller
I guess since this is not an over asked question about cold air intakes or straight pipes that no one has any idea? Lol
I know what you mean. It's tough to get answers to other types questions. I've seen Stacey David on Gears talk about a company that sells replacement leather, etc. I can't remember the name but you can get it on his website. It's the episode with the Dodge Express Truck. I think it's www.staceydavid.com

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by S197Miller
Anyone know where I can get a factory looking leather for the doors? Mine had fallen off and I have tried to fix it but it keeps falling down. So I was just going to buy new material and have a shop put it in.
I don't know where you are located, but I have a shop that does leather for me. They don't use kits, they custom cut leather and put it on. Awesome quality work too. If you are in central Florida let me know and I'll find their number.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok

I know what you mean. It's tough to get answers to other types questions. I've seen Stacey David on Gears talk about a company that sells replacement leather, etc. I can't remember the name but you can get it on his website. It's the episode with the Dodge Express Truck. I think it's www.staceydavid.com
I appreciate the straight forward answer. I'll look into it

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07

I don't know where you are located, but I have a shop that does leather for me. They don't use kits, they custom cut leather and put it on. Awesome quality work too. If you are in central Florida let me know and I'll find their number.
I'm in southern Texas so its kind of a far drive for me lol. What was the cost for the door panels if you remember
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE

I'm in southern Texas so its kind of a far drive for me lol. What was the cost for the door panels if you remember[/QUOTE]

I haven't had to do door panels yet. Just fixing seats. They just custom cut the panels of the seat that needed to be replaced. Looks brand new. I wanna say it was like $115. But I don't remember for sure. And based off the time I spent in TX, prices for auto stuff was cheaper there. It's been awhile since I was there though.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Re: stock interior

Ny good upholstry shop should be able to match up the factory stuff, they can order or may have it on hand.
JUNIORS08GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What's wrong with the leather that fell off
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay
What's wrong with the leather that fell off
I guess the adhesive just went to crap. It happened to both doors too.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I see that a lot on southern cars because of the heat. 3M makes a spray on commercial strength adhesive if you haven't already tried that. You might get it at a body shop supply whouse.
05Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mystic
I see that a lot on southern cars because of the heat. 3M makes a spray on commercial strength adhesive if you haven't already tried that. You might get it at a body shop supply whouse.
I tried it. The back of the leather has this foam that hardened and then turned to powder so nothing will stick to it. I scraped and scraped the foam but its like molded into the door panel. One of fords bad design flaws
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry to hear that. My panels are all plastic... Plain but nothing to peel I guess. Let me know what u end up doing.
05Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have an 06 gt and the leather fell off one door and is bubbling on the other. I would love to know how you fix thus and how much it costs you.
Solomo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomo2
I have an 06 gt and the leather fell off one door and is bubbling on the other. I would love to know how you fix thus and how much it costs you.
Oh wow looks like I better get mine fixed now. Mine has bubbled a little on my driverside but not bad...better to fix it now than later
S197STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I actually sprayed glue all in it and then used clear silicone in the gap between the leather and plastic. It did its job but don't use clear. Because in one spot it pulled it out some and the clear turned white. Doesn't look the best against a black surface. So if you have black interior I would use a black silicone.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

I would find a good upholstery shop. May be a little more expensive, but I believe you would be happy with the results. MO
swilliams500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams500
I would find a good upholstery shop. May be a little more expensive, but I believe you would be happy with the results. MO
I know I would be. It's Just money is tight right now and so I have to put priorities first.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

This sux... hope my car holds up... knocks on pee pee
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

This should be a pretty easy fix, I think the panel that the leather is attached to comes out of the panel. Once you get the whole panel off pop the inner portion out then pull the leather off...scrape all that foam crap off of the panel and the leather, get some 3M spray adheasive from a parts store. hit the panel and the leather and let sit till it is tacky then apply the leather slowly, a laying down a little at a time. Do a quick spray on the partion youre going to lay down, rub it and work it, then spray another section, rub it and work it...then when you get to the ends...get some in expensive plastic clamps and clamp it down...I ahve built a few panels for a few cars over the years...just take your time...there arevideos out there to guide you.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNIORS08GT
This should be a pretty easy fix, I think the panel that the leather is attached to comes out of the panel. Once you get the whole panel off pop the inner portion out then pull the leather off...scrape all that foam crap off of the panel and the leather, get some 3M spray adheasive from a parts store. hit the panel and the leather and let sit till it is tacky then apply the leather slowly, a laying down a little at a time. Do a quick spray on the partion youre going to lay down, rub it and work it, then spray another section, rub it and work it...then when you get to the ends...get some in expensive plastic clamps and clamp it down...I ahve built a few panels for a few cars over the years...just take your time...there arevideos out there to guide you.
Thanks for the insight man we all appreciate it! I'll probably try that out soon. if not, off to an upholstery shop it is! Hopefully that works I have some 3m adhesive in the shop so that's my weekend project!
S197STANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNIORS08GT
I've taken the whole door panel off and tried to take that part out. But its molded to the door panel and I'm going going to break it free to try and fix it lol. Maybe there is another way to take it off, but from what I remember its molded to the inside of the panel. That's why I didn't re-wrap it, because I couldn't get the inner panel to come out of the main panel.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197STANG View Post
Thanks for the insight man we all appreciate it! I'll probably try that out soon. if not, off to an upholstery shop it is! Hopefully that works I have some 3m adhesive in the shop so that's my weekend project!
if youre not handy with this sort of thing it really is best to farm it out, depending on where youre at this can be done cheaply. I know places around here that will do this for around 50 bucks. I got a quote for a whole interior for my other car for arouns 1100 to include door panels,headliner, front and rear seats and carpet...again, it depends on your location. I am in southern arizona and upholstery shops are all over with skilled guys who work cheap if you know what I am sayin'.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I had both doors redone utilizing the factory leather by a professional upholsterer. $40 each door. $80 for both and guaranteed not to come off. If the factory leather could not be reused, it would have been $200 for both doors with new leather.

It's the foam under the leather that goes bad and nothing will stick.

Call a few shops, get quotes, find feedback on the shop, and get it done right the first time.
bluefirstgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT