Gears and Supercharger Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Gears and Supercharger Question

Hey guys im looking to supercharge my 07 GT in March or April. Im more than likely buying the Vortech kit. I was wondering if i get 4.10 gears if it will be too much and ill just spin everywhere.
I have mods already like
C&L CAI
Bama Tuner
Pypes O/R H pipe
Pypes Muffler Deletes

Any input welcome!
Thanks guys!

Oh and heres a quick pic i took for the sake of it lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120911_180124.png
Views:	328
Size:	893.7 KB
ID:	68207
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Beautiful machine there sir. Uh to my knowledge you'll never move with 4:10's. Just stay smoking some rubber. Im sure you'd get advised for 73's. Mucho power for 4:10's unless you really want that little gas lotta spin feel =}
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch
Beautiful machine there sir. Uh to my knowledge you'll never move with 4:10's. Just stay smoking some rubber. Im sure you'd get advised for 73's. Mucho power for 4:10's unless you really want that little gas lotta spin feel =}
Thanks man!!! I figured i wouldnt move much!!! Would buying 3.73 be worth it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would go with 4.10s. People usually go to 3.73s just with bolt ons. don't fear the gear especially if your adding forced induction
anthonyrc618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Re: Gears and Supercharger Question

You will literally have no first gear with 4.10s or 3.73s. Some people that get FI even keep stock gears just because FI with 4.10s you will need DRs just to drive daily and you will be shifting into second after 10 feet.
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake

Thanks man!!! I figured i wouldnt move much!!! Would buying 3.73 be worth it??
Tada mixed inputs now jaja. I guess at this point is just wait a bit and see when FI guys/gals kick in. So far good points from all sides, to me leading to gonna end up being a personal preference
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Tada mixed inputs now jaja. I guess at this point is just wait a bit and see when FI guys/gals kick in. So far good points from all sides, to me leading to gonna end up being a personal preference
Yea ill probably just stick with my gears i have now!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Hey Jake,

You will hear all different answers on this subject, but the rule of thumb is this;

Use 4.10's with a centrifugal and 3.73's with a roots or twin screw if you plan on street driving. Also remember that first gear will be basically useless for you. This is just my knowledge and insight on what I've read and people that have these set ups that I know.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake

Yea ill probably just stick with my gears i have now!
Good call, plus you'll get to try them out and see how you like em
{Never Enough HP}
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog
Hey Jake,

You will hear all different answers on this subject, but the rule of thumb is this;

Use 4.10's with a centrifugal and 3.73's with a roots or twin screw if you plan on street driving. Also remember that first gear will be basically useless for you. This is just my knowledge and insight on what I've read and people that have these set ups that I know.
Okay awesome, the vortech is a centri and brenspeed said it kicks in at 3k rpm. Which i love so i can cruise when i want and have no wear and tear! Also my car is a auto if that makes a difference.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Quote:

Good call, plus you'll get to try them out and see how you like em
Right. Ill supercharge then if i want more gears it is. !!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Okay awesome, the vortech is a centri and brenspeed said it kicks in at 3k rpm. Which i love so i can cruise when i want and have no wear and tear! Also my car is a auto if that makes a difference.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

Right. Ill supercharge then if i want more gears it is. !!!
Just make sure when you order it that you get the one that's made for automatic trans. Thet do make some that are only used for manual trans.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldog

Just make sure when you order it that you get the one that's made for automatic trans. Thet do make some that are only used for manual trans.
Thanks! Im ready to get it so i wont be too far behind the 5.0s!
Old 09-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Could u not go in the middle and get a 3.90 gear? It's a more uncommon gear but it's in the middle of to much or too less IMO
xhgwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you really want the best quarter mile time I think 3.73 would be a good bet. Personally i love the 3.55 amd that's what I would go with. Hell on wot I break loose halfway through 2nd on 275 rubber and I'm basically a stock mach 1. I wouldn't want more gear for a street driven car.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Im pretty much decided that ill supercharge then if i feel i can push it some more i will! I only drive my car on the weekends to just cruise around town but i will bring it to the track ocassionaly
Old 09-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Hey guys im looking to supercharge my 07 GT in March or April. Im more than likely buying the Vortech kit. I was wondering if i get 4.10 gears if it will be too much and ill just spin everywhere.
I have mods already like
C&L CAI
Bama Tuner
Pypes O/R H pipe
Pypes Muffler Deletes

Any input welcome!
Thanks guys!
Quote:
Im pretty much decided that ill supercharge then if i feel i can push it some more i will! I only drive my car on the weekends to just cruise around town but i will bring it to the track ocassionaly
Hey Jake, I hope all is well!

I'm glad to hear you're getting ready to pull the trigger on the Vortech kit, that set up on the 3v's is nasty! As far as gears go you're going to get a ton of different opinions and experiences. I would definitely recommend the approach your taking at the moment. Strap the blower on the car and enjoy your new power and then you get used to it, throw a set of gears in!

Since your car is automatic you have a pretty wide verity of gear choices, considering you don't have to shift every 2 seconds lol! In a lot of cases people will install a taller gear like a 3.55 so that they can stay in boost longer and don't have to shift as much. I bet you'd be fine with a set of 3.73's or 4.10's as long as your running a sticky tire!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

Hey Jake,

I have the V3 Vortech from Brenspeed. I also have been investigating what gears to use. I have decided to go with the 373 instead of the 410, but it depends on the boost you have. Many people with automatics will go with the 410s. I personally will be going with the 373s because I have a manual and pushing 527hp to the wheels. Good luck on your decision.
45ANNGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer

Hey Jake, I hope all is well!

I'm glad to hear you're getting ready to pull the trigger on the Vortech kit, that set up on the 3v's is nasty! As far as gears go you're going to get a ton of different opinions and experiences. I would definitely recommend the approach your taking at the moment. Strap the blower on the car and enjoy your new power and then you get used to it, throw a set of gears in!

Since your car is automatic you have a pretty wide verity of gear choices, considering you don't have to shift every 2 seconds lol! In a lot of cases people will install a taller gear like a 3.55 so that they can stay in boost longer and don't have to shift as much. I bet you'd be fine with a set of 3.73's or 4.10's as long as your running a sticky tire!

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

-Dan
Yep! I have an internship through college in March so it will a little ways down the road! Im def ready for the increase in power! I would love to have my car in the 12's!

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ANNGT
Hey Jake,

I have the V3 Vortech from Brenspeed. I also have been investigating what gears to use. I have decided to go with the 373 instead of the 410, but it depends on the boost you have. Many people with automatics will go with the 410s. I personally will be going with the 373s because I have a manual and pushing 527hp to the wheels. Good luck on your decision.
How was the power increase?! Do you like the Vortech itself??
Old 09-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

The power is great! With just the supercharger and axel backs, I'm at 527 RWHP with very conservative tune. Pushing stock block, but its not my DD. Having 373s installed and that should put me in the low 12 to mid 11s. Best bang for the buck. the centri blower needs gears to get going early in the track to maximize the best ET.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT