Whine during acceleration: (wife not in car) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Whine during acceleration: (wife not in car)

Recently had my tires rotated and I noticed a whine during acceleration. The sound is very similar to a radio interference type of noise, but I turn off the radio and still have it. It only happens while rolling, I drop car into nuetral and race the engine and no noise, however in gear rolling the whine will increase in pitch as I get faster. It goes away completely as I slow even before coming to a complete stop.
The sound it seems is coming from the top center of the dash if that makes any sense?

I may need an Old Priest and a Young Priest?
swilliams500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Read title... thought my sarcastic response was going to be "you have a radio interference problem" then I read entire post... I'm at a loss... no idea anyone else got anything?
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

If it started when you had your wheels rotated, rotate them back to see if that's the issue. I have no idea why that would be an issue but it's worth ruling out. Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams500
...and you might need an Old Mechanic and a Young Mechanic.

The power of Ford compels you. The power of Ford compels you! Haha.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If u have directional tires maybe they r on backwards causing wind tunnel effect in your finder Wells?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

They didn't accidentally put a supercharger on the did they....lol j/k I would take the car back and have them remove the wheels to check for unusual wear which could be caused by rubbing
godsdisciple85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
If u have directional tires maybe they r on backwards causing wind tunnel effect in your finder Wells?
+7
Mr. SoloDolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Re: Whine during acceleration: (wife not in car)

if you have any type of power source running off a cigarette lighter it might be this. i have a cell phone charger pluged in and everytime i press the gas at a good rate of speed you can hear the whine sounds like a mini supercharger. what happens to my knowledge of what ive been told is that the phone cant use all the power that is being pushed to it therfore sends it back to the alternator therfore creating a high pitch whine.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams500
Recently had my tires rotated and I noticed a whine during acceleration. The sound is very similar to a radio interference type of noise, but I turn off the radio and still have it. It only happens while rolling, I drop car into nuetral and race the engine and no noise, however in gear rolling the whine will increase in pitch as I get faster. It goes away completely as I slow even before coming to a complete stop.
The sound it seems is coming from the top center of the dash if that makes any sense?

Your tires are cupped is what it sounds like. Go check the inside tread.of your front and back tires if you run your hand against the tire tread and feel waves in the tire or its like the tire is uneven they are cupped. Only fix is new tires and alignment. Alignment being out is what causes it. I get it at my job alot. Lmk if i am any help

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknRed05gt

Your tires are cupped is what it sounds like. Go check the inside tread.of your front and back tires if you run your hand against the tire tread and feel waves in the tire or its like the tire is uneven they are cupped. Only fix is new tires and alignment. Alignment being out is what causes it. I get it at my job alot. Lmk if i am any help
On second thought i think im wrong sounds more electrical then mechanical. I jumped into diag before reading the entire complaint. But dont rule it.out
BlacknRed05gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Is your car a manual? If so, it kinda sounds like a throw out bearing could be going bad as it happens when you are in gear and not when you rev the engine in neutral. If it were tire related the noise would not stop regardless of being in gear or neutral. Another scenario would be one of the idler pulley's, way back when I had a whining noise during acceleration that sounded like a supercharger, turned out to be one of my idler pulley bearings making the noise. Anyway, those are a couple of things to check.
Good luck.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Tire shop guys went on a joy ride and blew ur trany up.. uh oh... REGULATORS!!!!! mount up...

Old school... most won't get that lol
Old 09-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe a short in the flux capacitor. Happens sometimes in the 11-13 models.

CURRENT: 2016 GTPP, Vortech, Ford/Borla cat back, 1" drop on Vogtland, 1" Hubcentric spacers, APR Front Splitter, RTR Upper Grille.

SOLD: 2011 5.0, Auto, C&L CAI, Dyno Tuned, 3.73s, Boss 302 Intake, Magnaflow Competition axlebacks, Stallion Suspension LCAs, Whiteline Sway Bars.
doug5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster Troy
Is your car a manual? If so, it kinda sounds like a throw out bearing could be going bad as it happens when you are in gear and not when you rev the engine in neutral. If it were tire related the noise would not stop regardless of being in gear or neutral. Another scenario would be one of the idler pulley's, way back when I had a whining noise during acceleration that sounded like a supercharger, turned out to be one of my idler pulley bearings making the noise. Anyway, those are a couple of things to check.
Good luck.
X10...
mustang06gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
If it started when you had your wheels rotated, rotate them back to see if that's the issue. I have no idea why that would be an issue but it's worth ruling out. Maybe?

...and you might need an Old Mechanic and a Young Mechanic.

The power of Ford compels you. The power of Ford compels you! Haha.
was wondering how many people would know that quote, LOL

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
Tire shop guys went on a joy ride and blew ur trany up.. uh oh... REGULATORS!!!!! mount up...

Old school... most won't get that lol
Emilio Estvez (spelling) Young Guns.

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey herron View Post
if you have any type of power source running off a cigarette lighter it might be this. i have a cell phone charger pluged in and everytime i press the gas at a good rate of speed you can hear the whine sounds like a mini supercharger. what happens to my knowledge of what ive been told is that the phone cant use all the power that is being pushed to it therfore sends it back to the alternator therfore creating a high pitch whine.
I do have a cigarette lighter phone charger plugged in. I will have to check this one out. I hope that is all that it is.

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
Never even considered this, since these are the original tires when I purchased the car. Not that the previous owner didn't install directional tires. Thank you for the suggestion.

---------- Post added at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang06gt View Post
X10...
It's an automatic. I have been under the hood and can't hear it, like I said the noise is only there when rolling, gone when I stop. Thank you for the information.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

another thing is check your intake could be a crack somewher or something makine a whistle like whine maybe
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
another thing is check your intake could be a crack somewher or something makine a whistle like whine maybe
That would be a concern if I were hearing while sitting still and reving the engine. However the only time you hear the noise is while rolling, faster i roll the higher the pitch.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did disconnect the charger from the cigarette lighter this morning and I did not hear the noise. I plugged it back in and still no noise after that. maybe it was loose?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You should not admit it was electrical lol... lie and say it was something else... I got flamed for something similar on a different site... glad u found the problem tho
Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

uh possibly loose like i say i charge my phone and it whines. my buddy "topgeargt" was like dude is there supercharger in this thing or what, when i got at really high speeds it was loud. glad you got it fixed though
Old 09-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I promise you this is not a joke, never heard the noise until...... My wife got in the car with me this weekend. I think it whines because my car is jealous!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT