Need help fixin up car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #1

Region: California
Talking Need help fixin up car

Alright i just got 05 mustang gt, and i need some help gettin some power into it. From small gains to big ones. Any info or suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Also i am lookin to get a new exhaust, i want one that not only sounds deep and throaty but gives me some additional hp as well. I am new to fix up cars so like i said before any and all suggestion are welcome and thank you in advance.
Justintime540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil
Re: Need help fixin up car

What you are going to do depends largely on budget and planning. You can either slowly build power and get used to the game. I beleive the standard order tends to be 1) Cold Air Intake 2) Cat-back exhaust 3) mid-pipe 4) tires 5) anti-wheel hop suspension mods 6) gears, etc etc. You can change things to your preference but that is approximately how most people go about it. Or you can jump right in and supercharge the bastard.
Are you doing the work yourself or getting it done for you because that definitely changes things because of labor costs.
As for exhaust, there are plenty good ones out there and you will hear everyone fighting for the exhaust they went with. I bought a Borla aggressive cat-back and I absolutely love it. It is mean and throaty and everything I had hoped for. I get compliments no matter if I'm hanging out with Mustang guys, Mazda guys, import tuners, or even just in the parking lot of a grocery store.
Give us a little more information about budget and goals so we can help you better. A quicker daily driver is vastly different than an 11 sec dragster or an auto-cross 'stang.

Beware: Mods are a slippery slope. Once you begin, you will become addicted!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #3

Well i will have roughly a grand each month to invest in my car, right now 2000. I went to the ford dealership and he pretty much recommended anything ford, pretty much roush. I know there is more out there. Most likely take it to someone to get it done, dont want ta do something i can fix, i am pretty ignorant when it comes to cars, my first real car. What i would like to do is start of slow, get the little things like the intake you mentioned and then finish with the supercharger. i already have foose rims and ziggen high performance tires so thats good.

Pretty much want a car that gets up and go's and turns heads. Not lookin for a dragster but i am lookin for some power and to get that classic look. Just tired of these lil honda's that sound like crap, show em a real car. haha

Here is a pic of my car

Thanks for the reply
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI1608.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	18952  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Some good quick power is a cold air intake and a tuner. You can easily enough do that yourself or with a buddy. I currently have a K&N cold air intake which is sweet because it bolts right on and needs nothing else and you can feel the difference but I am upgrading to a C&L Racer intake because I am getting camshafts installed this week. A handheld tuner like the DiabloSport Predator or the SCT XCalibraor II are good and can be updated with new tunes. Check out the kits on Brenspeed.com, AmericanMuscle.com, or one of the sponsors to this site. I am a fan of Brenspeed but that is just me. You will drop about $650 on the intake and tuner package but you will notice a difference in acceleration and power. The best cold air intake for our mustangs is the C&L Street. An exhaust is hard to notice power gains but you should definitely hear the difference. Changing out the gears in the rear is also relatively cheap and will be a major boost to acceleration but will hurt gas mileage.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

It seems its hard to make an 05+ sound good.. every exhaust I see lets the owner down as it just isnt loud enough. Do cat back make any more of a difference?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

My Borla aggressive cat-back never let me down. It sounds amazing and it sure as hell is plenty loud. Anyone who has heard my car will attest to that. One of my friends has a Mach 1 and an 07 GT500 and he agrees that it sounds perfect.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

The saleen exhaust sounds killer on these cars as well...unless it was the O/R X and Long tubes.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I haven't messed with the headers or cats yet. When I do it will be long tubes with high flow cats and keeping an h-pipe so the exhaust stays legal and as deep note as possible
Old 04-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab

i'm the only guy known to man that's ever achieved over a million horsepower. personally, i would direct your questions to me. We'll go from there. Have a good day.

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Damn it, he's right. You should listen to braumab. All hail the million HP man .:worship: I will never be as fast as him. I'm gonna go in my corner and cry now. . .
Old 04-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab

thank you RedDevil. I hope we can get passed this moment. :thumbs2:

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

:beatyou: Not a problem when I pass you on the track. ha ha. Its all in good fun and I know not to take half the things you say seriously. :drive:
Old 04-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedDevil View Post
:beatyou: Not a problem when I pass you on the track. ha ha. Its all in good fun and I know not to take half the things you say seriously. :drive:
Only half?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #14

Well it turns out someone i work with his really good friends with a mechanic at a ford dealership and can get parts wholesale and charges what he wants for labor cuz he will do it as a side job, and from iam told he charges next ta nothing. Since he works for them he can use the shop and it wont void the warranty. SWEET!!!!! :woo:
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Will he only install FRPP or will he install any part you buy. Make sure you still get the best parts and the plan what you want to do exactly. Have you decided what your appearance/ handling/ power goals are?
Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM   #16

That iam not sure of, iam still waiting for some quotes for some of the work i want ta get done. If i were to get a supercharger, should i wait and get the cold air intake and computer chip or just get em now??? And as far as superchargers go is there really big difference between em. Ive seen some that are a grand cheaper and promise the same results. Any does anybody know a site i can go and get ratings or comments from people that own the parts themselves ta get an idea what i can expect???

Thanks again
Old 04-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #17

Are those 18's or 20's? Looks sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintime540 View Post
Well i will have roughly a grand each month to invest in my car, right now 2000. I went to the ford dealership and he pretty much recommended anything ford, pretty much roush. I know there is more out there. Most likely take it to someone to get it done, dont want ta do something i can fix, i am pretty ignorant when it comes to cars, my first real car. What i would like to do is start of slow, get the little things like the intake you mentioned and then finish with the supercharger. i already have foose rims and ziggen high performance tires so thats good.

Pretty much want a car that gets up and go's and turns heads. Not lookin for a dragster but i am lookin for some power and to get that classic look. Just tired of these lil honda's that sound like crap, show em a real car. haha

Here is a pic of my car

Thanks for the reply
Darkhorse_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:57 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

If you get a supercharger, you can not use a cold air intake because it won't fit. You can still use the tuner but you will need a new tune for the new parts you put on. Some places will charge you $75-100 for this new tune or it could be free if you bought the programmer from the same place you but your supercharger from. As for installation quotes, a good way to come up with a rough estimate is go to Steeda's website as they list estimate install time for every part they sell and then multiply that by the average labor rate of $80/hr. The superchargers are indeed differnt and it comes down to the boost they supply as well as whether or not they come with an intercooler. The intercooler is important for higher boost applications. On superchargers, the boost is determined by the size of the pulley it is running.

If you want to add a little power now and then wait a year or something until you are comfortable with a supercharger then go ahead and get the CAI and tuner but if you are still undecided just save your money until you are completely satisfied with your decision.

As for my wheels, they are made by AFS and they are 20x9 up front and 20x10.5 in the rear. I wanted classy but not too showy so I went with a machined faced with black interior. I also added performance brake pads and painted the calipers for that extra hint of badassery
Old 04-14-2008, 07:46 PM   #19

There Nitto nt555 extreme tires with 20 inch foose rims. I bought the car used and the dealership lowered the front a lil bit, it looks sick.Thats all i have that isn't stock and i get so many compliments. Anyways my vaca is coming up and i plan on getting some work done on it. Lookin to tint the windows, install a new exhaust, and either a new brake set up or a hood scoop.

I also have a question, i have been lookin at body kits and i real like the side exhaust body kits. Now would it be pointless ta get an exhaust now, or can they alter the exhaust to fit the body kit? The body kits was the last thing i think iam going to get besides a super or turbo charger.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #20

O and reddevil thanks for all the info its been a big help on how i am going to get parts installed and helpin me save some money which is always cool. haha
Old 04-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

A normal exhaust that comes out the back will not fit the side exhaust which once again plays into the hole thing of getting something now or waiting for something that is more expensive. If you get a side exhaust, it is totally bad *** but you have to think that you need the exhaust itself, the sideskirts (or rocker panels) that are made for the exhaust and preferrably a rear bumper or bumper cover that will hide your old exhaust cut-outs as well as painting of those parts.
I contemplated side exhaust because of how nasty it looks but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money. I know Cervinis has a kit but where else were you looking?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:53 PM   #22

Thats actually the site i was lookin at. In the new ford mustang and muscle magazine they had a mustang in it that was sick, and it had the cervinis side exhaust with the saleen hood it looked sick.

O yeah i know its going to cost a ****load to get it done if i want simply cuz you need to buy pretty much the whole kit and cervinis kits are very expensive.

Well i have someone on my block that owns a body shop, i never really talked too em but i think i am going to make a new friend this week haha. Maybe they can hook me up.

Hey do you know a site that have pics of custom mustangs, just ta get some ideas. I cant find any it seems.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

American Muscle has a customer rides section where people submit their pics and stage3motorsports (who i have the painted xenon side view mirror covers on the way from) also has a pictures section. You may find some things you like from one of those sites.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM   #24

well i went and got a full cat back magnaflow exhaust system but on, which was recommended by the dealership for being louder and sounding aggresive. Well i am really not happy with the results, its just a lil deeper at when i give it gas but thats it. Was wondering if i can swap some parts out too make it louder. Like i said i am new too all this so bear with me. I keep on hearing bout h-pipes,x-pipes, and y-pipes and headers can change the sound can someone give some tips on what these do and maybe some ideas on what i can do. I just spent some money on this so dont want ta spend to much more ta get the sound. thanks in advance
Old 04-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Magnaflow is a pretty basic name. You definitely get what you pay for out of exhaust so you need to shell out stupid money to get a great cat-back. The mufflers are the main determining factor for sound in a street legal exhaust.
There are bacially three parts to the Mustang exhaust. The h-pipe or x-pipe is the mid-pipe. This is the part of the exhaust which has a crossover between the left side and right ride of the exhaust. It also contains the catalytic converters (or cats). The car comes stock with an h-pipe. If you get a midpipe without cats it is generally referred to as off road (O/R). It will free up some hp and make the car louder and a bit raspier but be careful when it is time for state inspections, especially in CA.
A V8 Mustang would not have a y-pipe.
Headers are the name for the aftermarket part of the exhaust which is bolted right to the engine casing. If stock, it is referred to as the exhaust manifold. These collect the exhaust from each individual cylinder and form it into one tube. You really do not need to change these out unless you are lookig to drop some serious mony or are a hardcore racer.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #26

This car sounds like a beast.

alright give an idea what iam goin for. It says x pipes, the dealer said maganaflow 15883 model are x pipes is that true or are they just different mufflers. Also if i am lookin to put a supercharger on my car would it be worth it ta change the headers. Thanks again
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

According to the Magnaflow website, part # 15883 is an aggressive sounding cat-back system, not the midpipe.
If you've got the money then go ahead and get headers. Shorty headers really are not worth it so go with long tubes. They are more expensive but you will actually get power gains from them. Make sure you get a full kit that has a shortened midpipe, O2 extensions, header gaskets/bolts and all that because it is a pain to hunt down all the little parts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT