Cylinder #2 misfire. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 AM   #1

Region: Utah
Cylinder #2 misfire.

First post for me. Here goes: my 2005 Mustang GT (new owner of 3 weeks) is displaying the check engine symbol. Upon having the code read I am told the ECM registered a misfire on cylinder 2. I replaced the plug and wire and swapped the coil with cylinder five (just to test the coil before spending $ to replace it). Code goes away for about two days then comes back. Same cylinder # which means the coil was fine since #5 (which now has the coil from #2) is not registering problems. So if it's not the coil, plug, or wire... What could it be?
storieddeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Have you checked the fuel injector for that cyl Faulty fuel injectors can also cause a misfire

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Probably like stemar said,,the injector,,check the resistance of that injector and compare it with one next to it,,or the injector could have a dirty spray,,or leaking,,Also if its noticable misfire,,wiggle the coil primary wire connector while it running and make sure theres not a bad connection,,ive seen the wire break right at the neck where it pluggs into the connector

Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

I did a cylinder cut out test which suggested cylinder 2 was firing just fine, at least at the time of the test, but I haven't tested the injector. This morning when I started the beast the light wasn't on and still isn't. Would the colder weather today change something?
Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Perhaps the injector is plugged up and not allowing correct fuel flow
moto113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I know someone that had the same problem with a #8 cylinder misfire. They took out the injectors and flow tested them, they where all over the place. Cleaned them and reinstalled them, misfire gone. Car runs better than it ever has.
S281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Worst case scenario, you could have a bad valve in the cylinder head. Is the misfire live or random?
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #8

I believe the misfire is random. I have never noticed it while driving. If it is the injector (which it is sounding like it may be) are there any fuel additive cleaners good enough to save me from pulling it?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by storieddeth View Post
I believe the misfire is random. I have never noticed it while driving. If it is the injector (which it is sounding like it may be) are there any fuel additive cleaners good enough to save me from pulling it?
Im not sure on the additives,,but i acually took a wire,,if you can get to it,,while it was running and grounded the injector from back ,,only for a second,,..i did this a few times and it cleaned the trash out of it ..You have to back probe the connector while its plugged in,,and make sure its the ground side,,Ive done this three times,,and 2 times it worked,,the third time i had to end up replacing it..This is not a written procedure,,but it work for me,,you cant do it but only a sec,,,at a time,,so you wont wash the cylinder or burn up the injector..But personally,,try the additive first,,Someone on here probably knows a good brand
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I'd be really curious if anyone has had any success with additives. My car has throw the "random misfire" code 3 times in the last 2 months or so. Since it doesn't identify which cylinder the issue is, it's hard to diagnose. The plugs were all replaced about 10k miles ago, so from what I can deduce its either the coil or the injectors. After today, it won't be my car anymore, so it won't matter, but if you guys think it will help I'll put some additive in the tank when I fill it up prior to selling it this afternoon.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07
I'd be really curious if anyone has had any success with additives. My car has throw the "random misfire" code 3 times in the last 2 months or so. Since it doesn't identify which cylinder the issue is, it's hard to diagnose. The plugs were all replaced about 10k miles ago, so from what I can deduce its either the coil or the injectors. After today, it won't be my car anymore, so it won't matter, but if you guys think it will help I'll put some additive in the tank when I fill it up prior to selling it this afternoon.
Additives are crap, take to a shop and get a fuel system clean. You want to have someone run a detergent through the fuel rail to ensure proper cleaning. They usually run around a $100 To $150. Make sure the shop you take it to does it this way and not the half *** way through a vacuum line on the intake.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT