What are signs of clutch going out? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 78
What are signs of clutch going out?

How to tell your clutch is going out?
Jboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboogie
How to tell your clutch is going out?
Either the pedal will get stiff or it will slip. To see if is slips, put it in 5th at 30 and floor it. You'll be able to tell lol.
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Jboogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: North Carolina
Posts: 78
Is this true?
Jboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
maldog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboogie View Post
How to tell your clutch is going out?
You may smell the clutch burning from slipping. You should see the RPM gauge fluctuating rising when stepping on the gas, but speed not increasing.
__________________
2006 Mustang GT Premium RedFire. CAI, SLP Loudmouth, SCT Progammer, 5 speed manual trans. My other car is a CORVETTE!
maldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
S197Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307
Well actually putting in fifth at 30mph and flooring is the easiest way to know of your clutch is worn out. The rpms will rise while you pretty much don't move. If your rpms get up to 2500 before you hit over 40, then you know your clutch is gone. Don't waste your money calling a shop just to check it.. because I bet that the shop will test drive the car in fifth gear and floor it. Then charge you an arm and a leg for the "test".
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ucfknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 208
Does this same rpm range work with 3.73 gears?
Ucfknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
S197Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucfknight
Does this same rpm range work with 3.73 gears?
I just threw out rough numbers. If your clutch is out and you do this test, trust me you will know.
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by S197Miller

I just threw out rough numbers. If your clutch is out and you do this test, trust me you will know.
Yup, been there, twice. Rev matching & anger management avoid this.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
Yup, been there, twice. Rev matching & anger management avoid this.
Yea I rev match, still having a hard time with the anger management part lol. Hence the centerforce clutch that I will soon be installing haha
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Yea I rev match, still having a hard time with the anger management part lol. Hence the centerforce clutch that I will soon be installing haha
Lol, you picked a great clutch though!
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
S197Miller's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Yea I rev match, still having a hard time with the anger management part lol. Hence the centerforce clutch that I will soon be installing haha
You upgrading your flywheel too? And when you stage your clutch what all are you buying? Because American muscle has the expensive throwout bearing upgrade.
S197Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by S197Miller

You upgrading your flywheel too? And when you stage your clutch what all are you buying? Because American muscle has the expensive throwout bearing upgrade.
On the fence on the flywheel, since its so expensive. I haven't heard much good about the RAM TOB so I'm gonna stay stock. When you say stage the clutch I'm guessing you're referring to additional parts? If so, rear main seal, oil pan gasket (not related to the clutch job, mines just leaking), and the TOB assembly. That's in addition to the clutch kit naturally.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman
Lol, you picked a great clutch though!
Yea I'm excited to get it in. Mine was slippin at the track last night. Which does not make me happy lol
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom
Yea I'm excited to get it in. Mine was slippin at the track last night. Which does not make me happy lol
"Phil, don't drive angry." ha ha
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

On the fence on the flywheel, since its so expensive. I haven't heard much good about the RAM TOB so I'm gonna stay stock. When you say stage the clutch I'm guessing you're referring to additional parts? If so, rear main seal, oil pan gasket (not related to the clutch job, mines just leaking), and the TOB assembly. That's in addition to the clutch kit naturally.

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------



Yea I'm excited to get it in. Mine was slippin at the track last night. Which does not make me happy lol
Better get that HD TO bearing, your clutch won't last that long without it. And screw RAM if your going Centerforce they sell their own HD TOB
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNassty

Better get that HD TO bearing, your clutch won't last that long without it. And screw RAM if your going Centerforce they sell their own HD TOB
Hmm I couldn't find it. Do you maybe have a link?
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
McNassty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 600
http://m.summitracing.com/search/bra...owout-bearings
McNassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Signs of a bad clutch? FORDGT14 1996-2004 Mustang GT 17 06-27-2015 04:19 PM
'89 Nissan 240sx Clutch has me scratching my head. primer2tone General Car Discussion 16 07-03-2012 01:52 AM
Clutch, how can i prolong its life? the_stig 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 26 06-16-2012 08:58 PM
New guy with a clutch question Cajunick 1996-2004 Mustang GT 7 11-15-2011 12:32 PM
Clutch just went 04machazblue 1996-2004 Mustang GT 9 08-24-2011 06:41 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.