06 GT rad fluid question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

Region: Canada
Can the wrong type of coolant cause heating problems?
Dyllan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Do you have the yellow or orange in your radiator now? Whichever you have you should never mix them?

Use should be using the pre mix 50/50 "Do Not Add Water"
Old 10-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had this same question my 07 has like a gold color but i went to the auto parts store and prestone antifreeze says ok to mix with any make model any color 50/50 mix???
galindojr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by galindojr24 View Post
I had this same question my 07 has like a gold color but i went to the auto parts store and prestone antifreeze says ok to mix with any make model any color 50/50 mix???
I had a class yesterday on that,,it may have been a sales pitch ,,but ford says it doesnt matter if its the same color,,that you shouldnt mix at all..Now they did say that if you flush it all out completely,,then you ok to go with another brand,,
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I wouldn't mix different colors, it's a little more expensive but I'd stick with the ford coolant. I've heard some pretty nasty stories at work about engine cooling passages gelling up because of mixing different coolants. Unless the system is completely flushed
Koasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Peak has a 50/50 coolant that will work for most cars including Ford, it's also the same color as the OE coolant. I'm pretty sure they are also the OE supplier for Ford and is what is already in your vehicle.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah i put prestone 50/50 collant i was having trouble finding ford coolant but i was told you have to go to the dealership parts department to get there products?
galindojr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by galindojr24
Yeah i put prestone 50/50 collant i was having trouble finding ford coolant but i was told you have to go to the dealership parts department to get there products?
The Ford coolant along with all the other fluids are not made by Ford, if you go to Ford you will pay more for the same stuff you can get at any parts store.
Caster Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caster Troy View Post
Peak has a 50/50 coolant that will work for most cars including Ford, it's also the same color as the OE coolant. I'm pretty sure they are also the OE supplier for Ford and is what is already in your vehicle.
We use the same color too at work ,,but the class we had said even if its the same color its not the same brand..Its ok to go with another brand but dont mix brands even its the same color..Personally really havent had to much problems with the ford cars,,but the 6.0 diesels are having alot of problems with the egr coolers and oil cooler getting clogged and then overheating the cooler,,and then you replace the cooler and it does it again..The last one i done we flush it completely and use one type of coolant and so far havent had any problems,,just going by my experience i wouldnt mix brands,,its only a couple of gallons that last several 1000 miles so why chance it,,i know i wouldnt chance it on my mustang,,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT