freakins sensors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
freakins sensors

my car was throwing out a code for camshaft position sensor being bad I replaced both sensors and the crankshaft sensor but it is still showing the code for the same thing, everybody is saying it is probably the alternator but they are expensive. Should I just tke it to ford and have them scan it or should I just replace the alternator this thing is driving me freaking crazy.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
Code readers give you an idea of what's wrong. They don't specifically say what it is. The dealers scanner costs thousands of dollars I believe theirs will pinpoint the problem. Just depends what they charge to diagnose
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Clean the icv recently? Leak in the intake system, tear in a boot after the maf? (sorry, I don't know if the s197 has a icv, but my bimmer had a similar situation)
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
What's the exact wording of the code. If the sensor didn't fix it it could be wiring for the sensors but a more detailed description of the code would help
SSC182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You should go ahead and replace the alternator. By the time you spend your money on getting checked by ford or buying other misc items, it would be cheaper to replace alternator IMO.
Alonzo.dargan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo.dargan1 View Post
You should go ahead and replace the alternator. By the time you spend your money on getting checked by ford or buying other misc items, it would be cheaper to replace alternator IMO.
I amjust afraid to replace the altewrnator and have it not be the problem any ideas how much ford will charge me for the diosnostics?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not following why people are saying the alternator if the alt. were not putting out enough amperage then other systems in the car would be effected not just cam sensor. Like I said earlier it could very well be in the wiring going from the sensor to the PCM since you replaced the sensors already. If your unsure of how to test the cam sensors and their circuitry just take it to the dealership they will charge you an hours worth of labor which would be around 100 bucks. Yeah it's not cheap but it's cheaper than just throwing parts at a problem and hoping it fixes it then finding out it didn't work.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182 View Post
I'm not following why people are saying the alternator if the alt. were not putting out enough amperage then other systems in the car would be effected not just cam sensor. Like I said earlier it could very well be in the wiring going from the sensor to the PCM since you replaced the sensors already. If your unsure of how to test the cam sensors and their circuitry just take it to the dealership they will charge you an hours worth of labor which would be around 100 bucks. Yeah it's not cheap but it's cheaper than just throwing parts at a problem and hoping it fixes it then finding out it didn't work.
I agree I don't see how replacing the alt will fix it I have an appt. with ford in the morning for a diognostics that sounds safer to me instead of buying a 300 dollar alt and have it not fix anything. I can't afford to buy parts that are not going to fix anything I just got laid off from my job on friday so I have to be sure about what I buy.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well good luck keep us posted on what they say. I'm curious as I work for ford as to what there techs say
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well good luck keep us posted on what they say. I'm curious as I work for ford as to what there techs say
Thanks I will keep you posted I hope they find out it is something not to costly.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote:
What's the exact wording of the code. If the sensor didn't fix it it could be wiring for the sensors but a more detailed description of the code would help
the code reads camshaft position sensorA-bank1 circuit malfunction
Old 10-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
I think they are saying alternator based on similar probs they had with that code.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV

I amjust afraid to replace the altewrnator and have it not be the problem any ideas how much ford will charge me for the diosnostics?
If your not under warranty ford will of $400 min to see what the problem is. Luckily for me I have the SCT Livewire tuner, I looked up the code it said same thing your car was saying. I went to a mustang forum and asked for help and everybody said it was my alternator, so I replaced it and the code went away. You should listen to the advice about replacing your alternator. We're just throwing this helpful tip to other stang owners that had or have this code. Just trying to keep money in your pockets.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC182
If you would do some searching on this forum, there has been several topics on this code and it concluded to replacing the alternator and the problem was solved.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Reading some more old threads on here, the CPS is sensitive to magnetic fields. Maybe when the alternator is dying, it emmits more noise...?

More...The internal regulator could be faulty in the alternator causing the CPS to see an incorrect range of voltage to opperate.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Reading some more old threads on here, the CPS is sensitive to magnetic fields. Maybe when the alternator is dying, it emmits more noise...?
I dont hear anything unusual but the supercharger makes it hard to hear.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
If the internal voltage regulator is faulty, you wouldn't hear that. That could also mean you could rebuild the alternator rather than replacing it...?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Lorraine's driver

Regular

If you can confirm the alternator is your problem, you could go this route maybe, since you don't hear any bearing wear noises.

Alternator repair kit
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok I went to ford 89.95 for diognostic here is what they said it is caused by radio interference from the alternator going bad ,because I bought an extended warranty when I bought it it is costing me only 100.00 toreplace it and they have to remove the supercharger to get to it so I am saving 200.00 and my nuckles to have them do it,and I would like to sat to all of you who told me it was the alternator I am sorry for doubting you ,so anybody else having trouble with a camshaft position sensor code have the alternator checked.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #18
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Good news! Glad you got your ride going again.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

What code where u getting,

Thanks
Jayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If I remember correctly, the CPS CEL is P0340. At least that's the code that told me my CPS was bad and resulted in me changing the CPS's and the Alt if I remember correctly. OP, not trying to be a d!ck here, but I think you would've been better off doing it yourself and putting an aftermarket alt from PA Performance. Think it would've lasted a lot longer than Ford putting another OEM one in.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

We try not to steer people in the wrong direction. Congratz on getting your car fixed
Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

+1
Bennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjay View Post
What code where u getting,

Thanks
there were two codes po340 and po340p/d
Old 10-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
yea just glad to hear u got ur stang running ;D!!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Ok I went to ford 89.95 for diognostic here is what they said it is caused by radio interference from the alternator going bad ,because I bought an extended warranty when I bought it it is costing me only 100.00 toreplace it and they have to remove the supercharger to get to it so I am saving 200.00 and my nuckles to have them do it,and I would like to sat to all of you who told me it was the alternator I am sorry for doubting you ,so anybody else having trouble with a camshaft position sensor code have the alternator checked.
stuff!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT