Convert auto to manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Convert auto to manual

I have been thinking about converting my 06 auto trans to manual . Is it a lot of work and would I have to get a new transmission and new drive shaft . I know I would have to put a clutch in and new shifter what else would I have to do and what kind of numbers $am I looking at any help would be great thanks
Pattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It be alot cheaper to just buy a 5 speed v8 stang theres alot of work plus wiring harness issue so that ur car wont turn on when ur clutch is not push in dont do the swap buy a 5 speed already done it save u the headache
Stangv8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangv8ny
It be alot cheaper to just buy a 5 speed v8 stang theres alot of work plus wiring harness issue so that ur car wont turn on when ur clutch is not push in dont do the swap buy a 5 speed already done it save u the headache
What he said
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

+1 just buy a 5speed v8
813floridaracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's actually not that bad. I did the whole swap. The labor was done by a local speed shop. If you know how to shop around and go on different forums you can piece it together. basically, it costed me about 4500 with labor and parts. I bought the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, and pressure plate new. I also had to buy a new wiring harness which was about 120 bucks. Other than that the rest of the parts were lightly used with low miles. From a member on the s197forum I got the pedals, driveshaft, tranny, cross member, hurst shifter with boot, and a few other things I can't remember. The stock automatic driveshaft can be used with the manual tranny so technically u don't need another driveshaft. My mechanic didn't trust the other stock driveshaft. I have a write up of all the parts needed to do the swap that I could email you if you want.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23
It's actually not that bad. I did the whole swap. The labor was done by a local speed shop. If you know how to shop around and go on different forums you can piece it together. basically, it costed me about 4500 with labor and parts. I bought the clutch, slave cylinder, pilot bearing, and pressure plate new. I also had to buy a new wiring harness which was about 120 bucks. Other than that the rest of the parts were lightly used with low miles. From a member on the s197forum I got the pedals, driveshaft, tranny, cross member, hurst shifter with boot, and a few other things I can't remember. The stock automatic driveshaft can be used with the manual tranny so technically u don't need another driveshaft. My mechanic didn't trust the other stock driveshaft. I have a write up of all the parts needed to do the swap that I could email you if you want.
How much could you get for trading an 06 auto + $4,620 for an 07 or 08 5spd? I think you'd come out ahead and have no headaches.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ya thats true. But in my case didnt make sense. Cuz my car has a lot of mods and i didnt feel like demodding it then trading it in and then buying a mustang with a five speed and modding it again. If you have pretty much a stock mustang then ya it might be easier just to trade it in.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 10-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya thats true. But in my case didnt make sense. Cuz my car has a lot of mods and i didnt feel like demodding it then trading it in and then buying a mustang with a five speed and modding it again. If you have pretty much a stock mustang then ya it might be easier just to trade it in.
If you've still got the stock parts you could just get your car back to stock, trade for a 5-speed, then put the aftermarket stuff on the new car.
TheAdrianHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdrianHand

If you've still got the stock parts you could just get your car back to stock, trade for a 5-speed, then put the aftermarket stuff on the new car.
Yea that's true, but what if he had longtubes, cams, gears then it would cost money to take those parts off. But yea it's better to try to sell you're car and get a 5spd because it might be more money to do the whole swap and you always run into problems
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You know what it sounds like a lot maybe I will just get a rachet shifter lol thanks saved me a whole lot of waisted time .maybe I will trade it in for the 2013 .
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You could spend over 4,000 on mods for a v8 or v6 5 speed stang its not worth the headaches to do the swap
Stangv8ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Wouldn't de-modding take less time than a conversion to 5 speed? It's a huge project on a modern car. I think you love your car now, but really want it to be 5 speed. I can understand that.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyboy
You know what it sounds like a lot maybe I will just get a rachet shifter lol thanks saved me a whole lot of waisted time .maybe I will trade it in for the 2013 .
New 5.0s rip. saw one at the track with a blower and slicks run a 10.9. That's no bull****.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I always had manual but when I bought the 06 I thought of all the traffic I am in all the time so I went with the auto . I miss it a lot at times when there is no traffic . Lol maybe I will try the rachet shifter before I think about selling it . See if it makes me content
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
I always had manual but when I bought the 06 I thought of all the traffic I am in all the time so I went with the auto . I miss it a lot at times when there is no traffic . Lol maybe I will try the rachet shifter before I think about selling it . See if it makes me content
An better option would be the 6-speed swap from blow by racing. They use mt-82 transmission, which is the same thing that's in the 5.0
Alonzo.dargan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyboy View Post
I have been thinking about converting my 06 auto trans to manual . Is it a lot of work and would I have to get a new transmission and new drive shaft . I know I would have to put a clutch in and new shifter what else would I have to do and what kind of numbers $am I looking at any help would be great thanks
If you do let me know what you want for the auto,,I like to have one I can build to handle more power,,and just put in ,,then pull mine out and build it
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo.dargan1

An better option would be the 6-speed swap from blow by racing. They use mt-82 transmission, which is the same thing that's in the 5.0
The mt-82 doesn't work in an 05-09. That's for the new 5.0's. Blow by racing sells the tr-6060 conversion for our models and its a better tranny than the mt-82. I know people who hate the mt-82 and one of my friends has an 11 with an mt-82 and he can't wait until it goes out to upgrade it.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The mt-82 doesn't work in an 05-09. That's for the new 5.0's. Blow by racing sells the tr-6060 conversion for our models and its a better tranny than the mt-82. I know people who hate the mt-82 and one of my friends has an 11 with an mt-82 and he can't wait until it goes out to upgrade it.
Yea u just looked at it again, my mistake.... Does anyone has this setup? Looking at buying it, but I want to know how it runs in our cars.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea u just looked at it again, my mistake.... Does anyone has this setup? Looking at buying it, but I want to know how it runs in our cars.
It's a great tranny. Smooth precise shifts and can handle a good amount of power. I'm going to be upgrading to this in a few months.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know how much hp the stock auto Trany can handle
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does anyone know how much hp the stock auto Trany can handle
My friend back at home has 515hp on the stock tranny and he said its pulling great. Only thing he changed was the clutch.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My friend back at home has 515hp on the stock tranny and he said its pulling great. Only thing he changed was the clutch.
Ya I wouldn't take the tr-3650 much past that though or it will most likely break.

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 10-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ya I wouldn't take the tr-3650 much past that though or it will most likely break.
He is looking at upgrading the tranny internals
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I would just trade it in for a manual
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Ya trading it in might just be easier

340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Old 10-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I think I will stick to the auto I don't want to buy a preowned and I'm the 1 st owner on my can so I know it's well taken care of .not to change the subject of the tread but does anyone have a problem of the 06 to 09 hood lip rusting and bubbleing
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My 05 hood (same hood) had a bunch of it don't want to do much but power mods in the beginning but I may go for an aftermarket hood cuz of it
The Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Couple things u-all over looked. The swap for someone that works on cars is not difficult. Yes paying some shop to do it will cost about $4,000, but you have no headaches if you pick a good shop. Depending where you live the cost of buying a replacement car ( Tax's, Title fees, and if you buy from a dealer Doc fees ) can cost 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of the swap. Some states charge 7% just in tax. As far as the 3650, it is junk, I have seen a bunch of them break off the input shaft. I have seen stock mustangs running drag radials twist the input shaft. Yes , you can install the 26 spline 6060 input shaft, but upgrading the 3650 cost the same or more than buying a reman 6060.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #29
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2
Couple things u-all over looked. The swap for someone that works on cars is not difficult. Yes paying some shop to do it will cost about $4,000, but you have no headaches if you pick a good shop. Depending where you live the cost of buying a replacement car ( Tax's, Title fees, and if you buy from a dealer Doc fees ) can cost 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of the swap. Some states charge 7% just in tax. As far as the 3650, it is junk, I have seen a bunch of them break off the input shaft. I have seen stock mustangs running drag radials twist the input shaft. Yes , you can install the 26 spline 6060 input shaft, but upgrading the 3650 cost the same or more than buying a reman 6060.
Wow buddy you're on a pretty good roll tonight. There's nothing wrong with using a 3650 in a daily driver. There are countless mustangs at the track every week and only a small percentage experience such failures. I'm sure hell be fine, you little automotive wizard you.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
I think I will stick to the auto I don't want to buy a preowned and I'm the 1 st owner on my can so I know it's well taken care of .not to change the subject of the tread but does anyone have a problem of the 06 to 09 hood lip rusting and bubbleing
I had to have my hood repainted. The hood is aluminum and the seam didn't have any sealer on it before they painted it, causing it to bubble.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

After having it re painted did the bubbles ever return cause I looking to get it fixed but I don't want to re do the paint if it will just happen again . I want to avoid buying a new hood
Old 10-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
After having it re painted did the bubbles ever return cause I looking to get it fixed but I don't want to re do the paint if it will just happen again . I want to avoid buying a new hood
It's only been 3mon since I had it painted . I had them wire wheel it real good then put a sealer on it before they painted it.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Ok thanks than there is hope lol.i was convinced I had to get a new hood
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom View Post
Wow buddy you're on a pretty good roll tonight. There's nothing wrong with using a 3650 in a daily driver. There are countless mustangs at the track every week and only a small percentage experience such failures. I'm sure hell be fine, you little automotive wizard you.
No problem with the 3650 as a DD trans, and racing them. My statement was toward the guys that are having trouble or break them, and think it is feasible to upgrade them. Other that installing 6060 parts in them there isn't many aftermarket parts out there.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23 View Post
send me the email please!!! coreyherron17@gmail.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT