Rear Brake Caliper Issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
Rear Brake Caliper Issue

I am having an issue with my rear brake caliper. I can not install new pads due to the caliper not going in when i turn and push. I am even using the new specific tool, one of the shop guys tried as well...gave me a awkward look and just walked away. Anything?
jaymjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymjohnson
I am having an issue with my rear brake caliper. I can not install new pads due to the caliper not going in when i turn and push. I am even using the new specific tool, one of the shop guys tried as well...gave me a awkward look and just walked away. Anything?
That's not cool

Hmm so the rear piston won't release back into the caliper?

Have you tried some lubrication? is it rusted?

I'll help you bump this up!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Did you take the cap off the reservoir under the hood?
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Also are both sides giving you trouble?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

I tried taking the cap off of the reservoir in the engine compartment. and yes both sides are giving me issues! i was able to replace the front brakes but not the rear so far.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I tried taking the cap off of the reservoir in the engine compartment. and yes both sides are giving me issues! i was able to replace the front brakes but not the rear so far.
The rear caliper brake pistons on our stangs are twist in pistons. You can rent the special tool to rotate the piston at autozone for $60.00. Just tell them you need brake piston tool kit.
Alonzo.dargan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonzo.dargan1

The rear caliper brake pistons on our stangs are twist in pistons. You can rent the special tool to rotate the piston at autozone for $60.00. Just tell them you need brake piston tool kit.
I think he is using that.. He said special tool so I am assuming he's using that. If not then that will solve your problem.. But i think you are.

Hmm are turning it clockwise? And have you tried counter clockwise?

I'd try spraying them down with some cleaner real good. Cover and smother.. Try it again really give it some force..

If that doesn't work, from what I've read you have 2 options.

A: Open the bleeder valve and pray that works.
Or
B. Replace the calipers
Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
I think he is using that.. He said special tool so I am assuming he's using that. If not then that will solve your problem.. But i think you are.

Hmm are turning it clockwise? And have you tried counter clockwise?

I'd try spraying them down with some cleaner real good. Cover and smother.. Try it again really give it some force..

If that doesn't work, from what I've read you have 2 options.

A: Open the bleeder valve and pray that works.
Or
B. Replace the calipers
Yes, i am using the brake tool.

I will try this as soon as i can. If i end up having to replace the calipers i will probably upgrade all of my brakes at the same time. ughhhhh
Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I can not remember if you need to release the E-brake cable, before you screw it in. On some cars the piston will not screw in till you do that. If you tryed to press it in before you got the tool, you may have broken them, and will need to replace them with rebuilts. opening the bleaders will NOT help.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
I can not remember if you need to release the E-brake cable, before you screw it in. On some cars the piston will not screw in till you do that. If you tryed to press it in before you got the tool, you may have broken them, and will need to replace them with rebuilts. opening the bleaders will NOT help.
I remember the last time i tried i made sure i never set the e brake because i had the issue with my jeep. I will not be back in the states for a little while, so i will not be able to try again for a little bit.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_T2 View Post
Now that i think about it, the E-Brake would make really good sense since i am having issues with both sides.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #11
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

I remember the last time i tried i made sure i never set the e brake because i had the issue with my jeep. I will not be back in the states for a little while, so i will not be able to try again for a little bit.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

Now that i think about it, the E-Brake would make really good sense since i am having issues with both sides.
You don't have it engaged do you?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Looked in the book it says you shouldn't have to release the cable but make sure it is disengaged. But you may want to give it a shot before replacing the calipers.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I had the same problems and I went ahead and changed the calipers. You won't regret it!
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT