Misfire code - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Misfire code

Okay guys, so I sold my car a little while back and I don't have another Pony yet, but somehow I'm still on here all the time. Anyhow, the guy I sold the car to, called me because he's having an issue with it constantly throwing the code for cylinder 3 misfire. He said he's actually noticed it misfire twice, but the rest of the time it just throws the code. He's taken it to 2 different mechanics, had the tune checked out, changed all the plugs, put a new coil on, and nobody has been able to figure out what's going on. The only thing I could think of was the injector. Maybe it's dirty? I think my mods are still in my sig, and it's at about 60k miles. Anyone else have any ideas on what it could be? I'm just trying to help the guy out because I wasn't trying to sell him a piece of junk, and before I sold it, I had it running perfect... But he doesn't know that, and I don't like anyone thinking I ripped them off. Any ideas?
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
My 05 GT does this ALL the time! The only thing I have figured out to delay the Engine light coming on is to turn the key to start w/o starting it until the dinging noise stops then start it. I actually started it up right away today w/o waiting and low and behold the light came back on... only started this since I had the FRPP Cams installed.
MDoane44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Road Trip!

I occasionally get a random misfire code with the mutha thumprs. I just clear it. The car runs great so I don't sweat it. From what I understand the cams force the the engine to have a controlled misfire. If he's that worried I'd take it to lamotta
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well it's had the cams for about 15k miles, with no issues. And the reason he's worried about it, is because it comes on every time it gets driven. Plus, twice now the engine has actually misfired, bucked and lost power. He's in Greenville, SC so I'm not sure of the mechanics around there.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07
Well it's had the cams for about 15k miles, with no issues. And the reason he's worried about it, is because it comes on every time it gets driven. Plus, twice now the engine has actually misfired, bucked and lost power. He's in Greenville, SC so I'm not sure of the mechanics around there.
Ooooooo ok. Yea that's a problem. At least it's giving him a cylinder though. Since its already had a bubba parts throwing session I'd say it's time to find someone that really know these things. Def not a ford dealer
Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've been reading all over the Internet and people have suggested battery, alt, injector, coil, plug, wire, wiring to the ECM and on the old 5.0, UDP's. He's eliminated the coil and the plug, I think I'm going to offer to go help him pull the injector, battery and alt. I replaced the alt with a PA Performance ALT, but the battery is original, so maybe...?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
I've been reading all over the Internet and people have suggested battery, alt, injector, coil, plug, wire, wiring to the ECM and on the old 5.0, UDP's. He's eliminated the coil and the plug, I think I'm going to offer to go help him pull the injector, battery and alt. I replaced the alt with a PA Performance ALT, but the battery is original, so maybe...?
Dude IMO I think this is over our heads. This sounds like it requires advanced diagnostics to me. But yea I guess maybe check the battery. There's just too much expensive bs to start guessing.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Dude IMO I think this is over our heads. This sounds like it requires advanced diagnostics to me. But yea I guess maybe check the battery. There's just too much expensive bs to start guessing.
Yeah, kinda what I'm thinking. Closest good Mustang guy I know is Fastlane Motorsports in Benson NC, and that's a long ways away.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I bought and installed a MegaTron battery from Interstate Battery and it has only Misfired once since and so happens it was yesterday. Maybe that will help? idk
MDoane44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well he said today the Alt went out. I'm thinking that was the problem. It was a PA Performance alt from AM. Been on there for about 2 years and 25k miles or so. I had heard nothing but good things about PA, so now I don't know.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well he said today the Alt went out. I'm thinking that was the problem. It was a PA Performance alt from AM. Been on there for about 2 years and 25k miles or so. I had heard nothing but good things about PA, so now I don't know.
That's bs. Should last at least twice that long.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's bs. Should last at least twice that long.
No joke. Especially with the stock sound system and crap. But he put a new ALT in... And now, no codes or problems.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:

No joke. Especially with the stock sound system and crap. But he put a new ALT in... And now, no codes or problems.
Glad he got it resolved. Weird how battery and charging can have such an odd effect on drivability. When mine died I killed both simultaneously. Different stuff started shutting down systematically as I was driving home at night. Ended up making it to my shop with ZERO interior or exterior lights lol. Not even the dash was lit.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I have miss on four =( randomly..
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992
try swap a coil pack, test drive for awhile if not fixed try swap a plug and if it is the worst case scenario, like I had !! the motor will blow up within a day or two..
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtat

try swap a coil pack, test drive for awhile if not fixed try swap a plug and if it is the worst case scenario, like I had !! the motor will blow up within a day or two..
Wait..... Tell us more....... Lol
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Wait..... Tell us more....... Lol
about the first motor I scattered or the second one ?!?! all I can say is don't go buy a highly modified s197 with a custom tune that is soooo tight it can even go from a 2200' elevation to sea level with out blowing up apparently we have ALOT denser air on the island where I live... I will try friend some picks... all I can say is connecting rob #5 will be the first to let you know !!
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtat

about the first motor I scattered or the second one ?!?! all I can say is don't go buy a highly modified s197 with a custom tune that is soooo tight it can even go from a 2200' elevation to sea level with out blowing up apparently we have ALOT denser air on the island where I live... I will try friend some picks... all I can say is connecting rob #5 will be the first to let you know !!
Holy **** man. Mod motors are pretty tough too. Must have been a screamin *** tune. At my shop we swapped a motor in and expedition that the guy was driving for months that just seemed to have a slight miss but actually had a rod dangling out of the block lol. Just above the oil line lmao
Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992
I would check the Alt and battery first since that's free and easy, and the alt is what fixed the problem that started this thread. He's still running with no issues. After that I would check the coil, the plug, the tune, and then the injector. In that order. Just my .02 though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT