Huge loss in power - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Huge loss in power

Ok so last night coming home from work.. Driving 45 mph in a 55 tried to pass someone that was going too slow.. I almost had to back off. My car was acting like it was towing a house... I could NOT get it past 70mph without SLAMMING the gas to keep it from downshifting.. (When it shifts into 5th its useless" and its like its shifting into 5th before I'm even to 40mph damn autos!!! Tune issue? Or possibly something more serious?

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

I'm taking it by the shop Saturday to get a good checking over. I just wanted to throw this out there see if anyone had any ideas.

It's an 05 GT auto with 54k miles.

I'm thinking tune , catalytic converters , maybe trans issues who knows...

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Btw idk if this is relegated but its still havering MAJOR starting in the cold issues...

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Sounds like it needs tuned up. Or the tune itself has went haywire. With the starting issue, I'm leaning towards tune up.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4
Sounds like it needs tuned up. Or the tune itself has went haywire. With the starting issue, I'm leaning towards tune up.
Like new spark plugs n stuff? My dealership offered a "tune up" for cars around 60k miles for around $300-$400

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992

Like new spark plugs n stuff? My dealership offered a "tune up" for cars around 60k miles for around $300-$400
That's a good price at the dealer.

---------- Post added at 09:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Make sure they can't ream you if they break the plugs off tho. If they do and can, it'll get really expensive really fast .
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It sounds weird, but I would check the alt first. Seems like that goes bad around 50k, it goes slowly, and it causes all kinds of strange problems. If its not that, I'd look at plugs, coils, fuel filter, and then fuel pump. Its odd you didn't get a CEL with how sensitive these things are.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07
It sounds weird, but I would check the alt first. Seems like that goes bad around 50k, it goes slowly, and it causes all kinds of strange problems. If its not that, I'd look at plugs, coils, fuel filter, and then fuel pump. Its odd you didn't get a CEL with how sensitive these things are.
+1!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
New fuel pump. But yea no CEL at all. I'm sure it needs plugs/coils and a new alt wouldn't hurt but can theese things really cause power loss this bad?

Old 11-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

What does the tune up consist of? New plugs an what else ? I'm at 58k mines a 05 GT automatic will need a tune up soon
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator

What does the tune up consist of? New plugs an what else ? I'm at 58k mines a 05 GT automatic will need a tune up soon
I (think) they told me new plugs, oil change coolent flush some sort of transmission service? (Maybe fluid flush?) and new belts and such for the engine. Brake pads ect.. It was probably a year ago when they told me about it ill probably call and verify this weekend

Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

New fuel pump. But yea no CEL at all. I'm sure it needs plugs/coils and a new alt wouldn't hurt but can theese things really cause power loss this bad?
The Alt could def cause power loss. When the coils go out on an auto, usually you'll notice an occasional catch, it'll feel like the tranny is having problems. The plugs going... Probably not, but because of how sensitive these cars are, they act weird sometimes.

If the fuel filter is the original, def should do a new one of those.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The Alt could def cause power loss. When the coils go out on an auto, usually you'll notice an occasional catch, it'll feel like the tranny is having problems. The plugs going... Probably not, but because of how sensitive these cars are, they act weird sometimes.

If the fuel filter is the original, def should do a new one of those.
It's got a new fuel filter (2k miles)

That seriously sounds like my issues.. It does act weird and almost feels like it misses everyone in a wile. I should just order new plugs , coils And an alt. lol

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:

That seriously sounds like my issues.. It does act weird and almost feels like it misses everyone in a wile. I should just order new plugs , coils And an alt. lol
Well you can test the alternator with a volt-meter that would be the simplest way to go. Coils and plugs are well known to have issues on the 4.6L
Old 11-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I were you I'd just get the alt tested before you throw all that money at it. The coils are expensive. Like a hundred bucks and change apiece. Should do plugs though.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If I were you I'd just get the alt tested before you throw all that money at it. The coils are expensive. Like a hundred bucks and change apiece. Should do plugs though.
Alright ill take it by the dealer tomorrow and have them test it. I'm really hoping to get my power back. Still faster than a camaro tho ;D

Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Alternator would of been my first choice as well, mine has done that
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alright ill take it by the dealer tomorrow and have them test it. I'm really hoping to get my power back. Still faster than a camaro tho ;D
Orielys test for free.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting. Mines an 05 GT auto, at 60k just serviced and mine hasn't had an issue like that.
Thejustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

"having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out"!

Get an UGLY girlfriend, They ALWAYS put out and if she leaves you, You can ALWAYS find another ugly one and you won't be Heartbroken.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:40 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang
"having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out"!

Get an UGLY girlfriend, They ALWAYS put out and if she leaves you, You can ALWAYS find another ugly one and you won't be Heartbroken.
Your wise beyond your years. I prefer the cute fat ones myself, nothing like a prize winning show pig.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
So far your list looks like this:
Coils
Plugs
Throttle position sensor
Dirty MAF
Fuel pump known issue with air in lines
Fuel filter
Alternator
Show : black top| 18" bullitt polished wheels| CDC light bar and black billet replacement grilles | black/amber corner lights | GT500 rear spoiler| AH chin spoiler Go: FRPP CAI with StangHi tunes | Kooks LT's | FR500 axle back | Steeda Sport springs | Koni STR.t struts/shocks | J&M camber plates | UMI adj. panhard bar | LCA relocation brackets | GT500 LCA's | Hurst Billet shifter | 3.73 gear | FRPP axle girdle | Baer Rotors and Pads
GTRob504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRob504
So far your list looks like this:
Coils
Plugs
Throttle position sensor
Dirty MAF
Fuel pump known issue with air in lines
Fuel filter
Alternator
Thanks. I REALLY appreciate the help/info on this! Gives me a good place to start at least

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
It may be the alt. Mine went out on me one day, luckly i was pulling in to my drive way when it did and rolled into the garage. I had hardle any power and ever light in my car was out. Couldnt see any dash lights, no odometer. My radio had no light either. And my turn signals wouldnt work. Checked it and it was the alt. Our s197 have bad alternators. I got the PA performance from AM it works great!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks. I REALLY appreciate the help/info on this! Gives me a good place to start at least
Well, you've had all weekend. We expect updates on this crap. Otherwise, we lie awake at night wondering if you fixed your car. You don't want that on your conscience do you?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well, you've had all weekend. We expect updates on this crap. Otherwise, we lie awake at night wondering if you fixed your car. You don't want that on your conscience do you?
+1
Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It's at the dealer now. Haven't heard from them yet they are closed on Sunday. Hope they call tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

Quote:

It's at the dealer now. Haven't heard from them yet they are closed on Sunday. Hope they call tomorrow.
I dropped it off Saturday evening ill go by on my lunch tomorrow and see if they found anything

Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hope all is good.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #27
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Your wise beyond your years. I prefer the cute fat ones myself, nothing like a prize winning show pig.
that's funny
Old 11-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

They still haven't got to it yet they are super busy. They usually have to keep stuff for 4-5 days but they are by far 100% the best shop around and I'd rather wait for good work from someone I trust. Sucks tho

Old 11-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They still haven't got to it yet they are super busy. They usually have to keep stuff for 4-5 days but they are by far 100% the best shop around and I'd rather wait for good work from someone I trust. Sucks tho
patience is a virtue
Old 11-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #30
Road Trip!

Quote:
Ok so last night coming home from work.. Driving 45 mph in a 55 tried to pass someone that was going too slow.. I almost had to back off. My car was acting like it was towing a house... I could NOT get it past 70mph without SLAMMING the gas to keep it from downshifting.. (When it shifts into 5th its useless" and its like its shifting into 5th before I'm even to 40mph damn autos!!! Tune issue? Or possibly something more serious?

---------- Post added at 07:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

I'm taking it by the shop Saturday to get a good checking over. I just wanted to throw this out there see if anyone had any ideas.

It's an 05 GT auto with 54k miles.

I'm thinking tune , catalytic converters , maybe trans issues who knows...

---------- Post added at 07:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Btw idk if this is relegated but its still havering MAJOR starting in the cold issues...
What do you mean starting issues
Andy714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgill1992 View Post
Unless its the plugs that break,,I heard people paying alot for a tune up due to that,,Which I cant stand because the tool to get them out takes only a few more minutes,,Usually a couple will break off..I used to charge 100 on the side to do them,,even when they break
Old 11-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymustang

Unless its the plugs that break,,I heard people paying alot for a tune up due to that,,Which I cant stand because the tool to get them out takes only a few more minutes,,Usually a couple will break off..I used to charge 100 on the side to do them,,even when they break
They said the alt is bad and its probably time for new plugs / coils (56k miles)

Old 11-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:

They said the alt is bad and its probably time for new plugs / coils (56k miles)
You made it further than me! I had to replace that crappy alt at 45k!
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake

You made it further than me! I had to replace that crappy alt at 45k!
I had to replace mine at 62k.
Alonzo.dargan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Is it worth it to get the bigger alt from AM? Is just get an OEM replacment? And what plugs and coils are recommended?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT