Need advice on exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #1

Region: Missouri
Need advice on exhaust

I just purchased a pristine 2008 GT Convertible and need some advice on what exhaust system is the best to give it some deeper growl. I've read about Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Borla. Any recommendations? I want something mid tone and not crazy loud but deeper than stock.

Thanks!
Pavstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Flowmaster Hushpower axleback they sound great they are not crazy loud but have a nice deep rumble to them very daily driver friendly. I get lots of comments on how good my GT sounds with these Flowmasters here is a link Hushpower

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
stemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar
Flowmaster Hushpower axleback they sound great they are not crazy loud but have a nice deep rumble to them very daily driver friendly. I get lots of comments on how good my GT sounds with these Flowmasters here is a link Hushpower
Thanks I will check it out. What year is your GT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstang View Post
Thanks I will check it out. What year is your GT?
Its an 09

Pypes shorties, BBK catted X, Flowmaster Pro's, K&N CAI, FRPP- P springs, Steeda UCA, J&M Panhard bar, Hurst Comp plus, FR500 Wheels W/NITTO's , SCT SF3 W/BAMA 93 Race tune, Pioneer TS-D6802R speakers, chin spoiler, Eleanor style grill, GT500 rear spoiler
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm in love with my SLP's, for about $400 you get a nice aggressive sound but not obnoxious ... I plan to go obnoxious when she's paid for though lol
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement
I'm in love with my SLP's, for about $400 you get a nice aggressive sound but not obnoxious ... I plan to go obnoxious when she's paid for though lol
Your gonna need headers for that. IMO headers is the best mod you can make.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #7

What do the headers add to it? sorry for the dumb questions just getting started.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I recommend the Roush axlebacks if you're not looking to go too loud. I've had them on my 2005 convertible GT and love love LOVE to hear em growl with the top down!
roushcoyotepony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavstang
What do the headers add to it? sorry for the dumb questions just getting started.
Adds prob 15-25 HP. The sound increase is hard for me to explain, other than wicked.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

Adds prob 15-25 HP. The sound increase is hard for me to explain, other than wicked.
It will be my first mod from now on.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Power son, they add power lol. And lots of delicious ear vagina haha
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

You have a way with words, my thoughts exactly.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

+1000

They are worth the money and if you ever do cams or heads then youll really see the benefit from the headers.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by roushcoyotepony View Post
I recommend the Roush axlebacks if you're not looking to go too loud. I've had them on my 2005 convertible GT and love love LOVE to hear em growl with the top down!
I've got the Roush on my 2011 GT and it's just amazing, I don't even turn the radio on, I just like listening to it as i drive. This is the way every true American Muscle car should sound. It's aggressive and sexy. I love how my car sounds.
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

You have a way with words, my thoughts exactly.
Lol thanks. Put my CMDPs on last night. Very noticeable difference. Bolt ons complete lol
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Think of your engine like a big air pump it sucks and blows. It sucks cold air in and blows hot exhaust out freeing up the restrictions at eather end makes it very HAPPY !!! exhaust restrictions are like being constapatted headers are like X-lax they let everything the engine sucks in flow out freely

Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #16

Well said. Good explanation. So putting on an after market exhaust without the headers and CAI might not be worth it right?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
Road Trip!

Quote:
Well said. Good explanation. So putting on an after market exhaust without the headers and CAI might not be worth it right?
Axelbacks have different sounds with otherwise stock exhaust. After you have full offroad exhaust, all the axelbacks sound less distinct. But you'll gain nothing performance wise with just axelbacks
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The single biggest restriction on our stock exhaust system is the stock cats installing headers without removing or replacing them your gains will be minimal. A good rule of thumb is to start at the biggest clog and work your way back. You can go 1 of three ways in regards to getting rid of the stock cats (1) install an O/R X or H pipe and get rid of the cats all together (2) install a new X or H pipe with HI Flow cats or (3) and my preferred option install a new X pipe that uses 2 3/4" pipe with Hi flow cats instead of std. 2 1/2 pipe bigger pipe means better flow if you need to keep cats on your car for emissions then lesson the restriction with bigger pipe. I started at the wrong end so to speak like most and did an axle back first because I wanted my GT to sound like a Mustang should!!! Headers would be the last part of the exhaust system I would change unless you plan on installing cams , Heads ect. down the line Im not sure the cost and lobor involved in installing headers is worth the cost or effort for a DD N/A car unless your looking to get every last HP you can out of your car but this is just my 2 cents Im sure there are alot of guys out there that will disagree

Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemar
The single biggest restriction on our stock exhaust system are the stock cats
Yea if possible, you want to get rid of them all together. Cats suck. Stupid hippies lol
Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Axlebacks make the car sound much better all by there self. But if you do go to headers later, you'll probably wish you had a chambered muffler. Just something to keep in mind when ordering. If you never plan on doing headers, a muffler delete type axle back is the way to go. If putting headers on later, a chambered type is what you want.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Quote:

Yea if possible, you want to get rid of them all together. Cats suck. Stupid hippies lol
You can't blame the hippies, the freedoms you enjoy now are because of them.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the flowmaster american thunder on mine. I like how it sounds, not to loud and it has a nice deep tone to it.
C_Dailey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

Axlebacks make the car sound much better all by there self. But if you do go to headers later, you'll probably wish you had a chambered muffler. Just something to keep in mind when ordering. If you never plan on doing headers, a muffler delete type axle back is the way to go. If putting headers on later, a chambered type is what you want.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

You can't blame the hippies, the freedoms you enjoy now are because of them.
They still smell really bad. I could go on lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust