Should I be afraid of drag radials... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Should I be afraid of drag radials...

So I'm curious. I have full bolt ons, cams, and 410s. How hard is it to break when launching on drag radials? I'd love to be able to launch violently on some sticky tires but my car has 82k and its my DD. I really don't want to pop a tranny or rear end. Unleash the knowledge please.
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stringy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Nevada
Posts: 45
I'm in a similar situation. Please answer this man question!!!
Stringy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
It's hit or miss if you want to leave like you are implying.
You can hook and get good times without dumping the clutch at 6k (although it is more fun that way).
Part of racing and modding things is breaking parts.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn
It's hit or miss if you want to leave like you are implying.
You can hook and get good times without dumping the clutch at 6k (although it is more fun that way).
Part of racing and modding things is breaking parts.
Yea I really wanna bang a wheelie. Or at least pick the drivers tire up. I guess that'll have to wait a year or so lol. But yea I'm comfortable with the breaking part. It's just that after the end of this year I wanna save up to buy a house so I'm gonna put the brakes on the mods. Street tires it is for now then
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
BenGT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom
So I'm curious. I have full bolt ons, cams, and 410s. How hard is it to break when launching on drag radials? I'd love to be able to launch violently on some sticky tires but my car has 82k and its my DD. I really don't want to pop a tranny or rear end. Unleash the knowledge please.
If you had a set of stones, you would just try it 12-15 times and let us know how it goes.

No seriously, I have no idea.
__________________
In the market for a Fox body...
SOLD: 2007 Performance white GT Premium.
Performance: Eibach lowering kit, SVT wheels, Steeda Camber Casters, Steeda short throw, FRPP 4.10's, Airraid CAI, BBK 62mm TB, Brenspeed Detroit Rockers, Pypes Longtubes with O/R H and Violators.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGT07

If you had a set of stones, you would just try it 12-15 times and let us know how it goes.

No seriously, I have no idea.
Less about the stones, more about the bones lol
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Yea I really wanna bang a wheelie. Or at least pick the drivers tire up. I guess that'll have to wait a year or so lol. But yea I'm comfortable with the breaking part. It's just that after the end of this year I wanna save up to buy a house so I'm gonna put the brakes on the mods. Street tires it is for now then
Bias ply tire would be your friend. Softer sidewall absorbs more shock.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pierson
Region: Florida
Posts: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

Bias ply tire would be your friend. Softer sidewall absorbs more shock.
Tell me more. I'm planning on getting some 15s this Xmas and running cooper cobras for daily driving.
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
BCS06GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: College Station
Region: Texas
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Less about the stones, more about the bones lol
Haha x100
BCS06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Tell me more. I'm planning on getting some 15s this Xmas and running cooper cobras for daily driving.
DRs are good for auto cause the drivetrain is preloaded, slicks are better for stick cause the softer sidewall
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Silversky545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,627
I would not try hard launches on a dd ... I'm not even taking my car to a track until I have a daily... Not worth the scolding from my wife when I have the car towed home lol
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
I never broke anything on my 02 gt with 4.10 and full bolt ons. Launched at 2500 and got a 13.2
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Silversky545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,627
An 02 gt w bolt ons is as fast as a 95 crown Vic not a comparable comparison

Lol Jk
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
An 02 gt w bolt ons is as fast as a 95 crown Vic not a comparable comparison

Lol Jk
Lol I'm more of a auto cross guy than a drag guy
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Silversky545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,627
I'm looking to road race ... Corners separate men from boys .... I want to try auto cross but w my A-d-d I think I'd make up my own track out of the cones everywhere .... How in the world can anyone tell what is a lane and what's not
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
I'm looking to road race ... Corners separate men from boys .... I want to try auto cross but w my A-d-d I think I'd make up my own track out of the cones everywhere .... How in the world can anyone tell what is a lane and what's not
It's really not that hard...
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
I'm looking to road race ... Corners separate men from boys .... I want to try auto cross but w my A-d-d I think I'd make up my own track out of the cones everywhere .... How in the world can anyone tell what is a lane and what's not
Nice. I focused most of my mods on tires and suspenion because that's what I like to do. Lol it's confusing the first time but after you're first run its easy. This is my fav run I did
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Silversky545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,627
Yea.... I would totally run through lanes ... Ill wait to try my skills on a track where I see road... Grass ok stay on road lol
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545
Yea.... I would totally run through lanes ... Ill wait to try my skills on a track where I see road... Grass ok stay on road lol
If its your first time do a few walk throughs and ride with a few different experienced drivers. You can figure out the course as well as the most efficient lines to take.

If you screw up and miss a turn the worst thing you do is take out a few cones, just don't drag them through the rest of the course.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Eturner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Michigan
Posts: 3,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

If its your first time do a few walk throughs and ride with a few different experienced drivers. You can figure out the course as well as the most efficient lines to take.

If you screw up and miss a turn the worst thing you do is take out a few cones, just don't drag them through the rest of the course.
+11
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
I've run drag radials on mine for years love em. Its a stick car and they hook great. Go for it
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
black9D5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
It's hit or miss if you want to leave like you are implying.
You can hook and get good times without dumping the clutch at 6k (although it is more fun that way).
Part of racing and modding things is breaking parts.
Breaking it so you can build it stronger and add more power and break more ****!! Lol
black9D5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Alabama
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
If its your first time do a few walk throughs and ride with a few different experienced drivers. You can figure out the course as well as the most efficient lines to take.

If you screw up and miss a turn the worst thing you do is take out a few cones, just don't drag them through the rest of the course.
+1
DallasVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:02 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.