Stock crank - How much HP can it handle? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Stock crank - How much HP can it handle?

How much hp can the stock 3v handle? I plan on putting 650-675 down from the motor.
Claypops is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
These cranks rarely fail. Normally the rods stretch and let go. But if you think you want to put down that much power, start shopping for a different block. The stock short block won't take that for very long. If you think otherwise, stand back and grab some speedidry, a broom, and a bucket.
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom
These cranks rarely fail. Normally the rods stretch and let go. But if you think you want to put down that much power, start shopping for a different block. The stock short block won't take that for very long. If you think otherwise, stand back and grab some speedidry, a broom, and a bucket.
Haha alright thanks. I'm swapping my v6 for a 4.6 but ya I might look at a new block. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypops

Haha alright thanks. I'm swapping my v6 for a 4.6 but ya I might look at a new block. Thanks for the help
Ahh that's cool man. Might wanna look at the windsor block, it's the iron one like in the terminators. Stock 3vs are Romeo blocks (aluminum). I'm not sure how interchangeable all the parts are among the mod motors. Might be worth looking in to. But I'd let your engine builder make all those decisions.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Ahh that's cool man. Might wanna look at the windsor block, it's the iron one like in the terminators. Stock 3vs are Romeo blocks (aluminum). I'm not sure how interchangeable all the parts are among the mod motors. Might be worth looking in to. But I'd let your engine builder make all those decisions.
I hear that they are aluminum but it really looks like an iron block. Why is that? And ya I've looked at some tedskid blocks. I mean it's sitting in my Garage and look at it so maybe I just don't know?..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:

I hear that they are aluminum but it really looks like an iron block. Why is that? And ya I've looked at some tedskid blocks. I mean it's sitting in my Garage and look at it so maybe I just don't know?..
Well other than the obvious difference in the appearance of the two metals, the iron blocks have a big "w" on the drivers side of the block.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Alright man ill have to look.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom View Post

Well other than the obvious difference in the appearance of the two metals, the iron blocks have a big "w" on the drivers side of the block.
You mean this w?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2408060511.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	78748  
Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

There's a 6.2 from a f 250 on eBay it should be a mean swap
Burkeys96GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypops View Post

You mean this w?
Hmmm never seen that one. What I'm talking about is in the actual casting. But that's definitely iron
Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom View Post

Hmmm never seen that one. What I'm talking about is in the actual casting. But that's definitely iron
Ya I researched it. And you can get one but it's almost like buying a gt and a gt/cs. Certain gts have them
Old 12-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Get this

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-914254442.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	78770
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversky545 View Post
Get this
Haha ya right! I wish.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The stock motor can handle up to 450 RWHP. You wont get up to 650-675 HP without a forged block, a stronger tranny, and an upgraded fuel system. Cost wouldnt be an issue would it? That's the only thing stopping me, my final goal is over 600+ HP as well.

Upcoming: GT500 Supercharger (Department of Boost), 19" Koko Kuture Sardinia-5 Wheels, etc.
GT Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Gone View Post
The stock motor can handle up to 450 RWHP. You wont get up to 650-675 HP without a forged block, a stronger tranny, and an upgraded fuel system. Cost wouldnt be an issue would it? That's the only thing stopping me, my final goal is over 600+ HP as well.
No money isn't an issue. I'm saving up piece by piece. I know it's goin to take me a long time but it'll be worth it. And ya I'm upgrading all that. I have the heads and block Being machined already. New springs and the block is getting board 20 over. And ya prob e85. I just need to know if I NEED a new crank with forged pistons and rods
Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

No money isn't an issue. I'm saving up piece by piece. I know it's goin to take me a long time but it'll be worth it. And ya I'm upgrading all that. I have the heads and block Being machined already. New springs and the block is getting board 20 over. And ya prob e85. I just need to know if I NEED a new crank with forged pistons and rods
If you plan on making that level of power you need a forged rotating assembly for sure. I also recommend full arp2000 hardware and arp head studs. As for the block I think you should be ok with the stock One but I wouldn't push it past 650hp. It would be a wise investment to get a stronger block. If you could be happy with 550 hp you're good to go.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

If you plan on making that level of power you need a forged rotating assembly for sure. I also recommend full arp2000 hardware and arp head studs. As for the block I think you should be ok with the stock One but I wouldn't push it past 650hp. It would be a wise investment to get a stronger block. If you could be happy with 550 hp you're good to go.
Ok I'll look into those studs man thanks. And this is a dd so 650 will be plenty! I looked at a tekskid block but mine will work.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
-your block is fine !
-connecting rods are a MUST
-pistons are a MUST
-your crank will be ok... if your on a budget but is a wise 6-7-$800 insurance, but seriously when was the last time a crank walked in a block ?!?!
-ARP2000 bolts
and cometic head gaskets
and hardened spark plug threads, seen a few spark plugs strip/pop right out of the head on the dyno, not to mention any names (patriot) lol
anyways there is my 3:25 am drunken knowledge as I have what appears to be what ppl dream of in a s197
and and and I DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT !!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K_QJ...ure=plcp<br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWfvYVYlfio&feature=plcp
Sirtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I know this is on another forum, but I thought you might like to see a thread I made since your goal is 600+ HP. (What does it take to make 600+ HP on an 08 GT? - Ford Mustang Forums) A good bit of people making over 600 HP chimed in about their experiences.

I should've reprhased it, your motor completely stock can handle up to 450 RWHP but like DaBluedude said, it's the rotating assembly that should be beefed up before you start pushing over 500+ HP.. Learned that last week actually. Rods are an absolute must like already stated, here's a bit more info about the pistons and rods.

"Con rods break (450 to 500 hp): The stock powdered-metal connecting rods are generally the three-valve motor's weakest link. Burcham has seen random failures of stock rods as low as 450 hp; "500hp and higher for an extended time period will definitely break them."
Pistons disintegrate (detonation): Although not that strong, as a rule, the stock hypereutectic pistons outlast the rods. But if there's even slight detonation, the pistons can shatter into hundreds of pieces. Replace the weak stockers with quality aftermarket forged pistons."

Good luck with this build Claypops! And agreed, it will be worth it over time.

Upcoming: GT500 Supercharger (Department of Boost), 19" Koko Kuture Sardinia-5 Wheels, etc.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know this is on another forum, but I thought you might like to see a thread I made since your goal is 600+ HP. (What does it take to make 600+ HP on an 08 GT? - Ford Mustang Forums) A good bit of people making over 600 HP chimed in about their experiences.

I should've reprhased it, your motor completely stock can handle up to 450 RWHP but like DaBluedude said, it's the rotating assembly that should be beefed up before you start pushing over 500+ HP.. Learned that last week actually. Rods are an absolute must like already stated, here's a bit more info about the pistons and rods.

"Con rods break (450 to 500 hp): The stock powdered-metal connecting rods are generally the three-valve motor's weakest link. Burcham has seen random failures of stock rods as low as 450 hp; "500hp and higher for an extended time period will definitely break them."
Pistons disintegrate (detonation): Although not that strong, as a rule, the stock hypereutectic pistons outlast the rods. But if there's even slight detonation, the pistons can shatter into hundreds of pieces. Replace the weak stockers with quality aftermarket forged pistons."

Good luck with this build Claypops! And agreed, it will be worth it over time.
Oh awesome! But it still didn't say anything about the crank? But I will look at that thread. Thanks for the help. It's going to come in handy. The hardest thing with the swap from a v6 to v8 is i have to replace everything! You building yours?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

One of the guys on the thread told me the 3V motor can make over 1000+ HP.

Well, I'm going to do the DoB setup and strap on a GT500 Supercharger and stick to 450 RWHP. During that time I'm going to max out my suspension, reduce my weight, get a heat exchanger, etc. And then when I blow my motor, I'm gonna put in a GT500 motor. I wanted to do the Terminator Cobra motor (my dream car), but it'd be far more complicating.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
One of the guys on the thread told me the 3V motor can make over 1000+ HP.

Well, I'm going to do the DoB setup and strap on a GT500 Supercharger and stick to 450 RWHP. During that time I'm going to max out my suspension, reduce my weight, get a heat exchanger, etc. And then when I blow my motor, I'm gonna put in a GT500 motor. I wanted to do the Terminator Cobra motor (my dream car), but it'd be far more complicating.
That's awesome. I'm going more turbo cause its a little more effective and I'm not taking anything out. I mean still, 450 is a lot for a dd
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Indeed! And with a good set of tires, weight reduction, weight distribution and suspension modding, I'll be fine with 450 RWHP.

I was thinking turbo all of last week. I mean, they make massive amounts of power, make more HP on the stock motor, and it doesnt rob power from the engine like a supercharger, but if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that turbos make it too difficult to stay in a straight line. I was conflicted between what to further pursue until I saw this video. I'll go supercharger. One Mustang owner told me that his Mustang was bought as a straight line performance car and now it has the performance, but it cant stay in a straight line. xD

To be fair, it is a foxbody rather than an S197, but that's 575 HP (so he says)!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Indeed! And with a good set of tires, weight reduction, weight distribution and suspension modding, I'll be fine with 450 RWHP.

I was thinking turbo all of last week. I mean, they make massive amounts of power, make more HP on the stock motor, and it doesnt rob power from the engine like a supercharger, but if there's one thing I've noticed, it's that turbos make it too difficult to stay in a straight line. I was conflicted between what to further pursue until I saw this video. I'll go supercharger. One Mustang owner told me that his Mustang was bought as a straight line performance car and now it has the performance, but it cant stay in a straight line. xD

To be fair, it is a foxbody rather than an S197, but that's 575 HP (so he says)!
Really? Wow. Why not go procharger?
Old 12-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Eh, I'm more of a Roots/Twin Screw guy. I'd rather a twin screw but I'm going with a roots because the GT500 supercharger setup (for everything) is half as much as a Whipple and it'll get me to my HP goals (the stock GT500 S/C can handle up to 600+ RWHP so I'm fine with that). Centrifugals are nice but.. The whine and the instant torque are a must if I'm going S/C.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT