Throttle Issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2009 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
gmcmanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
gmcmanus is unknown around these parts
Throttle Issue

Hello Everyone, Mustang Evolution Newbie...

I have had a throttle issue a few times and I don't believe it is necessarily tune related. I run a Steeda 93 Tune for Daily Driving and a AM Bama 93 Hybrid Race Tune for Spirited Occasions (Mountain Driving, Racing, Getting Groceries Really FAST)...

This issue occurs when I am Cruising at say 60MPH in 5TH Gear, press the clutch and drop to 3RD Gear, then Abruptly go from Closed Throttle to WOT. The car sometimes will hesitate and then kick in strong, and a few times it has went into "Limp Home Mode" and will throw the amber wrench light...Once turned off and restarted, the wrench will be gone and the car will be perfectly normal.

This isn't that big of a deal but on rare occassions when I shift quickly to pass a car or something of that nature, it would be nice to not have this happen.

Any Ideas? Help or Suggestions Much Appreciated.
__________________

__________________
gmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,790
tc x 4 is unknown around these parts
I believe the wrench means throttle position sensor.
__________________

__________________
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,105
Tyoung68 is unknown around these parts
Yeah sounds like the sensor is not telling your car that your stepping on it on not throwing enough fuel in
__________________
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
galindojr24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 193
galindojr24 is unknown around these parts
Have you tried cleaning your throttle body? Taking the intake off? There might be gunk in there...

---------- Post added at 04:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 AM ----------

Or yeah take that back it probbley be your TPS
__________________
galindojr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Silversky545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,627
Silversky545 is unknown around these parts
Stock tb?
__________________
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
gmcmanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
gmcmanus is unknown around these parts
Thank You for the Replies, the TB is Stock and is very clean - I clean it seriously every 3 months as I've heard that the TB being dirty is the #1 source of a poor running S197. I have also cleaned the MAF within the last week.

I sent an email to AM to see if they could review the tune and let me know if anything seems out of place, but it is unfortunately not specific to just their tune... The 93 Steeda Tune does the same thing, but it has not actually gone into Limp Home Mode, only the severe hesitation... Only the Hybrid Tune has thrown a wrench.
__________________
gmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Silversky545's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,627
Silversky545 is unknown around these parts
I've had a ton of tb issues but it was due to a BBK tb ... If its stock an you don't have a loose cai arm then it has to be a tune issue... Good luck on fixing the problem ... AM will take care of you
__________________
Silversky545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,790
tc x 4 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmanus
Thank You for the Replies, the TB is Stock and is very clean - I clean it seriously every 3 months as I've heard that the TB being dirty is the #1 source of a poor running S197. I have also cleaned the MAF within the last week.

I sent an email to AM to see if they could review the tune and let me know if anything seems out of place, but it is unfortunately not specific to just their tune... The 93 Steeda Tune does the same thing, but it has not actually gone into Limp Home Mode, only the severe hesitation... Only the Hybrid Tune has thrown a wrench.
My truck did same thing, would hardly run 5mph and was throwing the wrench code.......TPS was the fix
__________________
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #9
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMShaneLesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
AMShaneLesky is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmanus View Post
Thank You for the Replies, the TB is Stock and is very clean - I clean it seriously every 3 months as I've heard that the TB being dirty is the #1 source of a poor running S197. I have also cleaned the MAF within the last week.

I sent an email to AM to see if they could review the tune and let me know if anything seems out of place, but it is unfortunately not specific to just their tune... The 93 Steeda Tune does the same thing, but it has not actually gone into Limp Home Mode, only the severe hesitation... Only the Hybrid Tune has thrown a wrench.

gmcmanus,

Considering you have deep hesitations on both your Bama and Steeda tune, it makes me believe there is some kind of mechanical issue. Especially, considering both Bama and Steeda are known for having excellent throttle response with our tunes.

I see that you've thoroughly cleaned your TB and recently cleaned the MAF. This is good because we can eliminate that out the equation for being dirty. However, since you're throwing a TPS light and you've having lots of hesitation, it sounds like the TPS sensor is faulty or "bad" and needs to be replaced. You can always drop the car off at a shop to have the TPS sensor check and confirm this, too.

I hope this helps, let me know if there's anything else I can do!

Shane
__________________
Shane Lesky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
gmcmanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
gmcmanus is unknown around these parts
Thanks Shane! This issue is sporadic and I will definitely look into replacing the TPS. I appreciate your help recently!
__________________
gmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMShaneLesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
AMShaneLesky is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmanus View Post
Thanks Shane! This issue is sporadic and I will definitely look into replacing the TPS. I appreciate your help recently!
My pleasure. I'm always here to help any way I can, so keep me updated on your issue!

Again, the fact that it's a sporadic issue definitely makes me think something is up with the TPS. Hopefully that assumption is accurate and you can get your Mustang running strong again.

Shane
__________________
Shane Lesky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

My pleasure. I'm always here to help any way I can, so keep me updated on your issue!

Again, the fact that it's a sporadic issue definitely makes me think something is up with the TPS. Hopefully that assumption is accurate and you can get your Mustang running strong again.

Shane
Not so fast American Muscle Shane.. 8 months ago, same problem with BAMA tunes. At 40+ MPH my throttle response was SO delayed. AM said TPS blah blah. Went to a shop, they said the TPS was new from the previous owner. Got a Dyno tune and my throttle response is crazy fast at any mph! Not to burst your bubble or anything.. Just saying haha and I also gained 14.something RWHP too so that's cool too.
__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 916
Stang23 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post

Not so fast American Muscle Shane.. 8 months ago, same problem with BAMA tunes. At 40+ MPH my throttle response was SO delayed. AM said TPS blah blah. Went to a shop, they said the TPS was new from the previous owner. Got a Dyno tune and my throttle response is crazy fast at any mph! Not to burst your bubble or anything.. Just saying haha and I also gained 14.something RWHP too so that's cool too.
Ya well a dyno tune is always going to have the advantage over an email tune where it covers a million other cars that have the same bolt ons instead a of a tune that is specially set up for your car and the conditions whether hot or cold out etc. Every car is different and how they react.
__________________
Full Exhaust, Full Bolt Ons, Full Suspension and Much More..

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23

Ya well a dyno tune is always going to have the advantage over an email tune where it covers a million other cars that have the same bolt ons instead a of a tune that is specially set up for your car and the conditions whether hot or cold out etc. Every car is different and how they react.
Okay
__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 510
muscledom is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post

Okay
You're 20 right
__________________
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

You're 20 right
Yessir I is
__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 510
muscledom is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post

Yessir I is
Ok, that explains everything lol.
__________________
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Ok, that explains everything lol.
Why do you say that exactly?
__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 510
muscledom is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post

Why do you say that exactly?
Your posts give away your age lol. I was there not too long ago, hard headed as a mother ****er haha
__________________
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Lol? Idk how to take that. I just try to attach a lot of emotion to my posts..
__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 510
muscledom is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post
Lol? Idk how to take that. I just try to attach a lot of emotion to my posts..
Mission accomplished lol. It'll last for at least the next four years, maybe a lifetime. Trust me haha
__________________
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

Mission accomplished lol. It'll last for at least the next four years, maybe a lifetime. Trust me haha
How did you know I was 20? That's freaked me out
__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
tc x 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,790
tc x 4 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992

How did you know I was 20? That's freaked me out
Uhummm 1992 ring a bell ? Some of us can do the math.
__________________
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
BenGT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 311
BenGT07 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post

Uhummm 1992 ring a bell ? Some of us can do the math.
Bahahaha. Only a few of us, but those that can ALWAYS gotta act like they are smarter or something.
__________________
In the market for a Fox body...
SOLD: 2007 Performance white GT Premium.
Performance: Eibach lowering kit, SVT wheels, Steeda Camber Casters, Steeda short throw, FRPP 4.10's, Airraid CAI, BBK 62mm TB, Brenspeed Detroit Rockers, Pypes Longtubes with O/R H and Violators.
For fun: Window louvers, 15% tint, Raxiom tinted taillights, J&L Audio sub.
BenGT07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #25
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 510
muscledom is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post

How did you know I was 20? That's freaked me out
I'm a class 5 dragon wizard (goes by the length of ones beard and the number of dragons slain). Or the 1992 in your username dumbass lol. You have much to learn grasshopper. Glad I was able to blow your mind with my magic though hahaha
__________________
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #26
Site Sponsor
Sponsor
 
AMShaneLesky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,690
AMShaneLesky is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post
Not so fast American Muscle Shane.. 8 months ago, same problem with BAMA tunes. At 40+ MPH my throttle response was SO delayed. AM said TPS blah blah. Went to a shop, they said the TPS was new from the previous owner. Got a Dyno tune and my throttle response is crazy fast at any mph! Not to burst your bubble or anything.. Just saying haha and I also gained 14.something RWHP too so that's cool too.

Graham1992,

I'm sorry to hear you had throttle hesitation and issues with your Bama tunes in the past. It definitely sounds like we could have made some adjustments to yours for an improvement. I'm glad you got it all sorted out though.

As for the OP, he has both a Bama & Steeda tune. It's highly unlikely that both extremely experienced tuning companies made the same mistake. Once he gets it checked out, we'll go from there of course.

Shane
__________________
Shane Lesky | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.257.1770 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMShaneLesky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
gmcmanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
gmcmanus is unknown around these parts
Fairly certain it's not a tune issue, feels mechanical in nature. However, AM and I are going to data log just to make certain.

Not sure if this is possible but could the throttle actuator be cleaned in any way? I don't know if there is any way to separate it from the TB... Need to go pop the hood I guess
__________________
gmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

I'm a class 5 dragon wizard (goes by the length of ones beard and the number of dragons slain). Or the 1992 in your username dumbass lol. You have much to learn grasshopper. Glad I was able to blow your mind with my magic though hahaha
Yeah.. I feel retarded.. My bad. But I don't think that can always be assumed by date? Maybe I got rid of herpes that year? Now who feels bad.. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky

Graham1992,

I'm sorry to hear you had throttle hesitation and issues with your Bama tunes in the past. It definitely sounds like we could have made some adjustments to yours for an improvement. I'm glad you got it all sorted out though.

As for the OP, he has both a Bama & Steeda tune. It's highly unlikely that both extremely experienced tuning companies made the same mistake. Once he gets it checked out, we'll go from there of course.

Shane
And as for you, I wasn't really trying to say that Bama tunes were bad. It was actually my throttle body. I also got a ford racing throttle body so it was faulty.. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Bama has always done me right and AM has definitely outshined the competition for anything Mustang! So I will continue to blow my hard earned money on you guys!
__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
gmcmanus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 58
gmcmanus is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post
Maybe I got rid of herpes that year?
I am oddly intrigued...Please tell us more. LMAO
__________________
gmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #30
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 510
muscledom is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1992 View Post

Yeah.. I feel retarded.. My bad. But I don't think that can always be assumed by date? Maybe I got rid of herpes that year? Now who feels bad.. Haha
That would be pretty hard to do since herpes wasn't invented until 1996.
__________________
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Graham1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 385
Graham1992 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscledom

That would be pretty hard to do since herpes wasn't invented until 1996.
O__O he is magic
__________________

__________________
Graham1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2009 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off





» Like Us On Facebook


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


09:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0