Leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
Leak

Just hot under the car for the first time after purchasing my 07 mustang gt. There seams to be a leak near the rear differential. The forward facing portion and running forward is covered with a light oil stain. Help!
Tcward is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcward View Post
Just hot under the car for the first time after purchasing my 07 mustang gt. There seams to be a leak near the rear differential. The forward facing portion and running forward is covered with a light oil stain. Help!
Hmm my 05 has same oil stain but not sure where it came from or how long it's been there cause I recently changed my differential oil which is when I noticed it
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #3

Yeah I'm not too sure how long it's been going on. I think I will just clean it up for the time being and change the fluid. See where it is coming from. Oh joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Is the oil leak stain actually on the differential? I think there is a vent at the top of the passenger side rear differential that can blow out some fluid at high speeds. I've got some fluid on mine as well.
gmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

It's actually caused the concrete below to stain. Not bad. But it can be seen where it has been slowly dripping from too.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

The more I think about it, the more I think I might of damaged it. I hit a deep pothole a couple weeks back and for awhile couldn't find anything wrong. Lol, apparently I was wrong.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's actually caused the concrete below to stain. Not bad. But it can be seen where it has been slowly dripping from too.

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

The more I think about it, the more I think I might of damaged it. I hit a deep pothole a couple weeks back and for awhile couldn't find anything wrong. Lol, apparently I was wrong.
That sucks man, sounds like it is the pinion seal where the driveshaft connects into the differential. 2 Hour Job pretty much if you're savvy.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #7

Any idea how much the parts would be off hand? Obviously I'm not letting this areas ****ty mechanics touch my car so I will be doing it myself.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Any idea how much the parts would be off hand? Obviously I'm not letting this areas ****ty mechanics touch my car so I will be doing it myself.
National 3604 - Oil Seal | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I think that is it, also may want to look for metal damage when you remove the old seal in which case I think you'd need a repair sleeve which you can also get from most parts stores. $22
Old 12-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

Sweet man! Thanks for the help. I'll get under it later this week to get it done and let you know!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

You were right! Seal was leaking! Replaced and working like a champ!! You guys are awesome!
Old 12-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Glad it worked out man, figured that's what it was

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT