Drag radials or summer tires? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post

If you were leaning towards the MTs, you would not be disappointed! I have well over $5k into testing tires out for tooling around mostly in a straight line haha - If I'd used the MT's on my 01 GT instead of NT05Rs, I probably would have broken something - and that car was just bolt ons - I said it in the post you quoted and I'll say it again.. For how I drive the car and wanting instant grip on the street - I'd get the MT's again hands down.. They're also the same price as the 555Rs and a little cheaper than the NT05Rs in store (americas tire = discount tire direct)
MTs are the only good one you tested, have you tried Hoosiers QTP
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
The stickier the tire, generally, the less life it has. Drag radials can be street driven but are not necessarily made with the tire to be daily driven in mind. You have to decide what is more important. Additionally, the benefits a drag radial have over summer tires is only viable when the tire is heated before a launch. Without track burnouts, a drag radial isn't as effective. Street 'grip' will be the same if not slightly better or slightly worse than a quality summer tire. If you don't tack on too many miles, tread life wouldn't be bad when measured in time, not miles.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:20 AM   #38
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
The stickier the tire, generally, the less life it has. Drag radials can be street driven but are not necessarily made with the tire to be daily driven in mind. You have to decide what is more important. Additionally, the benefits a drag radial have over summer tires is only viable when the tire is heated before a launch. Without track burnouts, a drag radial isn't as effective. Street 'grip' will be the same if not slightly better or slightly worse than a quality summer tire. If you don't tack on too many miles, tread life wouldn't be bad when measured in time, not miles.
A drag radial on the street doesn't need a burnout to grip, tracks are different, you're racing on a mix of VHT, asphalt and build up of other racer's rubber - I had summer tires on this before and even just going wot in second not even on the shift, car would break loose - with the ET streets it will hook any time unless I aggressively dump the clutch

BaSohol - I've not tried the Hoosiers as I've been unable to find them locally, and not true on the NT05rs- check out some comparison threads/videos and pretty sure a magazine had done a vs test

And you're right on the BFG and 555r - but they do offer better immediate grip than a typical street tire and they actually have some tread life

Also to note, I would actively avoid driving in any sort of heavy rain with the ET streets..
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post

A drag radial on the street doesn't need a burnout to grip, tracks are different, you're racing on a mix of VHT, asphalt and build up of other racer's rubber - I had summer tires on this before and even just going wot in second not even on the shift, car would break loose - with the ET streets it will hook any time unless I aggressively dump the clutch

BaSohol - I've not tried the Hoosiers as I've been unable to find them locally, and not true on the NT05rs- check out some comparison threads/videos and pretty sure a magazine had done a vs test

And you're right on the BFG and 555r - but they do offer better immediate grip than a typical street tire and they actually have some tread life

Also to note, I would actively avoid driving in any sort of heavy rain with the ET streets..
Haha ya and the ETs suck in the rain but they also suck for traction On the street without heating them up, well not suck just work like a regular tire
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post
A drag radial on the street doesn't need a burnout to grip, tracks are different, you're racing on a mix of VHT, asphalt and build up of other racer's rubber - I had summer tires on this before and even just going wot in second not even on the shift, car would break loose - with the ET streets it will hook any time unless I aggressively dump the clutch

BaSohol - I've not tried the Hoosiers as I've been unable to find them locally, and not true on the NT05rs- check out some comparison threads/videos and pretty sure a magazine had done a vs test

And you're right on the BFG and 555r - but they do offer better immediate grip than a typical street tire and they actually have some tread life

Also to note, I would actively avoid driving in any sort of heavy rain with the ET streets..
Right. The track is STICKIER. That is a complete reverse argument. DRs need to be warmed up for their effectiveness. You breaking loose is more the tire being not as grippy, versus the DR being stickier. I have nitto 555s, 340 WHP, 4.10s, aluminum DS, cams and I trap 110 and I do not break loose in 1st from a 4k hold and punch unless it is under 45 or 50 degrees.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:51 PM   #41
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Haha ya and the ETs suck in the rain but they also suck for traction On the street without heating them up, well not suck just work like a regular tire
Come race me without a burnout with an equal of my car on a street tire vs the MTs - that is the most bogus statement I've ever heard.

Road race tires when cold are slick/dont grip - drag radials, ESPECIALLY ET streets are not - I don't know you and no offense to you but I had NEVER been able to go WOT in first on any street tire on the street in this car - and i tried 3 of those before the et streets - let alone powershift into second without just redlining
There is a reason I use a drag radial on my weekend car and it is directly influenced by how much fun I can have in a straight line as I don't have to deal with corners
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
And I'm at a mere 475/436 hp/tq - I've used toyo proxes (road race tires) kdw2s and 950 pole positions - not counting factory gt500 good years - nothing dead hooked like these MTs before on the street
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #43
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post
Right. The track is STICKIER. That is a complete reverse argument. DRs need to be warmed up for their effectiveness. You breaking loose is more the tire being not as grippy, versus the DR being stickier. I have nitto 555s, 340 WHP, 4.10s, aluminum DS, cams and I trap 110 and I do not break loose in 1st from a 4k hold and punch unless it is under 45 or 50 degrees.
I stated the ONLY time I break loose with the MTs on street is if I very aggressively dump the clutch - 475whp trapping 123 1/4 mile - actually have to launch softer at the track than on the street even with a burnout
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post

Come race me without a burnout with an equal of my car on a street tire vs the MTs - that is the most bogus statement I've ever heard.

Road race tires when cold are slick/dont grip - drag radials, ESPECIALLY ET streets are not - I don't know you and no offense to you but I had NEVER been able to go WOT in first on any street tire on the street in this car - and i tried 3 of those before the et streets - let alone powershift into second without just redlining
There is a reason I use a drag radial on my weekend car and it is directly influenced by how much fun I can have in a straight line as I don't have to deal with corners
Idk I just spin em if I don't heat them up, maybe because it just picks up dust and crap, if I do a rolling WOT in first it will spin just like my 235 nitto 850 all seasons and I've done a lot of dig races on closed public roads, and I feel like I can launch the same on cold MTs and all seasons. That's why I bring vht track bite with me or rootbeer and heat them up
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #45
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Idk I just spin em if I don't heat them up, maybe because it just picks up dust and crap, if I do a rolling WOT in first it will spin just like my 235 nitto 850 all seasons and I've done a lot of dig races on closed public roads, and I feel like I can launch the same on cold MTs and all seasons. That's why I bring vht track bite with me or rootbeer and heat them up
Don't know what you're doing different then, but on my current car without changing suspension setups.. I've used KDWIIs (very high rated summer tires) toyo proxy (very high rated road race tires) the factory GT500 eagle supercar tires (work ok for GT500s) and every single one of those.. Cold, all acted the same, hot - only affected the proxies.. Then tried NT05Rs.. oddly first was useable but if I shocked it like a poweshift to second, it'd just leave two black streaks on the road and not accelerate.. The ET streets feel like glue

And I'm at 475 WHP
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
I hook into second without heating them up cause it spins enough in first, I will agree with you that you do get better traction with a cold DR then a allseason but it's so small of a difference it's not measurable
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
MonteCitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Region: California
Posts: 2,506
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
I hook into second without heating them up cause it spins enough in first, I will agree with you that you do get better traction with a cold DR then a allseason but it's so small of a difference it's not measurable
Could be the difference then - I get to second so quick and shift fairly aggressively that the tires don't heat up enough.. But they've gotta be spinning to heat up
__________________
2012 IS F Blue IS F Sport
2006 Mustang V6 wannabe
MonteCitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
First of all DR s don't need to be heated up to work. If you race with them you do a light burnout to clean them off. That is what Mickey Thompson recommend. They are grippy but if you think you might have to drive in the rain I would advise against it. Just my .02
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
First of all DR s don't need to be heated up to work. If you race with them you do a light burnout to clean them off. That is what Mickey Thompson recommend. They are grippy but if you think you might have to drive in the rain I would advise against it. Just my .02
You don't need to heat them up for them to grip BUT you absolutely HAVE tpo heat them up for them to get the traction a Drag Radial provides. Cleaning off tires is for street tires, not drag radials. If MT recommended that, they're crazy.

Meaning a Nitto 555 Non R and a MT DR will both allow you low 1.8s. But when you heat a MT DR it will allow for high 1.6s.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
MIckeys Thompson's, need heat, who ever said a light burnout to clean them is enough, A. Doesn't own them, B. doesn't race with them or C. Doesn't know what they are talking about

To me a cold DR is basically the same as a street radial
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:

To me a cold DR is basically the same as a street radial
You'd be correct.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borii View Post

You don't need to heat them up for them to grip BUT you absolutely HAVE tpo heat them up for them to get the traction a Drag Radial provides. Cleaning off tires is for street tires, not drag radials. If MT recommended that, they're crazy.

Meaning a Nitto 555 Non R and a MT DR will both allow you low 1.8s. But when you heat a MT DR it will allow for high 1.6s.
Been racing on them for years don't agree
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post

Been racing on them for years don't agree
What's your 60' then?
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
MIckeys Thompson's, need heat, who ever said a light burnout to clean them is enough, A. Doesn't own them, B. doesn't race with them or C. Doesn't know what they are talking about

To me a cold DR is basically the same as a street radial
I own them race on them and win with them never did a big burnout I go through the the water light em up release line lock and roll out. I do know what I'm talking about.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post

What's your 60' then?
1.78

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

I race with guys from Mickey Thompson too
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Bori is cutting 1.8 on street tires, try heating them up more, you might be able to do better, what's your 1/4 with that 60'

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I witnessed my buddy at test and tune play around with different burnout lengths, the long John force style burnout yielded the fastest time, by .4 tenths
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
12.95 12.97

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaSohol View Post
Bori is cutting 1.8 on street tires, try heating them up more, you might be able to do better, what's your 1/4 with that 60'

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

I witnessed my buddy at test and tune play around with different burnout lengths, the long John force style burnout yielded the fastest time, by .4 tenths
Your prob right most places I race at wont let you do that and I bracket race so I'm looking for consistently not necessarily big ets not to mention longevity of the tires not cheap
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post

I own them race on them and win with them never did a big burnout I go through the the water light em up release line lock and roll out. I do know what I'm talking about.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------



1.78

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

I race with guys from Mickey Thompson too
Bingo. 1.78 is a sub par 60 for a radial. Not burning them is hurting you.

If that is your goal, then thats what matters but it is a Fact burning DRs is how you get their effectiveness.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
I've won championships so I must be doing something right
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular
 
BaSohol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
I've won championships so I must be doing something right
You already admitted you don't race for the best ET, you bracket race. We are talking about getting the est ET possible so your knowledge is limited to consistent times not best possible times
__________________

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
I've won championships so I must be doing something right
Yes, being consistent. That doesn't chance the fact that DRs need to be warmed up for their INTENDED effectiveness. Not YOUR intended goals. A 1.78 is NOT good on ETs.

So yes, it works for what you want butto answer the OP and say they do not NEED to be warmed up is 100% incorrect.

Also, winning "championships" means as much as flame stickers on fenders of an S10.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
I've won championships so I must be doing something right
You can win championships in bracket racing in Chrysler mini-van if you're consistent enough.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
You can win championships in bracket racing in Chrysler mini-van if you're consistent enough.
Exactly. Most bracket championships, to avoid such "cheeseyness" make the last 2 or 4 rounds a heads up race.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
I guess we can agree to disagree. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you guys so you need not be insulting to me. If you think winning championships are easy or cheesy or like flame stickers on an s -10 then let's see what you can accomplish. Anyone can go out and hammer their car and I have too but I race to win and have been doing for a long time. If you think you have to do a long smokey burnout on drs then waste your money but don't insult me
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
I guess we can agree to disagree. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you guys so you need not be insulting to me. If you think winning championships are easy or cheesy or like flame stickers on an s -10 then let's see what you can accomplish. Anyone can go out and hammer their car and I have too but I race to win and have been doing for a long time. If you think you have to do a long smokey burnout on drs then waste your money but don't insult me
No one insulted you. We corrected you. The truth hurts. Winning championships has NOTHING to do with your knowledge on tries. A DR HAS to be heated for maximum effectiveness. YOUR 60' PROVES that. What part do you not understand? 1.78 60' is not good for ET streets. ET streets have nailed mid 1.6s for people. I do 1.812 on regular street tires.

My comment about the championships was to suggest that you're racing against regular people, not professional drivers, so not wanting the BEST time is proof of that. Unless you're doing 1.78 every single time and .000 reaction every single time, you're not consistent and are definitely not winning any championships. Your opinion does not change facts. Drag radials need to be heated for their maximum effectiveness. Regardless of what you THINK.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
I guess we can agree to disagree. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you guys so you need not be insulting to me. If you think winning championships are easy or cheesy or like flame stickers on an s -10 then let's see what you can accomplish. Anyone can go out and hammer their car and I have too but I race to win and have been doing for a long time. If you think you have to do a long smokey burnout on drs then waste your money but don't insult me
Nobody started out trying to insult anybody in this thread. But when you jump in and say that you know better because you've won some bracket racing championships, you've got to expect to get some feedback. It's awesome to win anything while driving, but you gotta realize that you threw the first rock.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
Wasn't trying to throw the first rock and maybe my comments were taken the wrong way. I wasn't trying to sound high and mighty if that's the way it cam across I apologize. Please read this article this was only the point I was trying to make. That's all. http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...-drag-radials/
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
Wasn't trying to throw the first rock and maybe my comments were taken the wrong way. I wasn't trying to sound high and mighty if that's the way it cam across I apologize. Please read this article this was only the point I was trying to make. That's all. http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...-drag-radials/
It states that Drag radials need a burn out. It also states that the Mickey's need a burnout, just smaller. A haze is suggestive of the smoke, not a "spin clean". He is suggesting that the tires do not need a smoke cloud, just a "haze".

Cleaning the tires would not generate a haze. So a cleaning is under heating them. 1 or 2 seconds more of spin will be just enough.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
Wasn't trying to throw the first rock and maybe my comments were taken the wrong way. I wasn't trying to sound high and mighty if that's the way it cam across I apologize. Please read this article this was only the point I was trying to make. That's all. http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/...-drag-radials/
It's all good. Everyone wants to make their point and sometimes it seems to get personal. These discussions are always great, I usually learn a lot of new things or see a different perspective.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mark221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cleveland
Region: Ohio
Posts: 105
I guess there just was a communication break down on my part. When I ran et drags on other cars heating the tires meant to me sitting a nod baking them. I did state in a previous post I roll into the water set the line lock light them up and roll out while spinning left that part out. I just meant you don't have to bake them so to me what I do is cleaning them off which you wouldn't know tha about me because I didn't explain myself. My fault. Guess we were basically talking about the same thing. As far as my 60' that's a reflection of how I drive this car versus how it hooks. No hard feelings wasn't trying to be arrogant. Sorry if I came across that way
Mark221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lakeland
Region: Florida
Posts: 1,699
Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark221 View Post
I guess there just was a communication break down on my part. When I ran et drags on other cars heating the tires meant to me sitting a nod baking them. I did state in a previous post I roll into the water set the line lock light them up and roll out while spinning left that part out. I just meant you don't have to bake them so to me what I do is cleaning them off which you wouldn't know tha about me because I didn't explain myself. My fault. Guess we were basically talking about the same thing. As far as my 60' that's a reflection of how I drive this car versus how it hooks. No hard feelings wasn't trying to be arrogant. Sorry if I came across that way
No arrogance. This is the internet, I do not take anything personal. Intense discussions always make people research more. If I didn't jump down your ****, you wouldn't have thought to link the article, etc, which has other useful info for others.

As for your 60, that is my point. You can nail significantly better 60' foot times.
__________________
SOLD - 06 GT 371WHP/332WTQ


Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:25 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.