Stock Charge Motion Modification - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Stock Charge Motion Modification

I've read a few threads elsewhere about people modifying their Stock Charge Motion plates by simply removing the butterflies and bearings, then using quik steel to seal the holes between ports ... also another individual did not seal the holes between the ports, he just sealed the rod exit using a freeze plug and combination of quik steel compound. Has anyone accomplished this modification successfully or care to explain their own procedure? Thinking about doing this over the weekend. I don't really care to spend $280 on something I can do as a project for the cost of some freeze plugs and quik steel compound... It would be nice if Steeda still offered the economy delete plates, those were essentially the same as stock with just the butterflies removed.
gmcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I wouldn't ever just start plugging holes in your intake like That, just doesn't sound safe

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Not plugging holes in the intake. You're essentially making CMDPs just like the Steeda Economy plates.

http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...-cmdpguide.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmanus
Not plugging holes in the intake. You're essentially making CMDPs just like the Steeda Economy plates.

http://www.newyorkmustangs.com/forum...-cmdpguide.pdf
Until something does go wrong and you shoot a freeze plug into your motor. Don't mess around with stuff like this. Either drop the cash or don't do it at all.
BCS06GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Oh doesn't look hard, but still if I did it I'd weld it

2007 Ford Mustang GT 5spd
Brenspeed tune, JLT 3, Hurst shifter, 4.10s
O/R Xpipe, 15x8 Jeg Stars with Micky Thompsons
BaSohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The plates are aluminum and the steel epoxy is whatever. May have a problem with expansion from heating a cooling at different rates, which could eventually allow one of those putty plugs to come out and toast the engine.

Might be a great cheap solution, but I wouldn't risk my engine to save a couple hundred bucks. Did you do your engine first or your buddies?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Sounds easy but i would rather spend the money on the aftermarket part. Im just saying
Kcstunna82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know where I can pick up the Economy Plates anymore? I don't understand why Steeda stopped manufacturing them and only have the much more expensive Billet plates now. From my understanding the billet plates have a larger opening than our stock intake ports - which in my limited knowledge would cause turbulence and tumbling of air. The billet plates also have ports for nitrous or meth injection, not my cup of tea. Just want to keep it simple.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmanus View Post
Anyone know where I can pick up the Economy Plates anymore? I don't understand why Steeda stopped manufacturing them and only have the much more expensive Billet plates now. From my understanding the billet plates have a larger opening than our stock intake ports - which in my limited knowledge would cause turbulence and tumbling of air. The billet plates also have ports for nitrous or meth injection, not my cup of tea. Just want to keep it simple.
I have em and they work great. If you're not building a 600hp race car, you can throw the turbulence idea out the window.
muscledom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT