X-Pipes or H-Pipes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
X-Pipes or H-Pipes

on my 05 GT I got the BBK Shorty Headers and the SLP Loudmouth Axle-Back Exhaust, and I wanna get new midpipes. What will sound better, the X-Pipes or H-Pipes? What's the good and bad things about each one? And what brand would you recommend? Thanks in advance.
Landen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
H pipes make it more muscle and deeper sounding...x pipes make it raspy and race car sounding...x pipes are a tad bit louder as well...I got a offroad upr x and I love it
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Bassani X, best sounding midpipe ever!

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #4

I'm looking for something loud and agressive. So I should go with the H pipe?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landen
I'm looking for something loud and agressive. So I should go with the H pipe?
Ehhh if your trying to go loud and aggressive I'd go offroad x...plus you have loudmouths...offroad x and lm1 is an amazing combo
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #6

gotcha. what brand would you recommend?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
gotcha. what brand would you recommend?
Well upr is a cheap and excellent quality midpipe...but if your looking for top notch quality and if money allows I'd recommend bassani. They are the best at what they do IMO. Every midpipe will basically sound generally the same...after all it's just piping. There will be hardly any differences in sound. Are you ganna go with offroads?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #8

yeah I think I'm going with the offroads since it's the only thing people are talking about haha but I was thinking of going with the Pypes Off-Road since it's like $100 cheaper than bassani and since you said they generally all sound the same, right?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah I think I'm going with the offroads since it's the only thing people are talking about haha but I was thinking of going with the Pypes Off-Road since it's like $100 cheaper than bassani and since you said they generally all sound the same, right?
Yep they do. But I've heard alot of horror stories about the pypes midpipes fitment on new edges. I'm not so sure about the 05-09 like yours...just make sure you read the reviews and that people say they fit good. And trust me...those offroad x's will WAKE that exhaust up!!! It's insanely loud with those loudmouths. Also I'd recommend ordering them from americanmuscle.com. They have the best prices and free shipping..also their customer service is the best around....they will help you with anything you need
Old 12-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #10

well, then I think I might go with the bassani. and yeah I got a LOT of stuff on my car and every single part is from americanmuscle.com
Old 12-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I need some help as well, Im looking at getting shorty headers as a graduation present, i have flowmaster american thunders right now. I cant decide between an x or h pipe. Id like to get a deep throaty rumble. Can i get that with an H? I was thinking about just going x since thats what matches up with the bbk shortys on AM.
C_Dailey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
well, then I think I might go with the bassani. and yeah I got a LOT of stuff on my car and every single part is from americanmuscle.com
Haha +1 love AM
Old 12-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Dailey95 View Post
I need some help as well, Im looking at getting shorty headers as a graduation present, i have flowmaster american thunders right now. I cant decide between an x or h pipe. Id like to get a deep throaty rumble. Can i get that with an H? I was thinking about just going x since thats what matches up with the bbk shortys on AM.
Deep and throaty = H pipe

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #14

I got the BBK shorty too. On AM they say that both x and h will fit shorty headers as long as the mid pipe is the Standard length
Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Dailey95
That H pipe will most definetly give you that deep rumble...but instead of getting shorties get those longtubes for your graduation present. Longtubes add power and make it sound better. And your looking to get a new midpipe too. That'll be your best bet. But keep in mind if you get longtubes you will need a shorty midpipe
Old 12-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi View Post
That H pipe will most definetly give you that deep rumble...but instead of getting shorties get those longtubes for your graduation present. Longtubes add power and make it sound better. And your looking to get a new midpipe too. That'll be your best bet. But keep in mind if you get longtubes you will need a shorty midpipe
He lives in Cali, if he was going to have LTs he would have to do a complete exhaust swap just for smog.

HID end all thread
Old 12-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
He lives in Cali, if he was going to have LTs he would have to do a complete exhaust swap just for smog.
Didn't realize he was in Cali. He also wouldn't be able to put those offroad H's on either poo
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Didn't realize he was in Cali. He also wouldn't be able to put those offroad x's on either poo
Well what about Ohio??
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi

Didn't realize he was in Cali. He also wouldn't be able to put those offroad x's on either poo
Yeah i wanted LT so bad! But shorties are better than stock! I believe the only catted H pipe AM has is the JBA. Will that work with the bbk headers? I wanted to get the "tuned length" ones.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well what about Ohio??
I'm not so sure about Ohio. Does Ohio have emission checks??? I live down here in the sticks and cotton fields so I can throw racing exhaust on my car and no one would care lol

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

Quote:

Yeah i wanted LT so bad! But shorties are better than stock! I believe the only catted H pipe AM has is the JBA. Will that work with the bbk headers? I wanted to get the "tuned length" ones.
Hmmmm I'm pretty sure any midpipe will work with those headers...so your getting the jba catted H??
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to MACh237 Send a message via Skype™ to MACh237
I have an X pire, but if i can go back i will choose the H one... and you better to get some high flow cats... if you don`t want the "rapsy sound"
- 2012 Aldo Beel Leather Shoes (Daily Ride)
MACh237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #22

Quote:
I'm not so sure about Ohio. Does Ohio have emission checks??? I live down here in the sticks and cotton fields so I can throw racing exhaust on my car and no one would care lol

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

I don't know really lol I just moved to ohio 2 years ago
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmmm I'm pretty sure any midpipe will work with those headers...so your getting the jba catted H??
Yeah, most likely! I just love the deep aggressive muscle sound.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know really lol I just moved to ohio 2 years ago
Ahh haha well I'm sure someone on here can tell you bc I have no clue about Ohio.Or you can google it . I just know that Cali is infamous for their laws on exhaust.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah, most likely! I just love the deep aggressive muscle sound.
Haha me too my dads 89 5.0 has that muscle sound to it and whenever I wash my car he lets me crank his up and listen to that cam as I wash mine haha
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I have long tubes and at the time had a Catted x pipe (now have offroad h) and passed smog. Had to throw the stock intake back on though too. But the place I went to didn't even do a visual inspection just ran it and it passed.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Quote:

Shorties are a little better than stock. Flow wise youll gain very little if anything over the stock manifolds. Sound wise it will sound a little bit better. That's why it's better to go long tubes but I would thing the JBA midpipe should work with the BBK shorties. But just to make sure I would contact AM and make sure

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23

I have long tubes and at the time had a Catted x pipe (now have offroad h) and passed smog. Had to throw the stock intake back on though too. But the place I went to didn't even do a visual inspection just ran it and it passed.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Shorties are a little better than stock. Flow wise youll gain very little if anything over the stock manifolds. Sound wise it will sound a little bit better. That's why it's better to go long tubes but I would thing the JBA midpipe should work with the BBK shorties. But just to make sure I would contact AM and make sure
Where in california are you? And yeah, in a way im going for just sound since my parents dont want me having TOO much power just yet. But ill definitely call in just to be sure.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #28
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang23 View Post

Yea you can pass with LTs and cats on, but if they do that visual you're screwed.

HID end all thread
Old 12-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Where in california are you? And yeah, in a way im going for just sound since my parents dont want me having TOO much power just yet. But ill definitely call in just to be sure.
LA

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Yea you can pass with LTs and cats on, but if they do that visual you're screwed.
Ya I know. The place I went to I knew didn't do a visual so I knew I'd be ok.

Custom Dyno Tune By B&D Racing
340 RWHP
325 RWTQ
Stang23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ahh haha well I'm sure someone on here can tell you bc I have no clue about Ohio.Or you can google it . I just know that Cali is infamous for their laws on exhaust.
In Ohio they do have emissions. You do it once every two years. This is why I am skipping the LTs for now and putting in a offroad H-pipe with the stock manifolds. Then when emissions comes around swap back in the cats.
I am about to have mine done in January and then the offroad goes on for two years.
MavyMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
H pipes
Depack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landen View Post

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Quote:

Yep they do. But I've heard alot of horror stories about the pypes midpipes fitment on new edges. I'm not so sure about the 05-09 like yours...just make sure you read the reviews and that people say they fit good. And trust me...those offroad x's will WAKE that exhaust up!!! It's insanely loud with those loudmouths. Also I'd recommend ordering them from americanmuscle.com. They have the best prices and free shipping..also their customer service is the best around....they will help you with anything you need
I've got Pype O/R X-pipe on my car for over 4 years with no problems!.. And mine is a DD right here in Michigan!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Pypes make high quality parts. I had lts all the way back on my 05 and everything worked perfect. You can't get any pipes with nicer looking welds at any price. Save the $100.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

No sir. I have pypes o/r h and it fits fine? Not one single problem.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT

No sir. I have pypes o/r h and it fits fine? Not one single problem.
Hmmmmm maybe I'm mistaking the midpipes with their headers...one of their products get horrible reviews from what I've seen

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT