I don't know what I want :[ - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Send a message via AIM to braumab Send a message via MSN to braumab
I don't know what I want :[

Turbocharger .... or Supercharger .... I really want to scoot off the line, but I really want to keep scooting once i'm off the line. :shake: I don't know which to go with. I want to cry... I think i've been going back and forth from one to the other for 4 months now... I hear ... a supercharger will spin my tires to hell and back then back again ... and again ... and again ... and the 24 hours would have passed before I catch traction. Turbo is supposed to help off the line ... amd I on the money here?

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
braumab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 05:01 PM   #2

Re: I don't know what I want :[

The supercharger does offer alot of bang for the money. I have had the opportunity to have had both in past mustangs and if you want a car that will run and feel good(even on the highway), I would choose the turbo. If you are looking to launch this thing like a space shuttle, choose the supercharger. I really like turbos due to the fact that not everybody is doing it, it sounds cool, and no belt to worry about slipping or coming off. The choice is yours. Pick your rush.
'07ragtop gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

okay, so they Supercharger will get me off the line? I thought the Turbo would do that?

05 Stang to the Bang! X-Pipe, Headers, Stage 2 Roush Kit, Tuner, JBA Exhaust and about a million and 4 Horsepower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Whipple....that will get you off the line. Full boost from the moment you hit the throttle till you get off.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

in the end the turbo will make the car faster~ but ... they come with more of a price if you cant afford to rebuild the engine then dont think about doing anything.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Local guy here has an 05 GT with a whipple and supporting mods...Go whipple and be done with it...you won't regret it.

Quote:
I am looking to possibly sell or trade my Black 2005 Whipplecharged Mustang GT for a 2003/2004 Cobra. I just put the whipple supercharger on the car (with all the supporting mods) less than 3k miles ago. The car currently has 34k miles on it and was NA up until 31k miles. The car is in perfect working order with no mechanical flaws at all. It was tuned by James@RWTD in Alabama and will be going back to him after the semester is over to fine tune it and tune it for an 8lb belt (makes 10psi, currently has 10lb belt making 12psi on it). Car made 460rwhp 456ft-lbs when I dyno'd it.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumab View Post
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh snap!
Another local shop put down 500 rwhp at 15 psi on a saleen supercharger...up until they took it off due to continually snapping tensioner arms because the owners drove like **** and hit the rev limiter all the time.

Like I Said, whipple and be done. :beer:
Old 05-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

what's this i hear about procharger? is that any good? or .. still go with the whipple?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

KB makes a solid supercharger too

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:56 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to 05RedDevil

Damn it, boy, just let us know what your ultimate goal is. Are you looking to get a certain time at the drag strip, have a certain sound, have an exact dyno goal?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

We have a guy here running a PowerHouse turbo 2005 Mustang GT getting 6.95 - 7.09 in the 1/8th. Launches good with no tire spin. I'd love to see what he can do in the 1/4 mile. This thing is wicked about 60 foot into the run. Really quiet and blows the doors off alot of unsuspecting racers... Really fun to watch him.
RedRoushOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Damn, what else does he have besides the turbo, how much boost is he running and how much was the set-up?
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to ChrissyStang02 Send a message via Yahoo to ChrissyStang02

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
Another local shop put down 500 rwhp at 15 psi on a saleen supercharger...up until they took it off due to continually snapping tensioner arms because the owners drove like **** and hit the rev limiter all the time.

Like I Said, whipple and be done. :beer:

Yes, and that white Saleen is hot as hell and my dream car! (Well, outside of a verrry hot looking Roush).

2002 Mineral Gray Mustang GT ~Dominic~
MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust, CAI, Mach 1 Grille Delete and much more to come. ***Sold. New 5.0 GT coming soon!!!
ChrissyStang02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

I think he is running about 12 lbs of boost (don't quote me) and thats it. He runs on worn out drag radials (said he was getting new ones soon...) but the car launches easy enough off the line, and he doesn't need the DR's until he gets down track and the boost ramps up. Then (he says) he needs all the traction he can get. I told him to sneak out to the track, before he races, and put down some VHT from the 60 foot mark to the end of the track. I said I was kidding, but he thought a minute and said "Ya know...that might work..."
RedRoushOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Damn, 12psi. I'm only running 5 psi but at least I don't have to worry about engine life loss too much. I've heard that people have sprayed their tires with VHT: does that actually help and does it do anything long term to the tire? I thought it should only be sprayed on the road itself.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedDevil View Post
Damn it, boy, just let us know what your ultimate goal is. Are you looking to get a certain time at the drag strip, have a certain sound, have an exact dyno goal?

...lol...I want to launch off the line. I freaking want an 11 second car in the 1/4 mile and I also want the power when I'm driving on the interstate and some gay cobalt drives up beside me. Yes, I want me cake and I'd like to eat it too. Oh..and I want about 1000000psi. :yank:

Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

as was said earlier, what is your ultimate goal? Do you want 600 rwhp? 800? 1000+? Your stock engine internals are only good to so much hp. The 99-04 GT can only handle around 450 hp (~400 rwhp) before you're pushing it a little hard. If you plan on getting a built engine and you feel like pushing the hp up to the 650 rwhp or a little higher, you also have to consider that you have to build the rear as well as the tranny. You already have suspension so that will work nicely.

However, like for me, I know 650 rwhp will be more than enough... and I know a KB blower on top of a built engine will get me there. I plan on building the rear with an eaton LSD with 3.73's before thinking about blowing anything. After that, get the KB blower, and keep the boost down, to the 400 rwhp level. When I blow the engine, I'm hoping to have enough saved up for a built engine, and hopefully I can pick up a built 6 speed tranny. Of course work on new drive shaft in there and shore everything else up along the way. I'll have to rework the fuel delivery system (dual pumps and such). After all of that is done, the boost can be turned up.

So how far are you wanting to take this project?

Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
...lol...I want to launch off the line. I freaking want an 11 second car in the 1/4 mile and I also want the power when I'm driving on the interstate and some gay cobalt drives up beside me. Yes, I want me cake and I'd like to eat it too. Oh..and I want about 1000000psi. :yank:
11 sec cars are easily found in both types of FI. If you want the power right when you push the throttle, you're looking more towards the supercharger. KB and whipple both make delicious blowers that'll keep you more than very happy. Also, whipple just came out with a HUGE blower (I'm not sure if it'll fit your car though). I think the 3.4L whipple is for the 03-04 Cobra. But it'll go over 1000 rwhp.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well, honestly. I'd like to take it as far as I need too. 650rwhp would be amazing, but so would 1000+. I want to be the guy that noone around can beat. I would like to rebuild my engine regarless ... or make an engine swap. My motor only has 30k miles on it so I don't want to not use it. But 650rwhp would probably mean nothing can touch me around here. It's a pride thing. :\

Old 05-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Well, honestly. I'd like to take it as far as I need too. 650rwhp would be amazing, but so would 1000+. I want to be the guy that noone around can beat. I would like to rebuild my engine regarless ... or make an engine swap. My motor only has 30k miles on it so I don't want to not use it. But 650rwhp would probably mean nothing can touch me around here. It's a pride thing. :\
well, here's the first pride lesson. There's always someone faster. Hell, up here a stock GT is "fast". The really modded cars just aren't here for the most part. However, I know of a 900 hp GT in town too. My only point was, if you wanted 650 rwhp, you're going to have a very mean car on the street. At 1000 hp, you won't have any form of driveability. What good is the car if you can only take it down the drag strip? I still want to be able to drive the car like a car... or go cruising... or stuff like that. Basically, enjoy the car. When you get up too high of hp, you can't do that nearly as easily.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
KB 2,8L with the Mammoth intake...even though the elephant on it is gay as hell...running around 20ish psi with long tubes will get you to that 650 rwhp range.

Yo could go turbo, it will cost a good bit, will make more power at less boost, but you could have some lag while you wait for it to spool up depending on your setup.

With a whipple, saleen, kb...you will have full, or nearly full, boost from the moment you mash the gas until you let off whether going from a dig or from a roll, it won't matter. Boost is instant.

I can't quote you prices on turbo kits for your car, but my guess is it will run you a good bit more for a turbo kit over a twin screw.

As for the 3.4 mentioned above, it is not even a consideration unless you get your motor bored and stroked. It is way more than is needed for a stock 4.6L.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:35 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
KB 2,8L with the Mammoth intake...even though the elephant on it is gay as hell...running around 20ish psi with long tubes will get you to that 650 rwhp range.

Yo could go turbo, it will cost a good bit, will make more power at less boost, but you could have some lag while you wait for it to spool up depending on your setup.

With a whipple, saleen, kb...you will have full, or nearly full, boost from the moment you mash the gas until you let off whether going from a dig or from a roll, it won't matter. Boost is instant.

I can't quote you prices on turbo kits for your car, but my guess is it will run you a good bit more for a turbo kit over a twin screw.

As for the 3.4 mentioned above, it is not even a consideration unless you get your motor bored and stroked. It is way more than is needed for a stock 4.6L.
I only brought it up to show that a twin screw can get to crazy high hp levels. And can easily get to levels that are so high, it'll make the car non-streetable.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:39 AM   #24
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
I only brought it up to show that a twin screw can get to crazy high hp levels. And can easily get to levels that are so high, it'll make the car non-streetable.
But if you are going to bring it up, you should have just suggested the new 4.5L whipple that is coming out this year.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
But if you are going to bring it up, you should have just suggested the new 4.5L whipple that is coming out this year.
jesus christ. So, here's a question that might be applicable. Will the 2.1L KB make 650 rwhp? If so, what kind of psi am I looking at in order to get it? Or will I need the 2.6L blower? And, does that blower require a hood with a larger cowl than the 03 Cobra hood?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Braumab, do you do the work yourself or do you have the installs done for you or some combo of both?
Either way, that will take a good bit of time and money or just a good bit of money to get to 650rwhp. I'd plan out how you want to build it up first. I personally would:
1. get the suspension most the way there first (I hate dealing with axle hop, etc.)
2. build up the engine internals as the stock 4.6L 3-valve is only really trustworthy up to approximately 460rwhp
3. Upgrade the tranny shortly after getting to that much power.
4. Throw on a twin screw supercharger at mild boost (5-8psi) and get a feel for handling, traction, etc.
5. Up the boost (12+)
6. Wire in NOS.
7. (For braumab only: wake up from my dream )
Sound reasonable?
Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #27
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

The 2.1 I don't believe will make that power. It might, but it will require spinning it so hard you would need to run 100+ octane.

Your best bet is the 2.6L. If you get that, some engine and head work, cams, and long tubes...you should be able to break the 600 mark.

There's actually an article on KB's website on how to make your car a cobra killer with their blowers. I have the one I am thinking of saved at home that I can post later.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
The 2.1 I don't believe will make that power. It might, but it will require spinning it so hard you would need to run 100+ octane.

Your best bet is the 2.6L. If you get that, some engine and head work, cams, and long tubes...you should be able to break the 600 mark.

There's actually an article on KB's website on how to make your car a cobra killer with their blowers. I have the one I am thinking of saved at home that I can post later.
alright man. My current plan:
1) finish suspension stuff... so I currently have Eibach Pro-Kit springs and C/C plates. I also have subframes begging to go in (all of those in my room). I want lower control arms also. Then, I'm saving up for Bilstein shocks and struts.

2) Build Rear end.
Eaton Posi Limited Slip 8.8in 31 Spline Differential
Moser 31 Spline Mustang Axles for 8.8in Rear w/ Studs (99-04 GT, Bullitt, & Mach 1)
Ford Mustang 3.73 Gears at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!
That should leave me able to run all the power I will ever make through it.

3) Either build motor (as by this time, it will be ready to blow anyway.. probably around 125k miles by that point)... or buy a built 6 speed.

4) Upgrade fuel system.

5) New built motor (Livernois perhaps) with I guess the 2.6L on top, and boost up.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

lol...I don't want to wake up...

okay, if i start on the suspension, what needs to be done exactly? I have the stage 2 roush kit ... so I would assume that most of it is completed?

Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
lol...I don't want to wake up...

okay, if i start on the suspension, what needs to be done exactly? I have the stage 2 roush kit ... so I would assume that most of it is completed?
Based off research for my car....
I'm not 100% sure what would come with that, but I'm assuming just different springs. If you want to really stick to the road, you may want to consider even lower springs, and better shocks and struts. Also, lower control arms will help the wheel hop. If you plan on having INSANE hp... I'd say coilovers are going to be something you may want to look at. If you go real high hp, you may have to get an aftermarket K-member, and some of them require coil overs. There are a host of suspension parts. If you follow the links I posted, you can look at suspension parts at their site, it's where I get most of mine.

I'm not sure what suspension stuff is "suggested" on the 05's, but here's some stuff you can look at
Ford Mustang Suspension at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

The aftermarket Roush suspension kit comes with a bunch of stuff for the twisties (Front and Rear sway bars, shocks, struts, springs which lower a stock mustang 1") so you are basically guaranteed to have all that.
What you would have to look for are the Lower Control Arms. Stock Ford Mustangs have big heavy ugly black ones. Roush sells smaller lighter billets ones so you should be able to tell right away as long as you know what you are looking at but I couldn't tell you if they are standard on the Stage 2.
I will guarantee that you do not have but will need: a competition rear axle housing cover which requires a panhard relocation bracket. A stronger upper control arm will also be needed.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to rwboring

if you want the big block feel go super... but honestly guys there is no feeling like a turbo... but with your bottom end you wont be able to use a turbo to its full capacity... youll just run less boost then you would with a blower and spend more money for it... if your going to build a bottom end then go turbo
rwboring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RedDevil View Post
The aftermarket Roush suspension kit comes with a bunch of stuff for the twisties (Front and Rear sway bars, shocks, struts, springs which lower a stock mustang 1") so you are basically guaranteed to have all that.
What you would have to look for are the Lower Control Arms. Stock Ford Mustangs have big heavy ugly black ones. Roush sells smaller lighter billets ones so you should be able to tell right away as long as you know what you are looking at but I couldn't tell you if they are standard on the Stage 2.
I will guarantee that you do not have but will need: a competition rear axle housing cover which requires a panhard relocation bracket. A stronger upper control arm will also be needed.
..I'm already almost done! w00! so, I need put the car on a lift and look at the LCA ... what am I looking at for the rear axle and housing cover with the relocation bracket with UCA? 2,000ish? I could be unlazy and look for myself... these are all I would really need before I can move on to the next step?

Old 05-20-2008, 02:31 PM   #34

Region: California

i wish i had this kind of money....
sdsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #35
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsguy View Post
i wish i had this kind of money....
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2005-2010 Mustang GT